What happened to the Psycho house?

James / November 25th, 2017

Extreme Nerdy Horror Trivia! The history of the original Psycho house, its many changes, and debating if the house that still stands on the Universal Studios backlot is really the original Pyscho house or not. Also discussing its relationship to the Munsters and Elvira Mistress of the Dark house.

Comments

• Anthony33

November 25, 2017 at 10:28 am

I remember the house was also seen in an episode of Thriller called The Purple Room and the motel set used in an episode of Columbo called Negative Reaction.

• gone with the vint

November 26, 2017 at 11:16 am

I guess there are more that one houses around – and when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The house itself is a generic building, that has no specific details in any kind, so it is a copy-and-paste-setting which is useful for a lot of movies. The actual facades are built for a film and built down and maybe stored for whatever reason, but I don’t believe filmmakers store these settings because there might be a possibility of a sequel anytime (to store them would be too expensive and would take too much space) – if you can re-use anything – great! If not, built new ones.

• November 26, 2017 at 3:41 pm

I like your detective work. Could be a new show of its own.

• November 26, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Even our cells die and are renewed. After some years, I guess the whole body is different, except the brain maybe.

• Phillip Johnson

November 26, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I saw it at Universal in the early nineties and the house was only a facade from what I remember. The painter Edward Hopper is pronounced Hopper as in grasshopper not “hooper” btw.

• Matt

November 30, 2017 at 2:39 am

Yes, really loving these historical/investigative cinema-related videos. Great work, and I hope to see more!

• 3936

December 2, 2017 at 8:52 am

Look at the dimensions on the tower, especially from the roof line to the windows, clearly different towers. That should clear up most of the confusion.

• FJMcCloud

December 6, 2017 at 2:58 am

It also shows up in the Knight Rider season 3 episode called “Halloween Knight”, where Michael Knight says “Boy this place looks really familiar.” The episode features a character named Norman Banes.