Dr. Mario Level 20 – James & Mike Mondays

Mike Matei / June 5th, 2017

James and Mike Play Dr. Mario Level 20

Comments

• yoyodave

June 5, 2017 at 2:33 am

Holy crap so intense hahaha Thanks for the upload!
    Hey Mike, what happened to your Super Metroid streams, decided to save it for a J&MM? And still hoping you’ll come back and finish Breath of the Wild, loved that series! One more suggestion, Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Genesis 😉

• ssokolow

June 5, 2017 at 2:37 am

I highly recommend Tetris & Dr. Mario. It’s basically Super Mario All-Stars for the NES versions of Tetris and Dr. Mario.

…but with a new “Mixed Match Mode” competitive option that, because of its “both games, spread across three rounds” design, can wind up looking like “Tetris vs. Dr. Mario” if one player clears lines faster than the other.

Also, in case you didn’t notice in post, the “reached a certain milestone” noise marked the death of the last blue virus. (See the magnifying glass on the left-hand side)

• June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am

There’s another one I like on Snes, Tetris Attack. It’s pretty, dynamic and full of Yoshis and critters.

• Weldin Dunn

June 5, 2017 at 11:39 am

I could play Dr Mario for hours. I find it oddly relaxing, even though it’s supposed to be such a fast paced game.

• joysynthesis

June 5, 2017 at 12:43 pm

The sound at 12:22 is the game letting you know that the last blue virus has been eliminated 🙂

• mrgerrit

June 5, 2017 at 3:38 pm

I know you guys don’t like it, but for practice purpose use a emulator and save up just before you beat level 20 so can get a fresh level each try.

• June 5, 2017 at 3:52 pm

I worked out a Game Genie code to let you select any possible level: NNNPKZGO

• navinrjohnson

June 5, 2017 at 9:39 pm

OK, so I just fired up my Dr. Mario…
    I’m quite good at it, and I regularly play level 20 (on low speed, I’m not a freak or anything…)
    Level 20 has 84 viruses (it says it on the bottom right), and every level after 20 has 84 viruses. The game will not advance above level 24, at least on low speed. Every level after you complete 24 is still level 24, and I haven’t noticed a difference in speed or anything.

That might be different on other speeds. I haven’t tried the other ones yet. I might not be able to do those at all.

Watching you guys play was funny. You miss opportunities. You should watch where your pill remainders go. A lot of the time, when you get four in a row, there’s a half pill that’ll drop. You should pay attention to where that half pill goes. If you play it right, you can plan for an advantageous place for that half pill, and that’ll set you up for other drops later.

• June 6, 2017 at 12:12 am

Mike won’t admit it, but he’s much much more skilled than James haha…

• Gorlomi

June 6, 2017 at 5:06 am

Speaking of Columns, Columns III has a single-player “story mode” with cutscenes and different enemies. My grandpa used to play it a lot but still couldn’t beat. You should try it.

• June 11, 2017 at 12:29 am

James Has Now Yet Done ON AVGN Yet Any OF Thomas the Tank Engine Video Games You Guys Should Do These

• Tim Gold

June 11, 2017 at 7:43 am

This was one of the games I grew up with, and one that my parents played the most. My dad got so good that he actually beat 20 on high multiple times. I got good enough to beat 20 on medium, but never on high. On the medium and high levels, you’ll get a cut scene in every 5th level. (5,10,15,20) 20 high has the spaceship you mentioned.

• Caine Montana

June 18, 2017 at 4:05 pm

JAMES I JUST CHEATED ON DR MARIO OUT OF CURIOSITY IT ONLY GOES TO LEVEL 24 AND KEEPS REPEATING THERE IS NO CREDITS OR GAME COMPLETE TYPE SCREEN