Empire Strikes Back (SNES) Full Playthrough

Mike Matei / April 11th, 2017

This is a full playthrough of Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back for Super Nintendo by Mike Matei. This playthrough was recorded on brave difficulty. I did several playthroughs of this game prior to recording this video. The playthrough before this, I made it to the Walker interior and then lost the plasma, so I restarted the game from the beginning. Basically losing the plasma isn’t really an option for me. You’re pretty screwed without it. Reason I mention this is that’s my main advice with the game, never lose your powered up weapon.

Comments

• April 11, 2017 at 10:39 am

I can’t watch all of the playthrough yet, but I’m damn curious on how you’ll beat Darth Vader at the end. I NEVER could beat him.

• April 11, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I don’t have much of a method. But I would try blocking his attacks with Lukes Saber and then trying to get in one or two swipes. Then I hop around a lot, avoiding him hoping that he’ll go into force mode, with all the stuff floating around. Basically my whole goal is to get him to do that, because you can get force energy out of the junk flying around. Once you get some, heal. Then go in and attack. Rinse and Repeat, then towards the end the stuff starts flying around like crazy and at that point it’s easy.

• Liz

April 11, 2017 at 11:23 am

This is so therapeutic. This was a beast for me. I couldn’t get past that giant Wampa.

• Jabisquar

April 11, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Great game, but hard as hell!

• fallout1312

April 11, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Mike, I really really love watching your playthroughs. Thanks for doing them.

• Ionic Bond

April 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Mike. Oh, Mike. Your comments in this video have raised my nerd-ire to the point I actually created an account to leave a reply.

Many of the enemies in this game are indeed straight out of Empire, and while I will not make a flow chart or whatever, I will point them out to you. You’re correct that the green fellow at 1:10:30 is Bossk, one of the bounty hunters enlisted by Vader to find Han and the gang. As is the guy at 1:11:31, 4-Lom, and at 1:12:32 we have Dengar (bounty hunter, not a He-Man villain), and at 1:12:49 is Zuckuss, with the droid bounty hunter IG-88 rounding out the cast at 1:18:25. Those little dudes at 1:17:15 are the guys on Bespin tossing around C-3PO’s body parts when Chewbacca finds him after he’s been blown up (apparently these guys are called Ugnaughts, which I did not know).

IG-88 was as far as I got before I was overwhelmed with nerd-rage and had to post this comment, so there might be other stupid shit you didn’t know later in the video as well. I will, however, stand by your assertion that Han Solo never fights a giant spider in the movie. Not even in one of the Special Editions.

• April 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I love the movies but I don’t know the names of all the minor characters. They probably don’t say the names of most of them in the movie I’d imagine.

• April 11, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Funnily, Ewok is a name never mentioned in any of the movies, ever. Yet we all know their name lol

• Ionic Bond

April 12, 2017 at 12:49 pm

They don’t even say Boba Fett’s name until Han accidentally knocks him into the Sarlacc.

• klaus84

April 13, 2017 at 3:36 pm

hahahaahahahah IONIC BOND, good stuff, that comment needed to be said. in 93′ as 9 yr old, i knew the names of these guys. mike, get with the program bro. lol. mike, thanks for the awesome play through.

• Jynito Syventi

April 11, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Great playthrough Mike!

• Satnav

April 11, 2017 at 9:28 pm

In regards to Flash Gordon, I think Lucas has only ever talked about the serials, mentioning seeing them while growing up in his hometown

• April 11, 2017 at 10:20 pm

You’re more trekkie than star warsie, heh Mike? 😛

• April 12, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Yeah. I like that each episode of Star Trek has a different sci-fi plot. It’s much better writing.
      I like the Twilight Zone better than either of them though.

• May 11, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Yeah twilight zone is phenomenal. The outer limits were not as varied as Twilight, but mesmerizing to watch too.

• Hanglyman

April 11, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t think this game is incredibly difficult? I used to play the whole trilogy as a kid and I could beat them all without any trouble. It feels weird to see you beat games I probably never could, then you describe this one as “maybe the hardest of all”. In my opinion the hardest part is that jump in Cloud City where you have to be right on the very edge or you just hit the side of the platform and fall to your death.

• Gavin Elster

April 12, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Thats a crazy game. The trilogy is isanely dificult.

• Astrovus

April 12, 2017 at 2:47 pm

LOL

• klaus84

April 13, 2017 at 3:41 pm

i beat this game on a winter afternoon home sick from school back in the daaaaay. still remember it to vividly. thanks for the nostalgia. you def. did better than i did. vader at the end, wow.

• Kyle Harmon

April 17, 2017 at 1:50 am

Friday the 13th: Full Playthrough. If you can beat Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde than you can do this. I have faith in you

• Anthony33

April 20, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Excellent run. Quite “impressive”, if I do say so myself.