Holy Diver (Famicom) Full Playthrough

Mike Matei / January 10th, 2017

Full Playthroughs: Holy Diver

Full playthrough of Holy Diver for Famicom with Mike Matei. This is an extremely difficult game made by IREM, developers of R-Type.
The thing that really makes this game difficult is the wonky jumping mechanics. It’s hard to explain, but basically the character doesn’t want to move and jump at the same time.
I do have to say there are a few things that make this game somewhat forgiving. Most importantly is that like Ghosts N’ Goblins there are infinite continues. So if you defeat a stage, you can play that stage over as many times as you need to. Also most of the bosses in the game are fairly easy. It is the levels themselves that are brutally difficult. And dealing with the poor jumping controls.
If you are trying to beat this game yourself, my only recommendation is just a lot of practice. I played this game a lot before I recorded this video. That way I had a fairly good idea of where to use the items, and how to handle the different enemies. I was still learning here, for example I figured out that you have to shoot the gray bats from the underside during this playthrough.
Note: This playthrough was edited down for time. Filmed January 8th, 2017

Comments

• gone with the vint

January 10, 2017 at 7:49 am

Although I always thought this game is some kind of ripping off ‘Simons Quest’, I really liked it as a kid. Best from Germany and keep up the good work guys!

• January 12, 2017 at 3:25 am

That was intense. Unbelievable! There were some seriously close calls when you were busting a move. Great video. Watched it in two sittings.

• RichterBelmont

January 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Enjoyed this playthrough! Had some good intensity at momemts.

Just a suggestion: It would be great when you guys refer to another video to go ahead and link to it in the descriptions here on your site and on the YouTube description.

That would not only encourage more viewing, but also make it easier vs. someone remembering later to go check it out. (People are lazy and links like that really help).

• January 12, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Mike, you make this game look easy. Good job, hey I betcha ‘BS’ stands for Black Slayer.

• January 15, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, it’s most likely to be Black Slayer, but I thought it could possibly be Black Sabbath with all the heavy metal references. Thanks for watching -Mike

• Don Skiver

January 12, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Ride the tiger!
    You can see his stripes but you know he’s clean.
    Oh don’t you see what I mean?

• Paulballsftw

January 14, 2017 at 9:08 pm

This kind of reminds me of Karnov.

• January 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I’m not sure if I see that similarity. But it definitely draws inspiration from Castlevania and Mega Man. Thanks for watching! -Mike

• Claudio Paola

January 16, 2017 at 1:57 am

Fucking amazing, Mike! You’re my hero! I love your play throughs!

• Claudio Paola

January 16, 2017 at 2:01 am

Can I suggest/request a play through of Adventure Island on the NES? I played the game as a child and loved it! Still do! I tried a play through, had no idea how far into the game I got but I was three-plus hours in and it’s tough! Had to call it quits cause I had no idea it would take so long.

• January 18, 2017 at 4:51 am

where is Ronnie James Dio…… fuck over an hour watched for no Ronnie scream fml lol jk keep up the amazing work guys.