2018 – Personal projects

James / December 29th, 2017

Been a while since I wrote something here. Just wanted to say I hope you enjoyed all the steady content in 2017. Frequent AVGN Episodes, J&M Mondays, Mimal the Elf, finally sharing my love of music in Playlist Junkie, and weekly movie reviews, some of them massive undertakings (Oz books, Power Rangers, Kongathon, Mandella effect, Top 50 Favorite Films, Son of Monster Madness, etc). 2017 was a very busy year, on top of having a second child born!

In 2018, I plan to spend my time differently, directing more attention on personal projects that are much more time-consuming than the average web videos. Work that goes on behind-the-scenes that may take a long time before you see the final results, possibly years. I still plan to keep content coming as steady as possible. AVGN is still the priority. I also have been trying to make more You Know What’s Bullshit episodes, but years keep passing, and there’s never any free time. I am working to find an opening in the production schedule, to make them happen.

With the personal projects, I am trying to write an atmospheric horror film, the next true Cinemassacre project, going back to my roots. Nothing is set in stone. That’s why I’m in the writing process, to figure it all out, putting my thoughts together, and filtering through my various ideas. If you’ve seen The Jersey Odysseys: Legend of the Blue Hole (2004), Cinemaphobia (2001), The Dragon in my Dreams (2010), the final season of Board James (2015) and AVGN Episode 150: Polybius (2017), you already know my style, and which kind of directions I may possibly take it. I may make a feature length film, a short film, or both. Right now, it’s an open road. I am also trying to write a book on my life story, growing up making movies. There’s lots of personal experiences I’d like to share, and hope to inspire others.

Just letting you know, I’ll be focusing more time working on this long-term creative stuff. I can’t wait for the day to come when you can all see it.

Have a happy new Year!

-James

Comments

• Mac Tonight

December 29, 2017 at 10:21 am

A big thank you for all the free content you provide and the countless hours of laughs you’ve given us over the years James. Excited to see what you bring in 2018 and hope you, your family, Mike and the rest of the Cinemassacre crew have a fantastic New Years!

• December 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Awesome news! I love the video game related content but I’ve also always loved the Cinemassacre stuff. I’ve always wanted to see you make some more original horror work!

• michael Hanley

December 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Great to see you post something here again. Can’t believe I’ve been watching your content for almost 9 years, and It’s just insane to see how far you’ve come. You’ve really helped me through some horrible points in my life, like others I am sure, and am truly thankful for every minute I have spent watching your videos. I’m so excited to see what come of your new project!

• December 29, 2017 at 9:58 pm

So thankful to be able to watch someone like you James, I’ve loved all the work you’ve done through the years. Whatever you want to work on you have my support and I’m sure everyone else as well.

AVGN is actually something I watch every day, as strange as it may seem. There is a good reason though, other than being really entertaining to watch. I have a really bad ringing sound in my ears and it gets worse if I’m tired. So my PC plays the AVGN youtube playlist in the background when I go to bed to help me fall asleep!

Looking forward to seeing more in the future!

• Steven Walker

December 30, 2017 at 9:06 am

The frequent AVGNs were definitely a welcome surprise! I wish I liked the horror genre more, but I’m still on cloud 9 from the AVGN movie, so keep doing what your creativity impels you to do! Thanks for all the great content over the years!

• December 31, 2017 at 7:41 am

You’re an inspiration, James; I admire your discipline and imagination. Good for you for realizing your visions over days, months, and years. Keep creating; I’ll keep watching.

• Adam Livingston

December 31, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for all you’ve done over the years. My family and I ( 5 kids) greatly enjoy everything to do. I’m still hoping for a battle between the Nerd and Gamesack ;)……kinda like the video critic. Heres hoping in 2018. Happy new year to you and your family and thanks for all the hard and great work.

• Mega-Otaku

December 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I can’t wait to read a book by you! I hope we can buy a paperback version of it when it’s released! Also, a new cinemassacre horror movie would be amazing! I really loved The Jersey Odysseys episode you did, and hope we can see more episodes of it one day! Good luck with all your endeavors James! 🙂

• bud

December 31, 2017 at 7:12 pm

A book will be great, as well as any number of original projects (they’ve all been winners thus far). Can’t wait what the forthcoming years have in store. Cinemassacre is good people.

• bud

December 31, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I just watched Cinemassacre Highlights on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt8Ysq3M0us
    Great video to sum it all up! It’s been a great year, especially for the Nerd. Happy New Year to you and yours, Jamesy ol’ pal!

• December 31, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Should be some cool stuff! Looking forward to it!

• Nigel Dreiner

January 1, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Where on earth does he find the time to do all of this stuff? James is truly an inspiration!

• January 1, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Take all the time you need, James. We know it’ll be worth the wait. Follow your passions, it’s when you’re at your very best. Thanks for all the content in the meantime though 🙂

• Crump

January 5, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Looking forward to see what you crank out. If you need any monetary assistance, toss it up on Kickstarter and I’m sure a bunch of fans like myself would be on board to help!