Planet of the Apes – Sequels/ Reboots

James / June 30th, 2017

A speed review of all the Planet of the Apes sequels/reboots.

Comments

• NashKnight

June 30, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I loved the original, but I found the recent remake almost unwatchable. The apes are too noticeably CGI and they don’t move like apes, but rather like Spiderman. And more important, the movie completely missed the point of the original classic.

• joysynthesis

June 30, 2017 at 7:58 pm

I liked “Rise,” but you’re not wrong.

• Shannon Gold

June 30, 2017 at 4:52 pm

As I always say… when in doubt… blame James Franco… in other news… awesome review James!

• itscmillertime

June 30, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I also have been meaning to watch the cartoon and live action show. I have them on DVD but have only watched a couple episodes. Pretty good from what I remember but makeup in the show is a little lazy.

• itscmillertime

June 30, 2017 at 5:00 pm

The only thing I disagree with you on is the most recent film. It was pretty forgettable for me. I may need to watch it again some time.

• IronJustice

June 30, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Awesome, I very much agree. Except I despise the 2001 Burton version. The characters are unlikable and the story really seems to stumble along.

• Weldin Dunn

June 30, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I’ll have to give some of these a watch… but not all.

• Blutspan

June 30, 2017 at 7:06 pm

James, I’d like to hear more of what you think about Escape. I personally found this one so corny, and also very dull and boring, that I could only watch about a half hour of it. Most reviews of it are positive. I just don’t get it. Just looking at brief clips of it makes me sick. There’s something so bland and awkward about seeing those apes interact with normal everyday humans on normal everyday earth. Sure, I could try watching it again – and maybe I’d understand what’s enjoyable about it – but I’m just not convinced that I’m missing much by not seeing it. It’s about as appealing to me as a generic romantic comedy (in other words, it seems to have as small of a chance of being enjoyable to me as romantic comedies do).

• Blutspan

June 30, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Also, I was surprised to hear you describe Beneath as just being “weird.” I know you’ve seen a lot of other truly bizarre movies, so it seemed… “weird” that you’d call this one “weird.” The movie was weak overall but the setting and premise were interesting, or at least noble attempts at being so (which you kind of pointed out in the review).

• itscmillertime

June 30, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I think escape is great! It starts off with a great 70s feel. Also the way the humans take advantage of the apes is a pretty good precursor for things to come.

• Blutspan

July 1, 2017 at 1:27 am

It’s honestly been a very long time since I tried to watch it. I just wanted to hear more people’s opinions on it.

• joysynthesis

June 30, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Great video, James! Here are my ratings:

PotA (original): Five apes
    Rise: Three apes
    Every other film: One ape.

• RMBowie

July 2, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I did not like the new ones the original is still better

• mike bray

July 6, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Planet of The Apes is my favorite Sci-Fi series. I love the original the most and the Blu-ray copy of Conquest is my next favorite as it is R-rated and a must see. I would rate the other 3, 3/4 stars each except Beneath maybe 2//2 and the re-imagining cgi fests are watchable but nothing to impressive or memorable, 2 1/2/4 and Burton’s 0/4, what a terrible film from such a great filmmaker. I enjoyed the live action tv series, but still have not seen the animated series.

• Corey Citrin

July 7, 2017 at 12:20 pm

I loved Rise and Dawn. It cave the explanation of how the Apes got intelligent and the downfall of humanity.

• Corey Citrin

July 7, 2017 at 12:24 pm

The original Ape sequels except Escape got worse because of Fox. They cut the budget especially in Beneath. Watch the General’s speech and you would notice ape masks instead of makeup.

• July 8, 2017 at 2:09 am

The Planet of Apes makeover is awesome to see.The concept of the movie is clear that if we disrespect any creature of environment can be overtaken by that creature in coming years, this is the best example of showing this happen to the world so not to make any living creature into the cage and cannot be brutally tamed.