Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600) Mike & Bootsy

Mike Matei / March 30th, 2016

Mike & Bootsy play Jungle Hunt!

Comments

• gone with the vint

March 30, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I used to loved this one as a kid! Thx for the memories and keep on with the good work!

• Grandmasterp

March 31, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Yeah! This was one of my favorite Atari games growing up.

• King Kung Fu

March 30, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Looks kind of like the Poor Mans Pitfall.

• Hanglyman

March 31, 2016 at 12:26 am

It looks like an evolution of Pitfall to me. More varied gameplay and much better graphics. No treasure to collect and you can only do one thing at a time, but whereas Pitfall Harry is tripping over logs and falling into crocodiles’ open mouths, this guy is jumping right in the water with them and punching their fucking lights out, then leaping six feet in the air over angry natives with spears aimed at his crotch. Then again, his name is “Dudley Dashly”, so… ehh.

• RMBowie

March 30, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I remember playing this when I went over to my friends just before NES came out , Great Video Again Bad Luck Bootsy , likes his Atari games like he has his coffee!

• KingMike

March 30, 2016 at 10:50 pm

The arcade version was changed from Jungle King to Jungle Hunt because Taito got sued by the Edgar Rice Burroughs (?, the Tarzan guy) estate.

• March 31, 2016 at 12:16 am

Yeah, the original arcade Jungle King even has a ripped sample of the old Tarzan movie “ah-ah-ahahhhhhhh” sound.

• Slamraptor

March 31, 2016 at 1:35 am

It really seems to be parallax scrolling O_o in an Atari game. That is very impressive. The graphics in general are really good for Atari imho.

Nice review guys.

• March 31, 2016 at 12:26 pm

MIke the name was chaged to Jungle Hunt because of rites issues with the original Tarzan like character and the “Tarzan King of the Jungle” quote. I learned this from some arcade collectors

• Movie_Fan

March 31, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I sure miss the old Nerd. I watch the old episodes all the time.

When was the last time the Nerd did an NES game? Bill and Ted? Honestly , I don’t really care for the newer episodes with Dreamcast games or whatever.

I miss seeing the fights. NERD VS. Jason, Bugs Bunny, Klingon, ect. Come on James and Mike. You guys used to have so much fun with it

• Pablo1989

March 31, 2016 at 7:06 pm

It seems nerd gonna made one episode per year.

• NashKnight

March 31, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Try the arcade version too

• ToadRoad

March 31, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Forget “Rocky Jumped a Bench”, now we got “Bootsy Punched An Alligator.” I know everyone is always clamoring for more AVGN, but I want some more Bootsy Beats.

• Wandall

April 1, 2016 at 4:45 am

Taito is such a funny name as it literally means “skill” in Finnish. 🙂

• Pablo1989

April 1, 2016 at 2:46 pm

• April 1, 2016 at 10:04 pm

This kinda reminds me of Aztec Challenge but that game was extremely hard and really tested your reflexes.

• April 2, 2016 at 10:54 am

In Jungle King you played as a Tazaran like character while Jungle Hunt you played as the explorer

• The Wicker Man

April 3, 2016 at 11:54 am

You should’ve known better than to question the almighty Bootsy, Mike! “Full of shit? C’mon…”

• Paulballsftw

April 4, 2016 at 8:37 pm

This game was another easy but fun game. I loved the music even though it was simple. I kind of wonder which Atari game was considered having the best graphics. I know the later ones didn’t have just a black background and there was some with full top view that used up the whole screen. There was this skateboard game that was kind of good.

• Lanlost

April 5, 2016 at 6:28 pm

… and of course, my last comment didn’t post. Bug still exists.

• Lanlost

April 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm

1/2 Mike, did you look up the history of parallax scrolling in gaming before the final part? You basically had a disclaimer earlier in the ep. saying it wasn’t