Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) Mike & Ryan

Mike Matei / December 2nd, 2016

Mike and Ryan play Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES! Check out Full Sail’s Courses at http://fullsail.edu/Cinemassacre (Video Sponsored by Full Sail)

Comments

• LuRkeR1978

December 2, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Cinemassacre…the gift that keeps on giving. You guys are the best. All of you!

• December 2, 2016 at 9:22 pm

fuck yeah smb2

• Johnnie

December 2, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Many fond childhood memories correlated to this game.

• December 2, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Doki Doki Panic was actually mentioned in Nintendo Power’s NES Game Atlas, so my friends and I did talk about it in elementary school in the late ’80s.

• Johnnie

December 2, 2016 at 10:00 pm

This is a great rundown of the backstory of this game’s development:

• T S

December 2, 2016 at 11:48 pm

“Mike & Ryan Do The Nineties: Hip Hop Essentials”

Make it happen. Du et.

• bud

December 3, 2016 at 7:48 am

That cover brings back so many feelings.

• bud

December 3, 2016 at 10:21 am

The idea that Miyamoto was inspired to name some characters while being hungry for some McDonald’s is freaking hilarious.

• December 5, 2016 at 7:28 am

Ryan looks like he’s out of this world high 😀

• paulwilson1982

December 5, 2016 at 11:59 pm

I think the reason a lot of people didn’t like Mario 2, or at least thought it was inferior, was because of the style and the new enemies. It didn’t feel like the mushroom kingdom, instead of goombas you have weird little cloaked creatures with white masks, you have flying fish but they’re ugly with bugged out eyes, you got bird-like creatures without beaks spitting eggs at you, you’re throwing turnips, walking into a hawk’s mouth, and instead of an awesome reptilian final boss (Bowser) you get Toad. Personally, I enjoyed Mario 2 as a kid and these differences actually appealed to me. I wouldn’t have wanted future Mario games to follow suit with 2, but as a game of its own its not bad at all. I think a lot of people could go back and give this game a try, play it from start to finish, and thoroughly enjoy it. I still prefer other Mario games over 2, and I think most people would agree. But Mario 2 is a good game. And the same goes for Zelda 2. Not the best, but not bad. Just a different experience.

• Tross

December 6, 2016 at 3:02 am

I actually really liked the real Super Mario Bros. 2 when I played it as part of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. I liked the extra challenge it added. However, I’ll concede that it’s not really a new game so much as an expansion of the original so yeah, this is a far more original game.

• Andreas

December 6, 2016 at 10:09 am

Mike, I hope you read this. There was a game called “Terranigma” on the SNES which was never released in the US but in Asia, Europe and Australia. I hope you will play it, or even better make a video on it. It’s considered as one or even the best SNES game ever. Fantastic Action-RPG with beautiful graphics (late SNES) and wonderful music.

• December 12, 2016 at 4:59 am

At 8′ 41″ that’s interesting because I thought i remembered from Super Mario All-Stars that would kill you, but I could definitely be misremembering. Also, I agree this game doesn’t get the love it deserves – kind of like Yoshi’s Island (that’s a solid game!).