Ghost House (Sega Master System)

Mike Matei / October 23rd, 2017

James and Mike play Ghost House for Sega Master System

Comments

• Hobgoblinbutter

October 23, 2017 at 7:21 pm

that was hilarious to see James go from saying “this game isn’t so bad” to “COME ON GIVE ME A CHANCE”. Would you guys consider playing Captain Novolin or Boogerman?

• WillG

October 23, 2017 at 9:28 pm

You didn’t have to wait until Dracula changed out of being a bat to damage him. He could be damaged in Bat form. Also you could jump on enemies (especially useful for those big orange things). Passing over a candle holder on the wall triggers the knife that flies at you. You could jump on the knife and then you could temporarily weild it (useful against Dracula). Passing over a table lamp (the Genie type) triggered the missle. If you jumped on enough of those flying missles you would get temporary invincibility (though it wasn’t all that useful). The floor traps were indicated by an elongated brick. And if you thought it was hard in the beginning, good thing you didn’t see the later stages.

Also not that each time you defeated a Dracula, you obtained a jewel that showed at the top of the screen. The instruction book refered to them as the “Family Jewels” (seriously)

• Mick

November 3, 2017 at 7:10 pm

I see you were a fellow Ghost House victim, WillG. I was thinking the same things as I watched them playing. They also didn’t comment on the arcade-style griefing going on with the bats, daggers and arrows acting as a session limiter. The programmers were still designing to eat quarters on a game that doesn’t take them.

• Tim Miller

October 23, 2017 at 9:32 pm

This would’ve (can still?) made a great Nerd episode. Your organic progression from “Well shit this isn’t bad, especially for the time it was released” to the (completed justified) “WHAT THE FUCK, HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO THIS?!” feels like it was made for classic AVGN. It’s not too late though, you guys have a done a J&MM -> AVGN episode before (Beavis and Butthead).

• Corey Keesler

October 23, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Yeah avgn this piece of fucking goat shit

• WillG

October 23, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Yeah but as I indicated above, they missed a lot of shit that would have made it easier for them (namely that you can attack and kill Dracula in bat form. It’s too bad that they didn’t learn the hard way though that if you punched a defeated Dracula’s beating heart, he comes back to life). It’s not a very good game, but it’s not enough of a mess to be nerd worthy (unless you count the insane difficultly of the later stages)

• Corey Keesler

October 23, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Glad to see jame s playing something other than polybius I was getting worried 😉

• Isaac Heres

October 24, 2017 at 6:25 am

Hey guys, I’m Isaac. I finally decided to be registered to this site. I’ve been a fan of James Rolfe since 2006.

What brought me here to signed up and be able to leave a comment is that there were times that James and Mike played a Sega Master System game. I as a kid growned up with the Sega Master System and I had Ghost House and there are many things that I felt that I knew better then them about this game. There is a lot of things I want to go over.

JAMES AND MIKE IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS, THIS MAY HELP YOU

For starters, those light bulb things you mention that makes the screen white and freeze everything IS limited, and they are only good for to freeze Dracula. There are like 4 or 5 Draculas that you have to defeat to clear the level and use the light bulb as your advantage
    You never bothered to go into any of the black doors, they teleport you to a different random spot
    Those arrows or knife that scrolls by are to be used as a weapon and you get it by jumping on them. There are two kinds of these knifes going by colored Red and Yellow, the red knife is your weapon to fight Dracula and that red fire-breathing character. The other knife or arrow whatever you want to call them, you have to duck and not get hit. They are just like a booby trap.

• Anthony33

October 25, 2017 at 11:36 pm

There seems to be a little glow in the spots where you fall through. Hard to see, but it’s there.

• Mick

November 3, 2017 at 7:14 pm

The “mirrors” can be used to warp to different parts of the screen, too. You can use candles and fireplace lamps to stab Draculas, though that’s more luck than anything. The light pause is the way to kill them best. Thanks for the horrible memories. This was a frustrating turd even when I got decent at playing it.