Simon’s Quest (NES) James & Mike Mondays

Mike Matei / October 30th, 2017

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (NES) James & Mike Mondays

Comments

• Fred . Fuchs

October 30, 2017 at 8:35 am

No Eternal Darkness or Binding of Isaac? I’m disappointed.

• October 30, 2017 at 10:48 am

Bleh!

I know, Dracula never said that.

• PsychoNerd

October 30, 2017 at 12:02 pm

There actually is a fan remake called Castlevania II: Simon Quest Revamped. The graphics have been updated, it includes a save feature, and plenty of other improvements. You guys should check it out.

• Phoenix7786

October 30, 2017 at 12:22 pm

There’s also Dracula’s Curse Redacted, which he covered in another video.

I went through Remastered. It’s really good!

• JayRam

November 1, 2017 at 10:30 am

Am I just not looking hard enough? Can’t seem to find much info on Dracula’s Curse Redacted.

• Ben Albright

November 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Redacted is completely outdated and inferior to several romhacks that came afterward.

• frostare

October 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I actually wonder if Zelda 2 borrowed some elements from Dragon Quest I & II. I mean, Erdrick’s grave is IN Zelda 2, they obviously knew the game.

• Terrible-D

October 30, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I’ve had that t-shirt in my ebay shopping cart for almost a year.

• IronJustice

October 31, 2017 at 12:12 am

Awesome vid guys, very insightful.

• Matt

October 31, 2017 at 10:23 am

So excited to see this. As an ’80s kid myself (born in ’80), I just so happened to get Simon’s Quest before the original Castlevania, so it always has a special place in my heart, so to speak. Cheers for this play-through!

• Matt

October 31, 2017 at 10:27 am

Side note, James’ shirt is awesome.

• James Gardiner

October 31, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Another point to support James’ theory about all the endings is the time of day the endings take place in. The worst ending – which happens when you take 15 or more day cycles takes place at night. The middle ending, which happens between 8 and 14 cycles takes place at twilight and the good ending, which takes place during the day, happens when you complete the game in 7 or less cycles. The theme here being the longer the player takes to defeat Dracula the further in the day the ending scene should take place in.

• Vinz Clortho

October 31, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Do any of you Cinemassochists know whether this game really did have an unforgiving production schedule or similar horror story? Never having owned this title as a kid, I never took a close look at the game. But J & M make some good points; the omissions are weird, and the open-world implementation is pretty half-baked. What’s the real story with this one?

• Samuel Stinson

October 31, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Here is the secret to jumping from the blocks over water: jump as the block is lifting to the highest point. That will make you jump higher and farther. 36m in.

• yesitisi

November 2, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I live in Tokyo. The building you’re thinking of, with Godzilla attacking it, is Toho Cinema in Shinjuku. There’s also a little Godzilla statue in Hibiya, near the Toho offices, surrounded by signature plaques.

• ABC

November 3, 2017 at 12:05 pm

It’s cool to have friends that like video games too. Cool video. Simon’s Quest gives me nostalgia too. I didn’t buy it but played it early in my life and thought it was a wonderful game. It wasn’t later till I could beat it. Didn’t like getting stuck but still fun. Faxanadu is similar to this I think. You should do a video on that sometime.

• November 4, 2017 at 1:42 am

I’d like to see you two react to watching this! It’s really old, but I think James would love it. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/23909?id=23909

• Wandall

November 5, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Hey that website is a finnish web-site! .fi is finnish national ending for a domain! Wee! 😀