Solomon’s Key (NES) James & Mike Mondays

Mike Matei / August 14th, 2017

James and Mike play Solomon’s Key for NES!!

Comments

• navinrjohnson

August 14, 2017 at 8:45 am

My dad got me this game for my birthday when I turned 12, along with Alpha Mission. You guys got about as far as I ever did. After that, it gets insanely hard. The only thing this game is lacking is a level select screen, like Wrecking Crew. It does get a little tedious going through all the levels again every time you play.

If you get the symbols in the fourth stage of each level it takes you to a bonus level where you can get more points and fairies. Collecting 10 fairies gets you an extra life.

• navinrjohnson

August 14, 2017 at 10:57 am

Also, I just fired up my copy of Solomon’s Key and discovered, accidentally, that those weird diamond shaped items you collect can be changed to one of four items if you try to turn it into a block, one of which is a fireball. It does give a different kind of strategy element to the game.

• NashKnight

August 14, 2017 at 5:42 pm

You just blew my mind! Gotta try it asap

• NashKnight

August 14, 2017 at 9:37 am

I had this game on my C64 as a kid, and the file name was solomonkey, so for the longest time I thought that the name of the game was Solo Monkey, like, the guy was a monkey and he went solo on missions 🙂

• ssokolow

August 14, 2017 at 2:42 pm

This game reminds me of Escape Goat… I loved Escape Goat.

• Bryce Neuner

August 14, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Hey gang! Has Mike said where he picked up that Breath of the Wild poster on his wall? You can see it pretty clearly in the introduction to this video, (it’s just to the right of him). I’ve been trying to figure it out in his live streams and I can’t find it for sale. It looks like maybe it’s a Japanese import? Anyways, thanks for any info!

• Rygar1

August 14, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Great video! Need to try this game for sure.

• Weldin Dunn

August 14, 2017 at 10:50 pm

This game was made by Tecmo, you know, like Tecmo Bowl and more notoriously, Dead or Alive Xtreme. The similarities between these two games are quite apparent. Dana is clearly going to save his bikini wearing princess.

• Phoenix7786

August 15, 2017 at 1:47 am

This looks like a great episode for one of those little animated clips.

• Joe

August 16, 2017 at 10:14 am

Great game. The sequel is similar mechanically, but plays very different in execution. Dana can’t jump, and can only create blocks in front of him, but at foot level. The blocks are also ice so he can push them or freeze them to other items and most of the enemies are stationary fireballs. It’s more of a puzzle game with little to no action, but also really good. And also really expensive to buy a cart of it these days since it was released so late in the NES lifecycle.