Bart vs. the Space Mutants (NES) Full Playthrough

Mike Matei / January 24th, 2017

Full playthrough of Bart vs the Space Mutants for NES by Mike Matei. See my map I drew for the final level here https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei/status/823887240606679040

Thumbnail by http://www.maximumpanic.com

Released in February 1991, Bart vs the Space Mutants was developed by Imagineering for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The majority of people out there do not like this game. And it’s true, the game does have some issues. In particular, some platforming sections make the game harder than it probably should be. It is a flawed game, but I think it gets more hate than it deserves. The game does have a lot of variety. Each stage has its own unique elements. You can tell that a lot of care and thought went into the game design, it’s just bogged down by a few flaws. Had they spent a little more time field testing this game and working out a few of the kinks it could have been an amazing game.
Anyway, as I say in this video, I beat this game before recording this playthrough. I decided to make a map of the last level because after you collect some of the green rods, you might forget which ones you’ve collected. Then you end up backtracking over the same areas. I think what would have made the Power Plant better would have been if they closed off areas that you don’t need to go back to. (Have a guard appear that doesn’t let you pass or something). Anyway, since the game is the way it is, I drew my own map which I encourage others to use if you are trying for yourself. Just remember when you see Maggie Simpson. Because you need to find her to end the level.
Also, I edited down some sections for time. Like if I ended up backtracking for a while over the same areas by mistake. (Nobody needs see me do the same exact thing twice.) Or if I paused the game to take a break.
One last thing, I ended this video saying that I don’t think this is a bad game, and that is true. I also don’t think it’s a great game either. It’s just ok.

Comments

• January 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Kudos to you, this game is hard to beat.
    I really enjoy your Playthrough-Videos! <3

• January 24, 2017 at 2:49 pm

The museum is the tough part. Thanks for watching!

• January 25, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Mike, in the mall with the lollipops on one of the chocolate bars if you jump 3 or more times it floats you past having to jump those godawful lollipop sticks. I had this game as a kid and never got past the museum. I have to agree the platform was really wonky!! Thanks for the memories!

• Don Skiver

January 25, 2017 at 9:57 pm

If you think this one is bad, just play Virtual Bart on SNES. That game is hard as fuck. It’s really shitty too.

• Jynito Syventi

January 24, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Great. I hope you continue doing playthroughs.

• January 24, 2017 at 2:49 pm

I am hoping to do a new episode of Full Playthroughs once a week. If you have any suggestions for what you’d like to see me play, let me know! Thanks for watching!

• RandomTask

January 24, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I have a suggestion.

Quake. I’m sure you’ve heard of it, the epic H.P. Lovecraftian followup to Doom. It has PC, N64 and Saturn Versions.

I think it would make for a great playthrough. Anyway awesome vid as usual.

• Jynito Syventi

January 24, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Hey, thanks for replaying. The boxes in the level “Museum of Natural History” with the 1 ups etc. You just need to jump a certain number of times for them to pop up.
        I would see any playthroughs you do. 🙂 My suggestions from my own opinion is:
        SNES -Super Metroid.
        NES – Werewolf the last warrior.
        NES – Solar Jetman.

• jay hench

January 25, 2017 at 8:10 pm

How about star voyager for the nes? I could never get anywhere with that game, though I heard it is not so bad if you know what you are doing…could also be a great avgn episode.

• Weldin Dunn

January 24, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Making a map. Classic! It’s like it’s metroid for people without nintendo power.

• 9-VOLT

January 24, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Mike, what about trying to beat Super Mario Bros. 2 Lost Levels on NES? That is my suggestion for the next playthrough. Thanks!

• January 24, 2017 at 6:41 pm

The Retronauts Podcast JUST covered this game!!! Coincidence?! Both would act as a great companion piece to each other. Listen AND watch!

• glassjester

January 24, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hello MF’er Mike! That similarity to Pitfall is no coincidence. I noticed David Crane’s name in the opening credits of the game. He programmed Pitfall! I saw the Kitchen Brothers’ names, too. One of them did Keystone Kapers. Love that one!

• MisterE

January 24, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Mike, did you not know that you can run by holding the A button? You just keep it held after landing from a jump and bart runs as long as you hold it. Not a game you’d want to go running around in too much, but I saw a couple of times where you were trying to chase down and alien and it would’ve helped for you to use the run. Yet another case where taking a glance at the manual would come in handy…. Boggles my mind how you guys are so opposed to looking at manuals but still sometimes complain about not being able to do something in a game (not here, but still, i’ve seen cases on you+jame’s vids where complaints would’ve been addressed by looking at a manual). For one thing, when I was a kid and I would rent a game, I would study the manual on the way home in the car or when I got home, to learn how to play the game, and get the story. Back in those days most of the story was usually in the manuals. And these old games are not like new games, they don’t have tutorials showing you how to play them. Reading the manuals for these things are essential and I know you guys have seen this a million times but I just don’t get how you guys don’t care about the manuals for these old games. To me it seems bizarre. Especially when you’ve made a career(s) playing these things. The manuals were part of the experience, they had story background and many times told you how to do special moves that you would never figure out on your own. I’ve seen you guys get frustrated at games for being too hard while not using these types of moves which would’ve helped, probably countless times. Really just blows my mind.

• MisterE

January 24, 2017 at 7:47 pm

I know the tone of my last comment came off maybe a bit sh*tty but I’ve been wanting to post about manuals for years, especially the james+mike vids the issue really comes up a lot. Anyway I should say though, congrats on beating Bart vs Space mutants. It is a really tough game for sure and takes a lot of practice to master those controls. I got this game when it came out and did beat it a few times, along with vs world. i didn’t have meets radioactive man but think i rented it, and it seemed pretty inferior to the other two. you should consider doing a vid of that one, seems really overlooked out of the NES simpsons games.

• DMM_poo

January 24, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I beat this game when I was a kid. I was so excited for this game to come out. It was the number one present on my wish list for Christmas in 1991, when I was 12. I loved this game, and I played it non-stop until I beat it that Winter.

• Anthony33

January 25, 2017 at 1:04 am

DUDE. I’m loving these full playthroughs. You should add the one you did for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to this section.

• Bryce Neuner

January 25, 2017 at 12:18 pm

My best friend owned this and Bart vs. the World when we were kids. I remember losing our minds over the platforming jumps in the mall stage. I don’t recall ever getting past it. I’d like to give this game another go!

• yoyodave

January 25, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Would love it if you did a full playthrough of “The Adventures of Batman and Robin” on GENESIS! Tough game, but awesome graphics and music. Could even be a great co-op game video!

• January 25, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Lol, Mike, I think those are Pterodactyls.

• January 30, 2017 at 3:06 am

Jump high and land staight down to break glass.