Dragon’s Lair (NES) Full Playthrough

Mike Matei / January 31st, 2017

Full playthrough of Dragon’s Lair for NES by Mike Matei.
Twitter Mike ► https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei

I had to practice Dragon’s Lair for several days before I was able to make it through all the levels. This is my best run of the game so far. I beat the game twice before this. I still feel pretty unpracticed on the last stage as I played that the least. There is a hilarious part in this playthrough on the mine (level 3) where I ran out of candle but made it over the floating bridge anyway. Total luck. I should have been dead.
BTW I am totally joking about the Dragon’s name here. I know his name is Singe. I still like to call him Smaug anyway.
Also, before I fought Singe here, I said I didn’t want to fight him with the axe. That was a flub, I meant to say I didn’t want to fight him with the daggers.
Another thing I’d like to mention is that there is an “F” icon that stands for fire. I have never gotten this weapon before and I’m curious how much easier the game might be if I was able to get it. Perhaps someday if I try this game again, I would try getting that.

Thumbnail Art by http://www.maximumpanic.com

Comments

• Jynito Syventi

January 31, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Great playthrough. See you next time!

• frostare

January 31, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Wow… you really did it, well done man! I like the final boss’ design, reminds me of those jade dragons in Dragon Quest IV. I guess even if the NES version is virtually impossible it still has great designs.

• psyonikx

January 31, 2017 at 10:07 pm

One of my greatest video game accomplishments ever, was beating Dragon’s Lair for the SegaCD flawlessly. I made 0 mistakes, and died 0 times to complete the game. It took me 11 minutes to beat it from beginning to end.

• February 1, 2017 at 1:25 am

Wow, your Playthroughs are leaving me speechless with admiration!
    That´s entertainment! 🙂

• laser

February 1, 2017 at 5:06 am

Ugh, this game looks painful to play…

• RandomTask

February 1, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Play Quake!

• TheFreakMachine

February 1, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I have only one question: WHY???
    Only Joking! xD

• Chris Day

February 1, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I could never beat the arcade version – its one of the goals on my ‘gamers bucketlist’. After seeing your progress with the new classic Mike, I think I might just spend a few days trying it myself on camera. If you ever get a chance I have a fantastic new classic that it both difficult, fun, and painfully overlooked (yet one of the best new games in the library): it’s called ‘The Adventures of Dino Riki’. It’s awesome.

• Chris Day

February 1, 2017 at 5:43 pm

*NES (autocorrect fudged it to “new”)

• February 2, 2017 at 12:54 am

I beat this game on an emulator a while back and remember it being one of the hardest games to play…even with infinite save states. I’m very impressed you beat the game legit.

• mike keith

February 5, 2017 at 10:04 pm

You have to remember Elves have been in folklore for centuries, long before The Hobbit was written. I doubt they based Link off of actual Elves, since elves(unless we are talking about the ones in Santa’s Workshop lol) were normally described as talk and thin. Link and his kin are normally just described as a boy. I realise that he has pointed ears, but nowhere in any of the games is the word elf used. If anything U would actually say that Link was based on the Santa elf, he is short in stature, and is always wearing green. IDK, do Japanese celebrate Xmas?? lol

• mike keith

February 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Flash Gordon also ends with The End and a question mark, along with mings laughter. A greatly underrated gem of a movie.

• February 6, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Little Nemo: The Dream Master for NES would be a challenging game to playthrough, if you´re interested. It´s one of the games I failed to complete at a young age.
    How about it? 🙂

• Max-Olivier Michel

February 11, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Mike! I admire you. I must admit that your strong side is that you are very very patient with everything you do: Your animation, drawing, video games that are nearly impossible for some people. Your work is greatly appreciated and I’m stunt each time! You are meticulous and perfectionist. Keep going Mike! 😉

• Max-Olivier Michel

February 11, 2017 at 1:59 pm

How do you do to talk and play at the same time? You are a multitask boy my boy. How do you do to concentrate?

This game has no gameplay. You don’t have the freedom to play like you want. You have to do exactly what is required to finish the game! I hate those games! How boring.
    But at the same time, you do the dirty work for us (fans), and I’m happy with that. lol

• Don Skiver

February 14, 2017 at 9:25 am

Does anybody else remember the original arcade version and how fucking sexualized princess daphne was?? Cause I sure do!

• February 16, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Mike try play Panic in The Kitchen or Ninja Jajamaru Kun for NES.

• mmaher721

February 16, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Why did you have to throw an axe at the front of the lava men? Why couldn’t you stand behind and throw the axe? Just curious. Great play through!

• Anthony33

February 17, 2017 at 2:18 am

Nice job and great tutorial.