Famous Elusive/Unconfirmed Movie/TV Quotes (PART 3)

James / April 28th, 2017

Comments

• Tim Harrod

April 28, 2017 at 11:28 am

Finally, something I know more about than James!

Gilbert Gottfried, who came up through the New York comedy scene at the same time as Seinfeld, has for decades done Seinfeld impressions that make heavy use of “WHOOO are these people?” He even did it on “Married… With Children” (link below).

The line was also used in the SNL sketch James mentions. My academic conjecture is that Jerry used the line at some point in his early stand-up career, Gilbert remembered it and helped to associate the line with Jerry in the public’s mind.

• NashKnight

April 28, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Don’t take my word for it, but I kind of remember Jerry saying “What is the deal with…” in his stand-up video “I’m telling you for the last time”

• Jonah Schwartz

April 28, 2017 at 4:20 pm

James, “The Usual Suspects” has “In a world”

• barlitone

April 28, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Let’s not forget Star Trek’s Dr. Bones McCoy’s famous “Dammit, Jim/Man, I’m a doctor, not a (alternate profession)!”, a line he used so many times that it ended up being used in the alternate timeline movies as an eyewink reference. Except, of course, that DeForest Kelley he never really said that phrase like that. It was the spoofs of Star Trek that provided that particular delivery.

• Hanglyman

May 2, 2017 at 10:31 pm

He does say “I’m a doctor, not a (whatever)” several times, and I think he says “Dammit Jim/man” several times too, but sure enough, I couldn’t find them paired together.

• Joao Paulo Simao

April 29, 2017 at 6:38 am

I had a vivid memory of Elaine saying “Who are these people?” in the episode where they start a trend of eating Snickers bars with knife and fork:
    But, in reality, she says “What is wrong with all you people?”. Oh well, you can’t win them all…

• scottdk4

April 29, 2017 at 4:34 pm

“Who are these people?” was part of “Stand Up & Win”!!!

• Joker83

May 5, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I love Seinfeld!! Wish there was a Seinfeld SNES game for AVGN to Review.