The Making of Astro Bastards

James / December 28th, 2016

Go behind-the-scenes of the Astro Bastards trailer. I talk about the long history of the project, and how making fun sci-fi films is something that takes me back to my roots. It’s the most “Cinemassacre” of all my videos this year.
See the trailer here

Comments

• Allen Lucas

December 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm

You know I was just watching some of the Star Wars trilogy the other day (in memory of Carrie Fisher BTW) and decided to check out some old documentaries with it. The stuff you did with the models and sound effects does remind me of those older movies were done without computers back in the day. You should teach future filmmakers how you can make the crudest effects and still make them come out high quality. Hell if Lucasfilm ever contact you about directing any of their movies, you can put that expertise to very good use.

• December 29, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I have always loved when people make movies without big budgets, it always ends up being good.

• Robin Wise

December 28, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Now I want to get a theremin and play around with it.

• Jackson Monks

December 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm

If you like horror movies, you should this Instagram its @horrorgang best horror page their!!

• DMM_poo

December 28, 2016 at 6:35 pm

It will be awesome if you make enough trailers to release a trailer compilation on DVD like the Something Weird trailer collection or Wizard Video’s Sex & Violence. You could even film host segments like the latter has.

• Luke Campen

December 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

MAKE ASTRO BASTARDS VS THE FLYING FUCKERNAUGHTS A REALITY!!
    I have started a petition in order to convince James and the rest of the gang to lengthen this farcical short trailer into a longer movie (perhaps merely an internet short, but still.). The link to the petition is below.
    Sign his petition if you’re ready to see this film come to fruition in some form. And, if enough people sign, I’ll get in touch with the powers that be, and create a kickstarter to donate the money to the appropriate people who could get this project done.
    I would like this film to become a reality, so much so that if this petition reaches 100 people, I will donate $1000 of my own dollars to help the movie get made. Even if it is only a cheap internet short, I think it would be hilarious to see, as it would incorporate the vast background knowledge of bad old sci-fi and horror movies that the AVGN and Nostalgia Critic are known to possess.
    It would work on several levels, as pastiche, as slap-stick, as commentary on “bad” old movies, as well as critique on the overblown sci-fi blockbusters we’ve all come to expect from today’s market. And, bottom line, with them at the helm, it would be hilarious.
    The link to sign the petition is below.
    Come on… you know you want it.
    – Luke

• Chris Day

December 29, 2016 at 4:37 am

Jesus Lord…*facepalm* Petitons NEVER work – especially as a means of strongholding a artist into doing what YOU want. You think james gives a shit about petitions or wether a sort will or will not be popular? If he WANTED to do a 15 minute film he would – apparently he doesn’t though. It took him over hundred hours of planning just to make this reality. He has so many more projects to do, and far far less hours in a year to do them all. The pay-off wouldn’t be worth it to him. I’m sure he’d love to be able to make it happen…but priorities. Take it from another artist and content creator: ‘Just ask’ ([email protected]). Don’t strongarm a artist with petitions demanding what YOU want over their own wishes. He knows people would problem get a kick off a real Astro Bastards film – but it all goes back to ‘time and priorities’. Conent creators love when our fans appreciate our work, and express passion & excitement over something we put alot of time and work into. But demanding more from us isnt proactive – and honestly, comes off rude and unappreciative of how much effort really goes into our craft. So again: ‘Just ask’. 🙂

• Chris Day

December 29, 2016 at 4:51 am

Not that I don’t appreciate your excitement, or share your wish that Astro Bastards could fill more than a few fleeting moments of my day – your willingness to help fund it is also worthy. 😀 Though perhaps bringing up funds so early cheapens things a bit for the artist (least it does for me – money rarely inspires creativity).

• December 29, 2016 at 10:15 am

I appreciate the excitement too. I’m honored that you like it so much. But everything Chris Day said is true. You can still do the petition, as a way of showing me how many people love the idea. But please do NOT get money involved, for a hypothetical film. It took me years just to make the trailer, and I have no plans of making a full film (or 15 minute short). BUT you will see many other projects coming from me in the future.

• December 29, 2016 at 8:31 am

James, I’ve been watching your videos for years and will continue to do so. The energy and passion in your eyes when you talk about the things you love have had an immense magnetism not only for people around the world but also attracting an amazing group of friends with the same interests and passion. You have been receiving unnecesary criticism from a lot of people that don’t seem to appreciate your obvious passion for your work and the valour to take new steps in the direction you feel necessary, even as far as having to make sacrifices to continue experimenting. Those who love your work will be always by your side. I wish you an excellent new year for your and family, friends and yourself. Thank you.

• December 29, 2016 at 10:08 am

Thanks very much. That’s very nice of you, and everyone.

• bud

December 29, 2016 at 8:32 am

Ooh, another secret project.

• net_rogue

December 29, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I love it. Thank you, James (and crew), for putting so much time and effort in. Your passions never ceases to entertain. Looking forward to your new projects!

• Pablo1989

December 29, 2016 at 5:18 pm

😀 Just cant wait for third your project.
    After Astro Bastards got dream about….

“Gorky Malboa:Boxing champ from outer space!”

😀 idea about boxing and space come from Power Punch II video game as you previewed in Mike & James mondays.

• December 29, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Love your story boards!

• Simporia

December 30, 2016 at 1:08 am

This may sound odd, but I think I actually liked the ‘behind-the-scenes’ video more than the trailer itself. I’m not really that interested in film, but for a made up trailer that was 3-4mins long, it’s crazy to think about the amount of work that goes into it. All the creativity, different techniques, the story behind the project; I think seeing all the work that had to be done and James’ enjoyment in making the trailer is the reason why I may have had more positive feelings. Either way, thanks for both videos and I hope you can keep doing what you love!

• AbareKiller

December 31, 2016 at 12:47 am

Speaking of recognizing items, at 0:29 of this video, the spaceship launcher is a CD holder with some parts removed. Very nice!

• optimusx

December 31, 2016 at 4:10 am

This companion vid is part of your overall magic, James. If I’m not “learn-ed” enough to understand the thoughts and efforts behind a production, a vid like this brings it all together and helps me appreciate the magic. I love your work and really appreciate all the thoughts you share behind your productions. Keep it going, and I’ll keep coming back!

• Jarnor23

December 31, 2016 at 9:01 am

Waiiiit a moment here. Did I hear that the attempt at a new full length film might be in the future??!!

• Jarnor23

December 31, 2016 at 9:12 am

Go for it, man! Live the dream, we know you have it in you!

Even if you haven’t yet satisfied my wife’s request for vengeance upon that piece of shit game “Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements”. That one was the worst rental of her life, according to her.

Perhaps just wrap it into a shitty RPG episode? There are so many.

Do it, we could name our kid due in less than a month after you. 🙂

• Keith S

January 7, 2017 at 4:22 am

Love the ‘Low tech’ness of it all!
    I think a lot of youngsters will find this kind of thing very inspiring, I certainly would have in my teens!