Mike’s RGB Scart Game Room Update

Mike Matei / March 16th, 2017

This Game Room update mainly concerns Mike’s switch from AV composite to RGB Scart. Part of our ongoing quest to bring Cinemassacre fans the best possible gameplay footage from consoles.

Comments

• Phoenix7786

March 16, 2017 at 2:57 am

For once I get to say f___t 😀

On a more serious note, does this mean we’ll see Secret of Mana on a Monday? Or perhaps a fan-patched Secret of Evermore?

• y2j420

March 17, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Lame, Phoenix7786, lame.

• Bamahut

March 16, 2017 at 3:02 am

That’s a really nice upgrade to your previous setup Mike, I’m myself starting to get some sort of system going like this as well minus the recording as I don’t stream. Thanks for keeping us updated on those changes.

• March 16, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Sure just copy my comment from the last video, execpt now it’s easier foe me, since I lost half my stuff from then…

• March 16, 2017 at 11:27 am

I’d just as soon watch Alien Resurrection on a 24 hour loop than have to untangle all those wires and have to move that whole setup somewhere else. But hey everything works and these are the things we have to do.

• Paulballsftw

March 16, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Doesn’t matter what wires you use it matters what the display is. What’s with the cheap Element TV? Maybe a new TV is your next upgrade?

• March 16, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Hell Yeah, but he vouches for it (Y)

• March 19, 2017 at 11:15 pm

He says that he has a 65-inch TV, he probably moved it to another room (it was a 4K Samsung). But now he has a perfect screen for retro games, an RGB Sony monitor.

• March 16, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I remebmer connectin NES to Amstrad CPC monitor,i was only 2 colors:blue and yellow.

• March 16, 2017 at 1:36 pm

The image is better.

• Fluxcapacitor121

March 16, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Omg… Secret of Mana never looked better! Hope to see this on [email protected] Monday!

• March 16, 2017 at 10:17 pm

It is NOT overkill, to want your Intellevision R/G/B. I know I would, and hopefully will. Those games are BOSS! And I noticed a similar problem with N64 on a HD-TV, how would I get and HD output on mine?

• March 17, 2017 at 3:16 am

That’s one crazy setup so meany cords.

• March 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I’ve got that same model of PVM and love it! BTW Mike, if you haven’t already, you might want to look into downloading my custom integer-based profiles for 1080p Framemeister output. You may have already been told about them from Bob over at RetroRGB (btw, I bought his black N64 UltraHDMI console that you were borrowing last year). Anyway, I’m currently working on new 720 profiles in anticipation of 4k TVs becoming more popular as time goes on (they scale better with 720 than they do with 1080 signals). But I’m also going to be making some new PC-Engine and Jaguar profiles as well soon. Cheers!

• AtmaWeapon

March 17, 2017 at 10:12 pm

We need to see how looks Perfect Dark 64 with your HD N64!!! :O

• Tross

March 18, 2017 at 2:15 am

Well, in your defense Mike, all your consoles also help make you money. Most of us don’t make money playing videogames, so in your case maybe RGB modding so many consoles makes sense. I recall you saying something last year about how upgrading to SCART would be too much of a hassle, but I imagine the amount of retro gaming you do factored into your decision to come around to it.

• March 18, 2017 at 7:38 am

I still prefer crt over lcd.

• Don Skiver

March 18, 2017 at 10:50 am

You know what breaks my heart? Seeing all this money and effort being put into video, but nothing into audio…

• ssokolow

March 18, 2017 at 7:26 pm

To be fair, there’s not really much that can be done about audio unless you want to get into *really* fancy internal console mods akin to installing an NTSC/PAL switch into your Genesis.

Mike’s already getting the audio digitized into an HDMI audio stream as early in the chain as possible and I doubt adding shielding to the analog parts of the trip would be worth the trouble and expense.

• March 19, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Don was probably more referring to the dinky speakers instead of a full-blown A/V receiver amplifiers and big-ass floor speakers. But I will say that my SNES mini with the digital audio mod does sound much crisper on my receiver. That one is at least worth doing if you have the means.

• ssokolow

March 18, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Mike, just in case you were too busy to find out about it, you CAN mod your top-loading NES to output RGB.

There’s a board called the NESRGB which can be installed into top-loading NES units if you buy a pin-adapter for it and it basically overrides and replaces bits of the NES’s PPU with higher-quality alternatives.

RGB output, no additional lag, and you can toggle between three different palettes (NES, Improved, Playchoice-10) as well as switching back to the old Composite output, if you install a couple of toggle switches.

• March 19, 2017 at 11:53 am

I know. I actually showed it in this video

• ssokolow

March 19, 2017 at 10:56 pm

*facepalm*

When I wrote that, I was so tired that I forgot an un-modded top-loader has an RF-out, not a multi-out.

(ie. I was so tired I thought “but not all the systems can be RGB” to mean “this multi-out only does composite” rather than “I had this RGB modded. See?”

• March 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I also offer palettes that improve the NTSC experience for the NESRGB board:

• ssokolow

March 19, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Nice… but it’s hard for me to find time to play NES outside emulation these days.

Do you happen to have fceux palettes for those or should I just screenshot and eyedropper-tool them to put together my own?

(I have a bunch of USB controller adapters attached to my desktop PC for Pomodoro breaks and an OpenPandora (pocket laptop with gaming controls) for when I’m on the go.)

• March 20, 2017 at 9:00 pm

SSokolow, yeah, the web page offers .pal files for emulator and Nt mini users, and NESRGB firmware packages for people that use those. Full instructions on flashing the NESRGB board are provided.

• DrWho198

March 21, 2017 at 6:42 pm

There is no need for composite on a PS2. Both PS1 and PS2 support RGB output. You only need to buy the correct cable. That way you can attach it to you switchbox and improve the quality of the signal. Sometimes I wonder why they never pushed the use of scart in the USA. It is so versatile and has been a standard in eutope for a long time. Most people don’t realize how many different in and output signals go over that 1 connector.

• DrWho198

March 21, 2017 at 6:44 pm

PS: in case someone wants RGB output from the PS2. Make sure you buy a RGB scart cable for it, not the composite scart cable. They might look the same but they do not have the same connections.

• moohooboo

March 23, 2017 at 11:03 am

The Playstation 2 also supports Component (YPbPr) video output, and, if you use that, a number of games support 480p, whereas RGB Scart will only get you 480i. You need to hold X and Triangle at the start of the game to enable this. There’s a list of games on Wikipedia that support 480p.

(In case anybody is wondering: yes 480p is better than 480i, since 480i only gives you 240 lines per frame at 60 Hz vs 480 lines at 480p, so it’s only pushing half as many pixels. Modern digital TVs will deinterlace the video, which creates some artifacts and also delays the video by one frame. It’s not that bad though, especially if the game is only running at 30 fps anyway.)