Top 20 Most Time-Consuming AVGN Episodes to make (UPDATED April 2016)

James / April 8th, 2016

Ever wondered which AVGN episodes took the longest to make? If you want to know the whole process, see this in-depth video here. The Making of AVGN: Barbie (NES).

The list counts multi-part episodes. The reason they’re counted is because, those videos were made together, meaning the writing would happen first, for all parts, then the shooting would come, for all parts, and then, the editing would happen one at at time. Since they were produced together, my hand-written hourly logs only tell me how much time was spent from start to end, not the time spent jumping back and forth between say parts 1 and 2. So there’s no way I could ever find an accurate log for the single-Parts. That is why I have no choice but to count multi-parts, and since they were made in marathon sessions. As far as amount of time goes, the logs are very accurate.

E.T. is not counted, since that was produced as part of the movie which took years. The hours spent on the movie were never logged, and I wouldn’t even have the slightest guess. I think at that point you wouldn’t even be measuring in hours anymore.

Game Glitches
52 hours, 45 min

Star Wars
54 hours, 45 min

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Re-Revisted
55 hours, 15 min

Ikari Warriors
57 hours, 45 min

Christmas Carol (Parts 1 and 2)
59 hours

Total =122 hours, 15 min

R.O.B.
Writing = 16 hours, 30 min
Shooting = 43 hours
Editing = 60 hours
Total = 119 hours, 30 min
Re-editing = 3 hours (approx)
New Total = 122 hours, 30 min

Mega Man
Pre-Production = 38 hours
Production =47 hours, 15 min
Post-Production = 53, hours 15 min
Total = 138 hours, 30 min

Comments

• Xen11

March 26, 2015 at 2:43 pm

You keep hourly logs? Do you have precise work hours? Is this the secret of your success? Are you a workaholic?

• DHumblest

March 27, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I’ve never heard of workohol.

• April 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Here’s some sad news for you… Every one you’ve ever heard of who isn’t a friend, family member or criminal is pretty much guaranteed to be a workaholic. Even if they’re famous for something laid back and chill, behind the scenes they’re working their ASSES off.

• lartrak

April 12, 2016 at 5:49 pm

From what James has said directly and Mike has implied, James puts in crazy hours routinely on his projects. 80+ hour weeks.

• greedo

March 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Let me say once again how much I appreciate the time and effort that you put into making one of these episodes. It hasn’t gone unnoticed!

• Weldin Dunn

March 27, 2015 at 12:30 am

Yes, I bet you have. (Laser pistol shot)

• blendo75

April 8, 2016 at 10:09 pm

LOL!

• March 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm

i calculated it all together 1215.3 according to google.

• Weldin Dunn

March 27, 2015 at 12:29 am

Wow. That’s fucking crazy! I didn’t expect Dracula/Frankenstein to be on here!

• Pablo1989

March 27, 2015 at 3:38 am

Tnx for details James 🙂

BTW James sometimes if ive write comment on this website he is not shown, can you tell me why? this Is Happening.

• Xen11

March 28, 2015 at 12:58 pm

The word ‘ F I R S T’ is not allowed. There might be a couple of other words blocked as well.

There were times where I had basically written a heartfelt essay and it was instantly erased because I used ‘F IR ST’ somewhere in it.

• Don Skiver

March 27, 2015 at 6:47 am

Holy shit. That’s all I can say about this. Just holy shit. Wow. Thank you for doing what you do, James. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

• AbareKiller

March 27, 2015 at 8:56 am

The hard work is very much appreciated. When I saw the article title, I was thinking, no way Hong Kong 97 is in the list! I would bet it’s in the bottom 15.

• ToadRoad

March 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, Hong Kong 97 follows the new bland formula. 2 static shots. One of game footage, one close up on the nerd. NO OTHER SHOTS ALLOWED! The NERD will never actually get upset, but objectively, and calmly point out the game’s shortcomings. He’ll attach some non-existent hidden meaning (Beetlejuice, HK97), or lesson it can teach us (E.T.). There will be no narrative accompanying the gane review. That’s how this one was, how the Xmas episodes were, and how most episodes seem to be now. NO WAY did the recent vids take nearly as long.

• dragonchild

April 15, 2016 at 7:44 am

Um, that’s the OLD formula. Castlevania 2, Jekyll & Hyde. . . he added gimmicks here and there, but narratives weren’t introduced until the Friday the 13th episode (ep.12). Which, yes, is very early in the series, but AVGN’s been a two-shot show since before “AVGN” even existed.

• Labyrinth2_0

March 27, 2015 at 6:00 pm

So James, have any plans for a top 15 least time-consuming episodes?

• Manos

March 27, 2015 at 7:12 pm

That’s some cool information there! Do you plan on listing the Top 15 LEAST Time-Consuming AVGN Videos in the near future?

• March 28, 2015 at 11:28 pm

The Drac/Frankenstein was really worth it. Favourites, I think.

• Jamey Hiles

March 29, 2015 at 2:10 am

James, you are awesome. The time and dedication you put into these videos to entertain people is amazing. You are an inspiration for any aspiring filmmakers to work hard and keep their dreams alive. Thanks and keep it up!

• Dan021

March 29, 2015 at 11:44 pm

…and then people ask for 2 episodes a month. You have a life, a wife and a kid now. I’m always super excited for the next AVGN but if it takes a month or more to do, so be it. Enjoy your life man, we are here watching other things too. 😀 Can’t wait for the next Board James!

• April 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Yeesh. Kudos to you James. Passion requires dedication.

• King L.

April 5, 2015 at 3:29 am

I remember your talking about the least time consuming episodes in your “Making-Of” vid, with “Day-Dreamin Davey”and “Dragon’s Lair” only taking 13 hours approx. Well… will the recent AVGN eps beat them? Just curious.

• Chauncey1

April 20, 2015 at 12:56 am

Wow, thank you so much James!!!!

• April 8, 2016 at 9:43 pm

three and a half work weeks to make the longest one. always thought it took longer. nice to have such a breakdown.

• Browntown

April 9, 2016 at 12:06 pm

James, I’ve been a fan since 2008. Its not a coincidence that most of the longest episodes it took you to make are the newer, longer, and less funny episodes.

The best episodes you ever made DID NOT last 20 minutes and got straight to the point with a lot of anger and less formal reviewing.

I still love all the AVGN episodes and I went to the theater to watch the movie of course. I just think you should re-evaluate how you spend the time making the new episodes. I think you could spend much less time, create more enjoyable videos, and then be able to pump them out more often.

• greedo

April 9, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Ah, I see you’ve updated the list. Well, I can say this much for ya… no one can ever accuse you of being lazy! 🙂 You obviously put a lot of effort into your videos, and it shows. Speaking of which, your last AVGN was the best in a long while. I just can’t get over the ending, it was that good!

• john lombardo

April 9, 2016 at 7:02 pm

why did crazy castle take so long

• dragonchild

April 15, 2016 at 7:53 am

Cartoony action in a bad location (real basement, not a set) had to have taken a huge number of takes, which in turn increases the editing work.

• April 10, 2016 at 12:25 am

Appreciate all the hard work you and Mike put into the show, keep it coming!

• April 12, 2016 at 8:55 am

Mega Man? It was kind of boring to me, i like more when James focus directly on games, not on making movies. ROB have similar problem, i always end watching when ROB is getting bigger.

• April 20, 2016 at 1:05 pm

26 November 2007

Kasparov is good at protecting his king, but will he be able to protect his ass when in prison?
    MOSCOW, Russia — Former world champion Gary Kasparov was sentenced to 5 days in jail on Sunday after defeating Russian president Vladimir Putin in a contentious chess match earlier this weekend. Formally, Kasparov was charged with “defrauding a government official,” as it was determined that he couldn’t have won the game in just 11 moves without cheating.