AVGN Bad Game Cover Art #13 – Irritating Stick (PS1)

Mike Matei / December 13th, 2015

AVGN Bad Game Cover Art #13 – Irritating Stick (PS1)

Comments

• bud

December 13, 2015 at 9:32 am

And I thought “Action Fighter” was a bad generic title… Nope, this one takes the cake.

• bud

December 13, 2015 at 9:39 am

If I wanted to play with an “Irritating Stick,” I’d pull down my pants.

• Weldin Dunn

December 13, 2015 at 10:24 am

Anyone wondering what the actual game is like?

• December 13, 2015 at 10:48 am

It just a puzzle game where you try to move a stick through a maze.

• Zero DgZ

December 14, 2015 at 8:00 am

Unsurprisingly, it’s a Weird Japanese Thing. The game is based on a Japanese game show called “Ucchan Nanchan’s Challengers of Fire: 1,000,000 Yen If You Can Do This.” For some twisted reason this was just condensed to “Irritating Stick.” The game show worked sort of like the board game Operation, where you had a metal stick and had to maneuver it through a maze with metal edges. The edges are charged with electricity and if you touch them it shocks you.

The premise of the show was also translated to a Neo Geo arcade game, Irritating Maze. This game is unique in that it is the only (to my knowledge) Neo Geo MVS game that used a custom cabinet that included a track ball instead of a joystick.

Why in the nine circles of hell this game ever got localized and exported to the West is beyond me, however. Practically no one in the West was ever exposed to the original game show and as such they’d be clueless about this game. The title doesn’t help, either.

• Ace

December 13, 2015 at 11:25 am

This has certainly been the most irritating of the bad art advent calendar… I did use that word correctly, right?

• greedo

December 13, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Yes, you did! (Use the word correctly, that is)!

• greedo

December 13, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Irritating Stick? That sounds… never mind, let’s not go there. ๐Ÿ™‚ In other news, this cover sucks.

• December 13, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I don’t give a stick.

• Pablo1989

December 13, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Irritating D.ck Thats ๐Ÿ˜€ more i like it

• December 13, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Is anyone else going to point out that it appears to be Santa Claus wielding this irritating stick? What, is it trying to ruin Christmas?

• Mike E

December 13, 2015 at 6:36 pm

The game delivers on the irritating part all right!
    When you’re close to touching the wall and you need to concentrate the most, the game responds by SCREAMING IN YOUR FACE. “WATCH OUT! YOU’RE TOO CLOSE TO THE EDGE!!”

• angryrider

December 13, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Hey, James used Disco Fever” , a song I commonly hear on Classic Game Room.

• Grandmasterp

December 13, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Sounds like something Jose’ Jalapeรฑo got after a night long hooker fest. An irritating stick.

• skwij

December 14, 2015 at 4:22 am

Irritating, indeed! Thanks!

• Cineassacre

December 14, 2015 at 5:20 am

This stick is made for irritating & that’s what it might do. One of these days this stick might even irritate you.

• MelancholyRose

December 19, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I took one look at that cover and lost my fucking shit. I laughed so hard that neighbor’s dog barked.
    And wow, Jaleco made this. They made Dragonseeds.