AVGN Seasons explained (updated Oct 2016)

James / October 4th, 2016

Here’s a complete list of Angry Video Game Nerd episodes, so you don’t get “chronologically confused.” They’re organized by Seasons and DVD volumes. I felt compelled to do this after realizing we’ve been calling the DVD re-releases “seasons” instead of “volumes.” They’re not too far off though. Not as confusing as the old TMNT cartoon series DVD’s.

AVGN X Blu-Ray (AVGN Episodes 1-100)

See the AVGN X Blu-Ray Promo

Best of James & Mike Mondays Blu-Ray

See the James & Mike Mondays Blu-Ray Promo

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie Blu-ray

See Angry Video Game Nerd The Movie Blu-Ray Promo

We are working on AVGN Volume X2 and X3 Blu-rays.

Also, we’re working on Board James, the complete series on Blu-ray.

This year we have re-issued all the AVGN Episodes on good old DVD as well. These NEW DVD’s have all new menus, have been remastered and re-encoded and have completely new artwork and covers illustrated by Mike Matei. These DVD’s also COMBINE so that the spine’s form the Angry Video Game Nerd LOGO!

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season One DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Two DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Three DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Four DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Five DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Six DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Seven DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Eight DVD

Angry Video Game Nerd – Season Nine DVD Note: Right now AVGN Season 9 is not available due to a mix up at the amazon warehouse. We are hoping amazon will correct this in the upcoming weeks. We are waiting on their response. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• IHaveNoLifeAtAll

October 4, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I’ve got to say that it feels very strange that somebody who pays such attention to every detail in everything you do would use the apostrophe incorrectly, such as “DVD’s” instead of “DVDs”. Maybe you do it on purpose because you think it looks better or something?

• KennyM

October 6, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Is no one else sad/ upset that we went from 26 to 5 episodes a year?

• Alex Dalund

October 10, 2016 at 8:04 am

No, because he has done much more/better stuff now.

• Warrax

October 18, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Yeah it’s sad but it was too much work for James. Most of his early AVGN episodes are considered classics today and are usually much more loved than his recent AVGN.

• October 4, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Very nice. I have the old dvd sets. Upgraded to the new sets and looking forward to the season 9 dvd set. I hope that Board James season 2/vol 2 is released on dvd in he future. If possible on a future AVGN dvd set include the Nostalgia critic feud and maybe a retrospective/panel footage for that as special features. Looking forward to more stuff.

• y2j420

October 4, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I’m torn as to how I want to continue receiving these volumes…do I want to get season 9 DVD or buy Blu-ray Vol X3? Problem is I have the original run of Seasons 1-8 on DVD, but if the episodes were in HD, I wouldn’t want reduced quality. Decisions decisions!

• October 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Why not both?

• y2j420

October 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Well if I buy the X3 bluray, then that means I need to buy the X and X2 ones…financially that’s quite a bit…I might just go with X2 and X3 to build off of my already completed Seasons 1-8 DVD set…

• bith the black

October 7, 2016 at 5:43 am

I have 1-8 on DVD as well, but I think I’m just going to pick up X3, if only for the fact dvd 10 is listed as dvd10?. I wish the series would continue on DVD as well, or at least have a cutoff point that coincides with the Bluray releases.

• Don Skiver

October 4, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Ah. If you get can get the entire AVGN collection, X, X2, X3 into a box set, I’m totally going to buy it. I’ve been waiting for so long for a comprehensive, yet relatively small box set. I personally don’t want to have dozens of DVDs…I don’t have a lot of space. But I am a fan of physical media, so the bluray discs are a perfect compromise for me. I’m willing to pay a bit more for the higher quality and convenience of having more episodes per disc. Not to mention all the special features and commentaries. 😀

• Don Skiver

October 4, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I’m curious though… if the X1 bluray can encompass 100 episodes, why not compbine X2 and X3 into one bluray seeing that it’s roughly HALF the episodes of X1?

• tamer82

October 5, 2016 at 3:05 am

My guess is because the 100 episodes were not shot in HD. The X collection has all the episodes in SD resolution. I believe that James started shooting in full HD in the newer ones, hence, X2 and 3 will have less episodes but probably in full 1080p quality.

• bud

October 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Nice. Two new AVGN to look forward to by the end of the year.

• October 5, 2016 at 6:15 pm

DVD Vol. 9? Did this come out and I missed it somehow, or is it also in the works?

• JayRam

October 5, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I bought DVD volumes 1 & 2 back in 2009/10. I really need to finish the collection.

If we’re not talking video/audio quality, are the DVDs still worth buying? I heard that the AVGN X blu-ray lacked some special features the DVD counterparts included.

• October 6, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I prefer dvds as more stuff can play’em. the AVGN X set has all the features included with previous sets up to episode 100 (vol 1-5 and some of 6) the new dvds have new menus and take up less disc space (the original had to 2 to 3 discs per set, the new ones are 1 disc except for season/vol6 and 7 which are 2 discs) The include all the original features (Season 1 missing deleted Contra scene and season 2 has a new extra on autographs), and the spines combine to form logo. If shelf space is not an issue (and you don’t mind changng discs)i’d say dvds are well worth it .

• JayRam

October 9, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for the response.

• JayRam

October 9, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Will defintely look into the new DVDs.

• October 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

The grey and white color coating still has me confused.

• GasparXR

October 10, 2016 at 4:29 pm

ooo, an upcoming Halloween and Christmas episode for AVGN! Can’t say I’m too surprised, but it was a nice little nugget to find.

• Xen11

October 10, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Hey James,
    I love your attention to detail. Reminds me of myself. I think we have obsessive compulsions.
    I am working on something that lists things and I was wondering what program you used to make the list/chart above. Is it from a mac or windows?

I’ll show you what I’m working on someday when I’m well into it. I think you’ll really appreciate it.

• Tross

October 13, 2016 at 2:34 am

I own volumes 1-7 but I guess I can’t just buy volume 8(and 9) if I want to complete my AVGN collection. Please let me know if that’s an option because otherwise I have to spend just over $90CAD to get seasons 7-9 and render my volume 7 set completely worthless, or wait an eternity for the X2 and 3 BluRays.

• Grace Richard

October 15, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I just started watching The Angry Video Game Nerd and Board James and I love every one I watch. I remember playing a lot of those video games when I was a kid and remembered how pissed off I use to get. I just want to say I think you’re awesome!

• rug269

October 17, 2016 at 9:22 pm

where does home alone fit in all of this?

• Psychojaws

October 20, 2016 at 6:46 am

Looking forward to volume/season 9! Is there a big difference between the original “volumes” DVDs, or should I consider buying the new “seasons” packaging? I only ask because I already have “volumes” 1-8.