King Kong 76, King Kong Lives – Kongathon (Day 3)

James / March 5th, 2017

Today’s topic is the pair of Kong films from the Dino De Laurentiis company, both directed by John Guillerman. King Kong (1976) and King Kong Lives (1986). Also I talk about the Universal Studios Theme Park rides (Kongfrontation) and the legal disputes including the famous Universal Vs Nintendo, over Donkey Kong.

Comments

• y2j420

March 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

Hotness! I love the 1976 film!

• March 5, 2017 at 8:36 pm

­Thank you James for the open m­i­nded more adult-v­i­s­i­oned rev­i­ew of th­i­s so underrated duology. ­i­ st­i­ll dont agree KK L­i­ves ­i­s a bad mov­i­e and you forgot to ment­i­on the score of both mov­i­es wh­i­ch ­i­s awesome. ­i­ prefer these 2 mov­i­es over the or­i­g­i­nal anyt­i­me because ­i­ watched them f­i­rst and ­i­ was so overwhelmed by them ­i­t was sacr­i­leg­i­ous to me there was another one s­i­nce the 76 vers­i­on was the or­i­g­i­nal from my po­i­nt of v­i­ew.

• y2j420

March 10, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I’m not James, so why direct your reply to my comment to him?

• frostare

March 5, 2017 at 10:44 am

When you set out to find oil but you find King Kong instead… Hate it when that happens.

• Satnav

March 5, 2017 at 11:41 am

My main take from the 76 remake was that Jeff Bridge’s character was annoying. Also, to be honest, I wasn’t impressed by the ape suit in this one–I don’t really care if it’s ‘practical’, it looks like just a guy in an ape suit. I prefer the 1933 effects, if only because it actually looks like a gorilla, with stubby legs and all, and Peter Jackson’s motion capture, as that also looks like a real silverback. Also, the various composite effects in the 76 one, like at the end, haven’t aged well and are distracting. So honestly I consider that film mostly a waste of time.

• March 5, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Thats a cheap argument because then I can say too that the 33 version looks like a puppet or that the Jackson version looks like CGI… no matter what you say the 76 Kong looks far more realistic and impressive than any other Kongs out there.

• General146

March 5, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Greetings from Russia, James. Could you answer the question? My parents watched the remake of King Kong, and my mom says that after the credits there was a scene in which Mrs. Kong is sitting under a tree, and next plays small kong. And there was an inscription like “Son of King Kong,” tell the truth, the company had the idea to create the third part, my parents or something mixed up?
    PS Sorry for the mistakes in the text.

• March 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm

I have watched the movie many times and that inscription you mention is nowhere to be seen.

• General146

March 6, 2017 at 11:35 am

Perhaps that was the scene for a theatrical release?

• March 6, 2017 at 10:43 pm

If thats the case I cant assure it.

• Pablo1989

March 5, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Seems Nintendo learned mistake with DK and they made Real King Kong game. YES THAT ONE! you played with Mike durning J&M Mondays.

• March 5, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I remember King Kong Lives, I saw it when I was pretty young, around 5 or 6. For a long time all I could ever remember was there was a King Kong movie where they replaced his heart. I remember the heart because it looked pretty cool to me as a child.

• March 5, 2017 at 8:37 pm

That scene is so awesome I used to reenact it with my toys over and over again as well as the fall from the WTC.

• March 6, 2017 at 4:48 pm

You didn’t Mention Rick Baker doing the make-up for the 2001 Tim Burton Planet of the apes. I hope later in the year you do a Planet of the apes Marathon.

• March 6, 2017 at 5:44 pm

The Famicom King Kong 2 game is actually supposed to be an adaptation of King Kong Lives as King Kong 2 was the title the film used in Japan.

• yonoid818

March 6, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I remember the Kongfrontation ride in Orlando smelling heavily of propane. Anyone else remember it smelling like that? The E.T. ride had a very distinct smell too.

• y2j420

March 7, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I just remember the ride being awesome…just not as good as the Back to the Future Ride…