Sony PlayStation – Talk About Games

Mike Matei / May 27th, 2017

Mike and Ryan have a casual conversation about the original Sony PlayStation game console!

Comments

• call me squinky

May 27, 2017 at 8:25 pm

The Playstation truly was/is one of the greatest consoles and I think the quality of the library, especially with story driven games, is what started the shift in perception that video games weren’t just for geeks.

• call me squinky

May 27, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Someone on the YouTube channel posted a great example of Soul Reaver. The whole Legacy of Kain series is a personal favourite and one of the reasons is the quality voice acting, especially Simon Templeman as Kain. I think a Top 10 voice acting performances would make a great video. Unfortunately it’s almost guaranteed a tonne of thumbs down due to the fact that some people find personal opinions both wrong and insulting, but I would be interested in your opinions. Simon Templeman, David Hayter and Mark Hammill would make my list.

• May 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Classic

• emanresu

May 27, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I’d certainly like the PlayStation a whole lot more if most 3D games weren’t a nightmarish mess of jittering polygons.

• Don Skiver

May 27, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Ok Mike talk about fair comparisons. Don’t compare a space shooter to an epic RPG. Super Nintendo had it’s share of Squaresoft masterpieces too. I would also argue that Super Nintendo games, pound for pound, megabyte for megabyte, had more depth to them. Yes it’s impressive to span a video game across 3-4 CD-ROMS…until you see that the game is bloated due to CG cutscenes.

• Grandmasterp

May 27, 2017 at 10:12 pm

The original PlayStation had a plethora of kick-ass games. Lots of great franchises got there start here too. GTA, Silent Hill, Resident evil, MOH etc.

• Grandmasterp

May 27, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Having real music from actual rock bands blew my freakin’ mind back then.

• May 28, 2017 at 12:33 am

That synthesizer jingle when you’d boot the ps1 though… Pretty much a nostalgic eargasm.

• Tross

May 28, 2017 at 2:40 am

Interestingly enough, I remember sticking a CD Rom PC game in my PS1 back in the day, because I was a kid and liked to try stuff like that, and it actually treated it like an audio CD of the game’s soundtrack. It was the strangest thing but yeah, that’s a feature that the PS1 has that’s more or less unknown.

• Slamraptor

May 28, 2017 at 7:55 am

Such a great system I have tons of fond memories. (:

• Pablo1989

May 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm

My fav PS1 game was Re-Volt its little shame today Re-Volt name are destroyed by some game corp who cares about money rather game functionality.

• megajef

May 29, 2017 at 1:22 am

Playstation is kind of the puberty of video game history. It made a lot of strides from gaming for kids to gaming for adults but was also filled with a lot of awkwardness.

• Stephen Allison

May 29, 2017 at 3:03 am

No mention of Einhander? That is my favorite PS1 game and one of my all-time favorites of any platform! I suppose it was overshadowed by other Squaresoft titles at the time, but looking back it is the most enjoyable game on PS1 to revisit today. Timeless gameplay and soundtrack!

Einhander really is one for cinemassacre to try, I think you guys will love it.

• mysterywolf

May 30, 2017 at 3:20 am

I played a LOT of FF7, FFT, and…

Harvest Moon Back To Nature.

The harvest moon games weren’t console specific (There was one on N64 too) but I like Back To Nature more- more than the other Harvest Moon game series.

• Paulballsftw

June 2, 2017 at 8:36 pm

The PS1 and N64 was the Atari of 3D games. They were hard to less detailed and polygonal. At that time I knew someone who had a N64 and someone who had a PS1 before I got anything. I kinda felt PS was more cutting edge and had different games I wasn’t used to and was so impressed with having live real footage in some of the games. To me it just made the games seem better and stand out. Before Gran Turismo there was Need for Speed that had clips of real cars in it. I just thought it was better than just a game. I had to get the PS1 instead of N64 and I was a die hard NES and SNES fan. I was around 17 at the time so I guess I wanted more adult games to play. I still think PS1 and PS2 was the start but not really the polished system until the PS3 and PS4 with the HD graphics. Nintendo to me will forever be about the classic 2D platformers. I do think Mario 64 was good but I just never really accepted it.

• Paulballsftw

June 2, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Oops I meant the PS1 and N64 were like Atari of 3D games cause they were hard to tell what you were looking at because of less detail and polygonal.

• Pixie_Sophie

June 5, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins is my favorite Playstation game, and I’d say it’s got one of the best game soundtracks of all time.

• michael marien

June 6, 2017 at 12:27 am

i remember when playstaion came out out i was like sony the radio comppany making a console called playstation it sounded pretty GAY at the time but the system is did change basically everything RIP SEGA

• Captn Gore

June 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm

This is the era that ages the worst. Nintendo had huge empty environment and PS had infernal loading times of doom. I have a really hard time going back to this, even though both console had their shares of instant classics. Oh and do not ever mention Mega Man Legend again xD