Taz (Atari 2600) Mike & Bootsy

Mike Matei / March 23rd, 2016

Mike and Bootsy Play TAZ for Atari 2600!

Comments

• Uncle Sporkums

March 23, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Alright! Great job showing off these forgotten gems, guys. Yeah, I like the trippy stage screen on Turmoil as well. I also remember those Flintsones push-pops.

• bud

March 24, 2016 at 5:25 am

Push-Ups were amazing (grape was my favorite). I need to go flag down an ice cream truck now.

• jeff jeff

March 24, 2016 at 3:09 am

Guys, when can we expect something big. Realize you’re working hard out there, been supporting you for almost a decade now.

• JayRam

March 24, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Consider this punishment for both the Friday the 13th series review and Board James story arc we got last year.

I’m kidding, of course.

…sort of.

• bud

March 24, 2016 at 5:22 am

Never played this one before. Looks fun and addicting.

• Anthony Intino

March 24, 2016 at 6:35 am

Turmoil reminds me of a 2D Tempest 2000

• ToadRoad

March 24, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I always like these guys and their enthusiasm, but they keep talking about how it’s such a classic and they keep coming back to it. Yet they seem so surprised when things like the crazed wave happen, as if they’ve never actually played the game before. Oh and as much as this made me want a flintstone’s push-up, it made me want flintstones vitamins even more. Those were like candy, except grape.

• twinbee

March 24, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Watching you play Turmoil is painful because you could be getting so many more points. When the strobe appears at the end of a row, you’re supposed to go get it. This is by far the BEST way to score points in Turmoil. If you don’t retrieve it in time, it turns into a fast enemy. There were many times you were waiting to shoot the fast enemy when you had plenty to time to get to the end of the row to get the points instead. I think its 1000 in the early levels but not entirely sure anymore.

• Grandmasterp

March 24, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Another example of why the Sega Genesis controller is one of the best controllers ever. Backwards compatibility with the Atari, or as Taz would say,”ahh-ooo-eee-ahh-ooo, pttttttttt!!!

• Hanglyman

March 25, 2016 at 2:23 am

I’m a little confused as to how this game works. Is there any incentive to rush to collect the food before it goes off-screen, or is it a valid strategy to concentrate on avoiding the bombs and just grab some food here and there when it’s safe? Does the food change based on how much you collect, on a time limit, or on how many have been missed?

• April 2, 2016 at 12:21 am

It’s a valid strategy, definitely the long game though. The food advances when you reach a certain number of points. Each food item is worth more points as you advance. So by doing a strategy like Bootsy was doing with the turnips, it works ok when the game gets fast, but it would be painfully slow going before the new wave starts. It’s best to try to grab everything you can up through the popcicles and then start being selective, much like they were doing.

• Hanglyman

April 10, 2016 at 5:12 am

Thanks!

• marclawson

March 25, 2016 at 3:28 am

You guys have great personalities. I’d like to see the three of you (with James) as an away team in Star Trek trapped by some super advanced alien intellegence on an isolated planet. With that same asthetic, old music, and sometimes twilight zoney eerie atmosphere as in the original 1966 show. You know none of this epic BS, none of this cheesy cartoony pacing exploding effects or overspoofing shit; just your real personalities vs a super smart alien on an errie quiet planet with the feel of the old show. That would be the top nerd thing to do. I bet you guys could create it as a film because it takes nostalgic appreciation for the authentic asthetic nuance. Yeah maybe no one will read this, but boy wouldn’t be perfect?

• March 28, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Love how you’re playing with a Genesis controller…I remember when I discovered that as a kid, it blew my mind and I felt like a rocket scientist entitled to a medal for my discovery…good ol’days.

• DiscountPizza

March 30, 2016 at 5:20 pm

There was the Flintstones Kids cartoon in the 80s. A lot of the Flintstones merchandise came from that.

There was also The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones TV film. So there was new media involving them.

• March 31, 2016 at 2:29 pm

WD40 will take the sticker right off

• April 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I dunno… turnip, radish, onion (maybe)…
    Could also be a rutabaga.. 😀

• April 4, 2016 at 11:56 am

I don’t have Taz but I do have Asterix. Its basically the same game except Asterix collects roman stuff like helmets and shields. Instead of the Crazed Wave you get Obelix wave and he collects food.

I have Turmoil and its one of my favourite Atari 2600 games too.