Zelda: Links Awakening Part 1 – James & Mike Mondays

Mike Matei / August 29th, 2016

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Game Boy) PART 1 – James discusses his experience playing through the first seven dungeons of the game for his first time. Part 2 will be James and Mike playing through level 8 together and attempting to beat the game!

Comments

• Don Skiver

August 29, 2016 at 3:12 am

Link’s Awakening along with the two “Oracle” games are among my all time favorite Zelda games. I love these games. They are phenomenal considering the limitations of the system and how much they squeezed in.

• Don Skiver

August 30, 2016 at 12:32 am

Btw James, the eagle boss, when the wind starts blowing you off, use your pegasus boots to run against the wind and you’ll stay up there and not get blown off.

• August 29, 2016 at 3:12 am

Ahhhhhh, the nostalgia… Playing it older, I realized that the ending is actually really sad.

• August 29, 2016 at 3:30 am

Looks like a pretty decent game. I would like to see some game gear games if you guys could. If there are any worth playing that is. I always thought the Gamegear was better than Gameboy because it was in color and the games were like mini sega games sometimes if they were done well.

• ssokolow

August 29, 2016 at 3:44 am

Interesting bit of Trivia: The Game Gear is actually an enhanced (more colors) Master System and, with an adapter, can play Master System games.

• August 29, 2016 at 3:49 am

I made this picture made in ‘Paint’ years ago, I bet a lot of people recognize the feeling shown 😀 http://i.imgur.com/0J1SENV.jpg

• Sobeck

August 30, 2016 at 7:26 am

that moment…As a kid I cried a bit.

• call me squinky

August 30, 2016 at 3:14 pm

That…is awesome. I will also admit to getting a little misty eyed as a kid.

• The Kaleidoscopic God

August 29, 2016 at 5:11 am

This is reminding me of Easy Allies’ (the GameTrailer guys’ new channel) series Brandon Plays Pokémon, what with the newbie relaying his experience to the veteran.

• GorgeousBones

August 29, 2016 at 6:28 am

I got this on Christmas when it came out, I was 9 years old. I was already a big Zelda fan because my brother had the NES. Damn I love this game. It’s my favourite game of all time. I bet I could probably still finish it in one (intense AF) sitting.

• Dylan Spallin

August 29, 2016 at 6:40 am

Always love a Zelda video 🙂 Can’t wait for part 2!

• barlitone

August 29, 2016 at 9:14 am

Just an FYI–that treasure chest room where you get some of the treasure and then leave the room, only to return later to see that all of the treasure is gone? That’s not a glitch. It’s a merciless puzzle. You have to get all the treasure at once.

• walrusboy71

August 29, 2016 at 9:19 am

This game is so much fun. The best dungeon is definitely the secret one that lets you get the red or blue tunic. Also, it’s weird that this game is called zelda, since zelda isn’t in it!

• Sobeck

August 30, 2016 at 7:35 am

I think they are playing the gameboy version…The version with the secret dungeon is the DX version for GBC. But yeah it was an awesome secret dungeon.

• Weldin Dunn

August 29, 2016 at 10:57 am

Awesome! This was a really fun game. I still think this takes place before Legend of Zelda.

• S.Peelman

August 29, 2016 at 1:01 pm

LINK’S AWAKENING! Awesome, glad you guys like it as much as I do, brilliant game. Best GameBoy game ever, best handheld game ever, one of the best games ever period. Everybody should play it some time. It’s quite overlooked sadly, fun fact is that this game actually started a lot of Zelda traditions, like fishing.

• August 29, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Random trivia… Link’s Awakening actually borrows the game engine from another game that only came out in Japan called “Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru” or “The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls”. There is a translation for it and it’s actually a pretty decent game!

• Sobeck

August 30, 2016 at 7:40 am

OMG! The hero of the game,Prince of Sablé is one of the most annoying assist trophy in SSB4 and nobody knew who that guy was!!! My life is now complete!!!

• August 30, 2016 at 10:52 am

The Hero from the game gets credit, It’s the prince with the Frogs in his Room.. It also borrows it’s theme 😀

• bud

August 29, 2016 at 6:59 pm

What a tease. As soon as you guys were about to play it, the video ended. I hope we don’t have to wait until next week for the next installment.

• Tanooki suit mario

August 29, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I posted a comment but it never showed up. Can’t wait for the end. I love that that whale is in skyward sword too.

• Tross

August 30, 2016 at 2:03 am

I have yet to play this one myself but I really enjoyed the Oracle games on my 3DS and the enhanced GBC port of this one is available on the eShop so maybe I’ll check it out one day. I do recall having to have the bracelet equipped in the Oracle games too though. However, I also remember it being easier to just keep it equipped as times I had to equip something else were the exception and not the rule.

• Sobeck

August 30, 2016 at 7:33 am

If you look it up there is also a Kirby Cameo wich appear as an enemy in the eagle’s tower (I saw they were called anti kirby) wich attack by inhaling you,I really thought it was awesome as a kid.

• August 30, 2016 at 11:01 am

Best GB game owned it with my brother as child, you should have played the DX version it has, it has some nice litte aditions, but it’s also slightly censored ..chicken slaughtering thief for life!

• Mikael Goyette

August 30, 2016 at 11:31 am

While Link’s Awakening is indeed an awesome game and easily the hardest Zelda game by far, I think it’s unfair to call it the best Gameboy game since you said yourself you didn’t play many of ’em as a kid because you couldn’t rent them ot whatever.

You should really try out the original SaGa trilogy, now THOSE are the best.

• Schizima

August 30, 2016 at 1:43 pm

LOL that you think this game is hard, son.
    Try Oracle of Ages or seasons. You think the bird is hard? You’re going to have nightmares from those games’ bosses.
    And those aren’t even that hard tbh. There are games with bosses that are 10x as hard as that.

• Schizima

August 30, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I should add that I beat this game when I was like eight years old, without a guide. Aren’t you like 36? This shouldn’t be hard at all.

• retronostalgia

August 30, 2016 at 6:01 pm

That is certainly a common situation: unless the game is truly easy to pick up and put down on the fly, portable games just wind up being played in our own homes. At least, as an adult that has been my experience. Where else am I gonna play a game for extended periods of time? I don’t fly frequently, and and public transportation isn’t really a thing in my area, aside from Uber. I can appreciate the “compact-ness” of portable games, but for me their usefulness in that state is limited.

Anyway, enjoyed the video. I also didn’t play Link’s Awakening until I was an adult. It doesn’t hold quite the same nostalgia value, but I played Link to the Past long ago, so there were some throw-back feels.

• RosevilleReaper

August 31, 2016 at 1:23 am

I wanna see you guys play hover junkers

• Peter Raffaele

September 6, 2016 at 12:47 pm

that part when the closed treasure chests open automatically when leaving the room is not a glitch. The room is designed so you can only open all treasure chests at once if you move the rocks correctly. If you mess up, then you lose out on the rest of the chests.

• gamerdude

September 16, 2016 at 3:51 pm

good vid never knew of this game im gnna try it out i love zelda games

• September 25, 2016 at 10:13 pm

For the original LoZ dungeons, it was not if you walked out of a dungeon and walked back in the enemies were easier, it was if there were multiple types of enemies, the game would balance out the numbers, because the game did not remember who you killed, only the amount. E.G., You walk into a room with 2 blue DarkNut, 2 red dark nut, and 2 kees, and you killed 2 kees, You walk out, walk back in, and you would get 2 blue dark nut, 1 red dark nut, and 1 kee. There is also the trick that if you left 1 enemy in an area, the others would not spawn back. This was great to do during a no sword 3 heart run (Which I recently accomplished, not so bad once you get the bow), because you can kill off all the Wizzrobes but 1 when you could, and just run through the dungeon if you ever ended up dieing.