Midnight Ghost Shows Monster Madness X #29

Mike Matei / October 29th, 2016

This is one of my favorite Monster Madness installments this year, focusing on a somewhat forgotten era of LIVE horror fun that encompasses everything that is Halloween.

Midnight Ghost Shows Monster Madness X #29

Comments

• Ras

October 29, 2016 at 3:36 am

James, rent out a theater and bring this back! I won’t be able to get there, but it’d be fun for the locals.

• TagaZok

October 29, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Great piece of history of theater and horror movies … Yeah mate totally agreed someone should bring back that and James and Mike are the ones who should do it !

• October 29, 2016 at 3:39 am

That’s so cool. You will probably talk about the movie Popcorn (1991) at some point.

• October 29, 2016 at 3:45 am

Don’t be alarmed by the creature at the end everyone. I know it might look like a demon screaming but trust me, it’s just Mikes cock.
    Happy Hallerween from the Madea family!

• Ras

October 29, 2016 at 3:45 am

By the way, John Zacherle just dies on Oct. 27.

• Weldin Dunn

October 29, 2016 at 10:55 am

Yeah. 98 years old though!

• TagaZok

October 29, 2016 at 7:23 pm

RIP The pionneer of horror host show…..

• October 29, 2016 at 4:12 am

Again…another stinker….dude wtf happened to Monster Madness? You used to just do movies or tv series, this here? there’s nothing to it, more like a documentary of what they did in theaters from the 30’s to the 60’s or something.

How about The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue??? An under rated zombie movie from the 70’s

• October 29, 2016 at 4:48 am

Part o me agrees with you since it’s the last MM, but then again.. It’s never really been said to be limited to specific movies. It’s just horror themed recommendations.

• bud

October 29, 2016 at 5:13 am

A lot of his choices this year are homages to the golden age of horror. I think that’s a fine way to wrap it all up, since MM is in itself an homage to the classics.

• October 30, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Yeah but he’s always done movies or tv series, a documentary? he could have done this on it’s own on the side ya know? Other than a few and the golden, bronze and silver age stuff, I think this was the weakest monster Madness. he over looked The Bride, The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue and I can name you another 28 horror movies and tv series to cover the entire month and none will be from the 2000’s or most the 90’s.

• October 29, 2016 at 8:32 am

I think James did a great work on this, but I agree it doesn’t quite belong in Monster Madness.

• DMM_poo

October 29, 2016 at 10:28 am

Actually, this is what I love about MM. I love when I learn something, and I especially love anything from the early days of horror.

• bud

October 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm

He’s preserving the memory of a bygone era and memorializing a cultural phenomena that would otherwise be forgotten in history. That’s what MM is all about.

• Ras

October 29, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Monster Madness Three. Monsters Crash Party. He’s covered this before and nobody complained then. He just goes into more detail on the phenomenon as a whole. And without James, this stuff is forgotten and lost.

• DMM_poo

October 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Forgot about that one. Thanks!

• November 11, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Hi. He never claims to be all knowing about the subject, he draws from his particular view, with a broad scope of knowledge, but he will always overlook some movies. You are after all still just one man with limited time on this plane. I do agree with this being a weaker season when you consider the movies he reviewed. James admitted this himself when he told it’s harder to find relevant movies to review. I personally still enjoyed this season immmensely, the way alone James narrates makes it priceless for me.

• jasonjrf

October 29, 2016 at 7:48 am

This is really interesting. I have never heard of “Ghost Shows” never new they existed. Really interesting.

• IHaveNoLifeAtAll

October 29, 2016 at 8:15 am

I couldn’t care less (almost) about movie monsters and all that horror stuff (I find reality more than horrible enough to want a bunch of invented horror), yet anything James/Mike produce is interesting to watch. Both Mike but especially James appears to have an almost supernatural ability to focus and remember details and get things done like it’s nothing. It almost feels insulting since I get nothing done myself.

• y2j420

October 29, 2016 at 9:36 am

And Unions ruin another thing…”thanks” Unions…

James, have you ever watched or read up on Svenghoulie here in Chicago?

• Paulballsftw

October 29, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I was thinking it was like the haunted houses we have today but in that time it was you go to a show and the haunting comes to you. It’s just in a theater instead. I am sure they could do something like that easy but just these modern age people wouldn’t know it’s fake and not even care as well as already seeing crazier things. That Vampira girl was like before Elvira. I see where Elvira got that look from now. I have an idea though they could do a ghost theater app for VR on the phone. You can feel like you are in that theater.

• Paulballsftw

October 29, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I meant the modern age people would know it is fake not wouldn’t sorry.

• October 29, 2016 at 2:32 pm

But now at least we have virtual reality making a huge come back with really interesting horror/haunted houses. This might become the STUFF to get scared in this era.

• deniii

October 29, 2016 at 12:46 pm

So, the early movies were shown in theatres… is that why the place were movies are shown is still called “Theatre”?

In latin derived languages, the equivalent of “Theatre” is a place for live performances. “Cinema” would be where movies are played.
    Maybe it’s not the same in english, but I find the similarities, curious (movies shown where live performances where played, in a place called Theatre)

• October 29, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I would love see this

• fcabanski

October 29, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Theaters turned into graveyards? Sounds like a Democrat voters rally.

• fcabanski

October 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm

LOL out loud at the Feminazi POWs thinking a man protecting his girlfriend/wife is sexist.

• October 30, 2016 at 1:36 am

You’re twisting the thing. Those years WERE sexist.

• October 30, 2016 at 1:36 am

Well.. not that sexism’s gone anywhere though.

• TheFreakMachine

October 29, 2016 at 7:19 pm

FCABANSKI, what are you doing here? If you leave asshole comments people will call you a gremlin!

• Brian Collins

October 30, 2016 at 9:02 am

Aren’t the kids going to a Midnight Spook Show in The Blob? Unfortunately, no theatrics are shown, if there were any, just the movie. Another little slice of 50’s life that makes The Blob such a classic.
    This was really interesting. As you say, we will never be able to experience a midnight Ghost Show, and it’s a shame. Definitely a product of its time.

• bud

October 31, 2016 at 1:31 am

The whole plot of Matinee is about those theatrics.

• penpan

October 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I WISH they did stuff like this nowadays! I guess it wouldn’t fly. Man our grandparents must have had fun at these shows!

• November 21, 2016 at 6:14 pm

This reminds of Grand Guignol, although quite different. If there’s ever another Monster Madness, you should do an episode on GG!