Super Double Dragon (SNES) Mike & Ryan

Mike Matei / January 7th, 2017

Revisiting Super Double Dragon for SNES (you know the game we all used to think was Double Dragon 4) Mike & Ryan – Episode 9

Comments

• Moose Of Woe

January 7, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Guy in the suit @3:30 always reminded me of Biff from Back to the Future. “Hey, Bimmy and Jimmy! Why don’t you make like a tree, and GET OUTTA HERE!”

• January 7, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Did I miss an inside joke? Two losers on a couch making fun of a millionaire actor, what was the punchline?

• Jarnor23

January 12, 2017 at 2:52 am

Yeah, running gag from last episode when Chris O’Donnell was discussed.

• quickie_ss

January 7, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Don’t be jelly. More people watch these dude’s videos than people you meet in a year.

I really like the Mike and Ryan segments. Good job guys, keep on keeping on.

• KingMike

January 8, 2017 at 1:43 am

I haven’t verified but I read between the Super Famicom and SNES version, that one was basically a prototype version rushed to market. I thought it was the US version but I’m not sure.
    Would be bad if the SFC version was WORSE than this.

(I know that is what happened with DD3. The FC version was a little more bugfixed.)

• Tross

January 8, 2017 at 1:44 am

Lots of game sequels screw up the numbering of their series. Resident Evil has Code Veronica X, which should have been called 4, but wasn’t. Final Fantasy probably shouldn’t have gave numbers to their MMOs, yet they can get away with doing games like World of Final Fantasy and those don’t get numbered. Game sequels are great more often than not, but organized chronology is completely optional.

• cornbred9

January 8, 2017 at 11:13 am

Damn, Mike is hot as hell in this vid…

• The Formless One

January 8, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Guys, let’s be fair here. Super Double Dragon has a lot of features. You didn’t use all the blocks and it is not really comparable to Double Dragon or DD II on the NES.

To answer your questions: Yes, there are worse beat’em up’s on the SNES. If you’re counting 1 vs. 1 beat’em up’s like Street Fighter II, there’s way more than you might think off. The Neo Geo adaptions often suck, also there’s games like Ranma 1/2 or Godzilla, that have bad controls etc.

You cannot say, that Super Double Dragon has bad controls at all. It may come off a bit slow and yes, the endboss ideas aren’t very original, but we had other games like that even in the arcades. On SNES something like Brawl Brothers or Peace Keepers.

And to answer Mike’s question: “How can you make a Double Dragon without Abobo?” Double Dragon 3 anyone?

In the Arcade Version of Double Dragon II, you didn’t have classic Abobo either. So, if it’s for that. Of course there’s sidescrool beat’em up’s who are superior, but I think, you’re not giving the game enough credit. Or let’s say it this way:

“If Super Double Dragon was the worst Beat ’em Up on Super Nintendo, well then the SNES has got a pretty good library of beat ’em ups for it’s system.”

• restfulcargo

January 15, 2017 at 5:35 pm

To me the game is an acquired taste due to how slow it runs, but once I learned how to perform the moves and the block mechanic I was hooked! Although totally beatable 1 player the game was designed to be played with a friend. It’s not a bad game as Mike and Ryan thought.

• January 9, 2017 at 12:32 pm

My favorite beat`em games are Street of Rage 2 and TMNT
    Hyperstone geist -Genesis; Vendetta,Cadillacs and Dinosaurs-Arcade.

• fanboyfilms

January 11, 2017 at 3:44 pm

People consider it Double Dragon IV because it was followed by Double Dragon V on SNES. Why would they call the next game 5 if this wasn’t 4? Why would they go back and make a retroactive IV?

• restfulcargo

January 15, 2017 at 5:41 pm

My guess is to get more attention. Get people talking about their new game.

• Jarnor23

January 12, 2017 at 2:55 am

The whole time I was watching this game being played all I could think of is how much better the Streets of Rage series was. Those were worth owning a Genesis for.

• restfulcargo

January 15, 2017 at 5:48 pm

It’s not as bad as Mike and Ryan make it out to be. They don’t know how to play it that’s all. It doesn’t have the appeal of SOR (that’s for sure) but it can be quite addicting once you learn the blocking mechanic (which is easy to learn).

• February 18, 2017 at 7:28 am

This game is so much better than all the other ones in this genre! You can do more than two moves and you can and HAVE to block in this game, adds so much more strategy and is less of a mindless button masher. Then again, Mike & Ryan are playing the pussy mode A here, which means they can just gang up on enemies and mash them without the risk of killing the other player. This game is a gem. Like 2d God Hand with co-op, what can go wrong?