Ps4 vs Ps4 Pro – Can you tell the difference?

Mike Matei / December 9th, 2016

Something a little different today, for those of you who saw our “PS4 Pro – Does It Suck” episode, we decided to go one step further and do a “taste test” to determine if the general public thinks the upgrade to Pro is worth the purchase.

Comments

• December 9, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Fantastic video!

• Xen11

December 9, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Isn’t there another P$4 coming out next year as well? Or is that just the XboxOne doing that with Project Scorpio?

• December 9, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Maybe the pro will allow for bigger games in the future? I mean, it is a more powerful machine than the regular ps4. I think in a year or two, it might be the standard ps4.

• Allen Lucas

December 9, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I would’ve loved to be a part of that test. Maybe do the same thing with the XBox One S and compare it to the original XBox One!

• smd

December 11, 2016 at 11:52 am

There’s very little difference in the hardware power of the XB1s, except for the UHD Blu Ray drive, so it wouldn’t make much sense to do that kind of test.

• December 9, 2016 at 11:45 pm

It’s not worth the money, to see the real difference you’ll need a 4K OLED HDR TV, and that’s $3000.

• Butters Stotch

December 9, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Way to set up and have an objective test, great job!

• December 13, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I own the pro, but I only have a standard 1080p tv. I must say that psVR shows some significant difference in some games, Robinson: The journey is one of those examples, playing on the ps4 pro actually adds over double the vegetation compared to the ps4.

It all depends on what you’re playing, for me it was worth swapping it out.

• smd

December 10, 2016 at 1:17 am

Using Uncharted is not a good test IMO. Its pro support is just alright. Now if you used Rise of the Tomb Raider @60fps, they would DEFINITELY have been able to tell the difference. It’s like any console “launch”. As time goes on they’ll be able to use the hardware better and the benefit will be apparent. Games will be made from the ground up to take advantage of it, and people will wish they had the Pro.
    Also, what TV was that? Was it a model that can do HDR properly? I don’t mean does it have HDR, but does it do it well? I can tell it’s a Vizio, but it doesn’t look like the P series, which is the only one I’d say does HDR properly. Otherwise, it’s only a bump in resolution, which may not be as apparent.
    The PS4 Pro is not a huge leap, but it’s definitely not as useless as you try to make it out to be.

• Tross

December 10, 2016 at 2:08 am

I still maintain that the PS4 is a fantastic console that everyone should own, but I have a PS4 and am not interested enough to fork over the money for a Pro. I would if my PS4 broke, but that’s really the only reason.

• bud

December 10, 2016 at 8:18 am

Those are some cute gamer girls. I wish I had a cute gamer girl.

I got my PS Slim last week. It’s fucking tiny compared to those two behemoths you’ve got in the video.

• December 10, 2016 at 12:52 pm

I hope the sales aren’t good. This trend of mid gen upgrades needs to be put to sleep immediately.

• Paulballsftw

December 12, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Hell it’s like a $200 differenes. I was so debating which one to buy but I made the right decision when I got the PS4 slim with Uncharted 4 for $212 on Cyber Monday. That’s like $150 for the PS4 slim and it matches my PS3 slim. Not only does it still look great on my tv but I can know I didn’t spend all that extra money.

• December 13, 2016 at 2:06 am

It makes no sense to test the console on a game released before the Pro was even announced. It’s the games that will be coming out in about a year from now and beyond that will actually be designed for the hardware. It’s also kind of strange to assume that the Pro is supposed to be an upgrade for PS4 owners when really it’s a better product for those who havn’t bought a PS4 yet.
    I just don’t share the hate for the PS4 Pro, bottom line the GPU is equivalent to an RX480 which on it’s own costs about the same as the entire console, seems like a good deal to me.

• Paulballsftw

December 14, 2016 at 7:00 pm

An upgrade for 4k? Nah it’s still going to play the same games and look about the same maybe better detail but not better graphics. It’s not like going from PS3 to PS4 so I will wait for PS5 to get with a 4K TV. If I want better graphics I would of bought a gaming PC that can make it even look better than the Pro.