Atari vs Nintendo – Mike & Pat Podcast

Mike Matei / April 2nd, 2016

Comments

• April 2, 2016 at 2:18 am

My earliest memories are of my NES and Tandy Computer in 1985, I was 3 as well. Stories like this are great! I feel young again just hearing them.

• TheYarsRevenge

April 2, 2016 at 3:20 am

I can listen to Pat wax poetic about the history of classic games for hours! So thrilled he has a book coming out. Just last week I was looking at my shelves of Atari books and thought there is an obvious room for NES studies. Glad this console will be given such an authoritative voice on the matter. Maybe Pat will be at Comic Con signing books this summer?

• April 2, 2016 at 3:27 am

I enjoyed the part about a child’s approach to an Atari game. I have been saying for years that when my child is old enough to play games, (and old enough to get into trouble,) I can ground my child from their Xbox9 (Or whatever it will be called,) but give them the option of playing my 2600 for the remainder of their grounding. They will tell me I’m [some new form of] lame, but it is worth it to instill that patience into a new human being!

• pinky

April 2, 2016 at 4:16 am

this is pinky from several hacking sites (ps3, 360, etc.). I would be interested in doing a project with u if ur interested.

• bud

April 2, 2016 at 7:22 am

Atari games are pointless. They’re short and repetitive and boring. At the time, they were everything, but in hindsight, they are easy to overlook. Nintendo games had better, more colorful graphics and intricate, complicated gameplay that spanned more than a few screens and were more than just racking up points. It’s nice to have a proper “ending” to a game rather than repeating gameplay ad infinitum. IMHO.

I don’t mean to hate on Atari; I know it required a lot of skill and imagination and inspired everything else that came afterwards. I know it’s also a generational thing, and I grew up in the heart of Nintendo, so I will always remember it fondly.

• sloth-machine

April 4, 2016 at 10:44 am

I respect your opinion, but to flat out say Atari games are ‘pointless’ is just ignorance. It goes beyond a generation thing, you are looking through a bottle neck, open that a little: Fun gameplay is fun gameplay any way you slice it.

The golden age of arcade games were not designed to be epic and involved quests. They took a quarter from you, and you got some thrill for a limited time. This is what was translated to the home. People wanted to play arcade games from the comfort of their couches.

I find it hard to believe anyone cannot have some fun with the gameplay of Yars’ Revenge or Dig Dug (which is great on the 2600, btw). When I play Atari, I play a slew of games, similar to when I would visit an Arcade. If you sit and play 1 game over and over, yeah it may get boring…just like an arcade.

• greedo

April 4, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for explaining the appeal of Atari so well, SM. Not much I could really add. Atari games definitely were not designed to be “beaten”, so much as to beat a high score. How far could you get before you died? It was simple, pick-up and play fun. What else needs to be said?

• itscmillertime

April 2, 2016 at 1:21 pm

How do I get the book? I missed the Kickstarter.

• April 4, 2016 at 11:09 am

Well, I may have a problem with the comments. They don’t appear even if I write them correctly. I probably wrote the same comment twice, sorry for the mistake.

• Paulballsftw

April 4, 2016 at 9:21 pm

The reason why no one talks about Atari as much as Nintendo is because back in the late 70s video games were new and not many kids knew about them. It was bought to kids attentions by their parents. The parents were too busy to play them as well but would have family day to play with their kids. For Nintendo it was more about kids who wanted to get them and thats when gamers were born. It was bigger for kids but older kids were also trying them. I was happy to be born in that era to be one who was into Atari before Nintendo came out. Atari to me was missing something that Nintendo added to the mix to make it right.

• Messy Fart

April 5, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I enjoyed this podcast. Good insight Pat.

• April 23, 2016 at 3:31 am