AVGN: Sega Activator COMMENTARY

James / June 21st, 2017

Commentary by James Rolfe, on Angry Video Game Nerd: Episode 143: Sega Activator Interactor Menacer, the Christmas special from 2016.

See Keith Apiary’s channel

See composer Andreas Hedlund’s site

Comments

• RichterBelmont

June 21, 2017 at 11:25 am

FUN episode! Love the creativity brought to this one and that James keeps things fresh with AGVN.

• y2j420

June 21, 2017 at 11:50 am

I like turtles…and this episode.

• June 21, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I guess the negative comments on AVGN episode 143 came mostly from hardcore-AVNG-only fans, not Cinemassacre fans. I wonder if those people are fond of James original stuff, such as The Dragon in My Dreams, The Deader the Better, the location tours, Legend of the Blue Hole, the Astro Bastards and so on… Remember, my friends: Cinemassacre is about making movies (videogames are just one of the possible topics to be covered).
    To the Cinemassacre crew: keep up the good work! You’re doing great. The videos just keep getting better. Too bad not everyone sees it this way.
    Best regards from Brazil.
    Up the Irons!!

• Weldin Dunn

June 21, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I’m one of those hardcore cinemassacre fans who really likes the whole site and has seen most of the videos. (If you wanna watch some that aren’t up anymore I recommend the channel lost cinemassacre videos.) I, however, didn’t really care for this video. It felt kinda dumb, but not the kind I usually like from some cinemassacre videos like J&MM. Although I didn’t like it, I still really appreciate the video and all the work. Different things need to be tried in order to keep things fresh and to see if you like that style. I didn’t like it, but I see why someone would.

• frostare

June 21, 2017 at 12:42 pm

This is exactly how I feel The Nerd and Keith Apicary would do an episode together but, taking it a step further: I didn’t expect the 90s-styled commercials! Fun stuff.

• frostare

June 21, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I also gotta say I loved how The Nerd’s destruction mostly comes from anger while Keith destroy by ingenuity. They both thrash that place like it was an It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World gas station. Andreas Hedlund’s tracks shine the most in this here too. I loved this episode!

• June 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I’m now curious about how much money on average a youtube video of yours gives..

• Pablo1989

June 21, 2017 at 7:51 pm

James dont mind that negative aspect. Its more important to experinet doing new concent not just reapating same sh.t again and again.

There to many Lets Players on YouTube. Why just these folks cant die? thier concent killing YouTube Thats not all! they olso calling himselfs Divas because they rich and powerfull.

• klaus84

June 21, 2017 at 9:02 pm

james, i think we all owe you a big thanks for not only putting together a good episode, but also explaining to us what goes into film making and actually showing us step by step. who needs college?! lol. your awesome and a big inspiration to many. keep up the good work! cheers!

• AbareKiller

June 21, 2017 at 10:37 pm

This was personally among my least favorite episodes, just not what I like to see, but very well done for what it is, and I have much more respect for it after listening to the commentary.

• Satnav

June 22, 2017 at 10:50 am

In all honesty I felt the slapstick felt a bit too fast and needed more setup, but I definitely liked the old commercial throwbacks. I also felt Keith needed more introduction, I had no idea who this guy was. So, it didn’t all work for me, but I did appreciate some of it and what James was going for–I definitely get the need to mix it up after over a decade…

• itscmillertime

June 22, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Google “keith apicary commercial” you will realize you have seen this guy more than you think.

• Hanglyman

June 22, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Wow, you must have gotten a lot of criticism for this one… you sound pretty defensive in the commentary. I personally thought it was dumb but fun, and liked the insanely gratuitous over-the-top smashing of everything. You’ve done other stuff I haven’t enjoyed, and I’ve even criticized it here and there, but always respectfully, I hope. You keep experimenting- most of us, at least, will support you regardless of our opinion of any particular episode.

• Jamiesonofabitch

June 23, 2017 at 10:46 am

It was a good episode, man.
    Don’t worry about the idiots who want the same crap.

• Zolcos

June 23, 2017 at 11:47 am

I love the commentary on the episode itself but it seems like a waste to spend so much time talking about the youtube comments it got. Haters gonna hate, who cares?

• rigormortiz

July 1, 2017 at 3:58 am

James, you shouldn’t worry about people not appreciating your work, i think, like you said, many new school gamers won’t appreciate it because of the fact that they grew up in different timelines, most of your fans like yours truly grew up in the same timeline. Given said that i thought that episode was fucking HILARIOUS, i was cracking up because, yes, gamers around that timeline WILL know exactly what you are talking about while other younger gamers won’t. I was a little surprised about this video because it seems like you are giving an explanation as why this video was done the way it was, i’m sure that a very high percentage of your fans know and appreciate what you do, i’ve been a fan of yours for YEARS and keep coming back for what you and the crew do to give us a laugh or simply be some source of retro-gaming history info. To not make this any longer i will say one thing only..YOU GUYS FUCKING ROCK AND KEEP THE MAYHEM/RETRO HUMOR GOING (which most of your true fans will get) GOING!!!. Btw loved your movie as well so fuck any stupid trolls out there. Looking forward to see what’s next at CINEMASSACRE!

• rigormortiz

July 1, 2017 at 4:39 am

In addition, your comment on “you know what’s bullshit, the comments” seems to me that you are getting tired of that (and i don’t blame you). A humble opinion, the greater you get, the harsher the comments you will get from trolls not worth the headache. LONG LIVE THE NERD!

• dumb shit