AVGN episode 139 (COMING APRIL 6)

James / April 3rd, 2016

I’m putting the final touches on the latest Angry Video Game Nerd episode. I’ve been working on it non-stop for the past month. It unexpectedly broke the record for the most time-consuming episode I ever made. I never saw that coming. Previously the record was held by R.O.B. (2011).

It will be ready in time for the 10 year anniversary of the YouTube channel, which was created on April 6, 2006. The first episode made-for-the-internet was Karate Kid, uploaded on April 8, 2006.

2006 was a big year.
First appearance on YouTube – Karate Kid.
First appearance on ScrewAttack – TMNT.
First to have theme song – McKids.
First holiday themed episode – Friday the 13th.
First use of the name “Angry Video Game Nerd” –  Chronologically Confused.

I don’t plan to have a “10 year anniversary” special for every single thing, but this coming Wednesday is a very significant date. That’s why I put some extra effort into this one, to celebrate not only the first year of YouTube, but also the whole 12 year history of the Nerd. This one REALLY goes back to the past.

Comments

• April 3, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Nice!! Can’t wait. I wonder what it’s going to be.

• Uncle Sporkums

April 3, 2016 at 2:01 pm

WOW! You outdid your earlier efforts yet again! Congrats for all the achievements and success you and Mike have had these past 12 years and congrats on all those 10 year marks. Looking forward to the episode and what you have in store for the future and ready to laugh. Thanks for everything!

• Allen Lucas

April 3, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Sounds like an extension on the Christmas Past segment from the 2007 Christmas Carol episode. Will Stuttering Craig make an appearance?

Anyway, I’ll be in Louisiana for a family vacation, so I’ll make sure to try to watch it at the earliest moment!

• FinallyGAF

April 3, 2016 at 3:51 pm

May I guess what the episode is about?

The nerd goes back in time to see himself doing the karate kid episode.
    Why so time consuming? Because he had to rebuild his old nerdroom.

Hope I am right, since that would sound like a lot of fun. Anyway, hyped for the next episode. Thx.

• Simon

April 4, 2016 at 4:24 am

I’ve been thinking it could be something like this too – AVGN goes back in time to warn his younger self in 2006 about all the shitty games he’s about to play

• FinallyGAF

April 7, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Ha, we called it… well partially, at least.

And I have to say, that this was one of the best episodes in recent AVGN history. The humor was there, unforced and well delivered. All the effects just added to a good story, that rarely lost its focus, instead of overshadowing the events. And the message is clear. I appreciate a good AVGN episode, once in a while, instead of steady mediocre ones.

• April 3, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Wow I’ve been watching you for 10 years already?? The last decade REALLY flew by! Congrats on this HUGE milestone James and thank you for giving me so many laughs and hours of entertainment over the years! I hope that you continue to be successful for many more years to come! I can’t wait for the new episode!

• LazyBoy

April 3, 2016 at 6:18 pm

10 years of awesome videos, thank you and congratulations!

• April 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I wonder what’s the story behind ANN to AVGN change. Did Nintendo sent you a C&D letter of some sorts, or was it just about widening the scope of platforms you cover?

• lartrak

April 3, 2016 at 8:14 pm

IIRC, James has said in the past it was to avoid future actions AND to expand beyond Nintendo consoles, not that they’d actually had any legal threats. The YouTube versions still have the “Nintendo Nerd” stuff on the videos you’ll notice, so I doubt there’s been a C&D about it.

• greedo

April 4, 2016 at 9:57 pm

That’s exactly it.

• April 3, 2016 at 9:27 pm

10 YEARS? How time flies by. Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to AVGN vol 9 dvd. I always enjoy the special feature you include. Can’t wait for AVGN 2 ASSimilation on Wii U/3DS, hope that gets ported faster.

• chris hall

April 4, 2016 at 2:48 am

Good, the past was great

• April 4, 2016 at 10:53 am

Thank you for 10 Years of entertainment James, Mike, and everyone else at Cinemassacre, and looking forward to many more years to come!

• April 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

Two more days.

• andrewcounty

April 4, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Congrats and thank you for your years of dedication! I’m super excited to see the new episode 🙂

• CartridgeGamer

April 4, 2016 at 4:05 pm

awesome!! big thanks James and AVGN for all the entertainment and congratulations! looking forward to this

• greedo

April 4, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Finally! Been wondering when it would come out. Can’t wait to see it!

• Phoenix7786

April 5, 2016 at 1:38 am

Fuckin’ A 😀 Great to hear! For awhile thought you quit on us!

• April 5, 2016 at 5:52 am

Can’t wait!

• April 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Love your videos James, I’m super excited for this new one. Keep on keeping on man

• deniii

April 7, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Man, 12 years have already gone by? Seems like only 5 passed.

I was checking your oldest videos the other day. Compared to now, you looked like a kid.

Anyway, happy anniversary!

• April 20, 2016 at 1:15 pm

26 November 2007

Kasparov is good at protecting his king, but will he be able to protect his ass when in prison?
    MOSCOW, Russia — Former world champion Gary Kasparov was sentenced to 5 days in jail on Sunday after defeating Russian president Vladimir Putin in a contentious chess match earlier this weekend. Formally, Kasparov was charged with “defrauding a government official,” as it was determined that he couldn’t have won the game in just 11 moves without cheating.