AVGN Bad Game Cover Art #5 – Shingen the Ruler (NES)

Mike Matei / December 5th, 2015

AVGN has an Advent Calendar of Ass! Step into the art gallery as we examine some of the worst video game cover artwork, each day until Christmas!

Today’s video..

AVGN: Bad Game Cover Art #5 – Shingen the Ruler (NES)

Comments

• December 5, 2015 at 9:15 am

I guess the box was meant to be a quick reference guide while playing the game instead of having to thumb through the manual. Still, it makes for a silly cover when it should attract people to the game. I have this cartridge and I admit it would be handy to have the box.

• December 5, 2015 at 9:16 am

Doh! I should watch before I blurt out sometimes. 😉

So the instructions are only on the cartridge, lol what? 🙂

• December 5, 2015 at 8:02 pm

You wouldn’t be Highscores from miiverse by any chance? :O

• Deathbringer

December 5, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Box? You mean cartridge, lol. And it’s pretty hard to reference a cart while you’re playing with it in your original style NES. Really silly decision from the game makers there, lol.

• December 6, 2015 at 8:18 am

@SMOKINGSPOON, actually that is me.

• December 6, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Well that’s funny lol. It’s Francis from miiverse.

• culwin

December 14, 2015 at 4:34 am

Yeah the top loader didn’t even exist yet when this was made, so the only way to play it would be in your toaster where you couldn’t possibly read the cart. Pretty stupid design.

• Tanooki suit mario

December 5, 2015 at 9:19 am

All of these bad game art episodes have made me laugh so hard. My favorie so far is the action fighter one.

• JordyLaFordge

December 5, 2015 at 10:47 am

that looks pretty shitty, wonder what the games like

• The Kaleidoscopic God

December 5, 2015 at 8:31 pm

It’s like if Shogun: Total War was made for the NES (even has ninjas to send!). I like it a lot.

• culwin

December 14, 2015 at 4:35 am

It’s OK, it’s similar to some of the Toei games but not as good as Nobunaga’s Ambition for example.

• Allen Lucas

December 5, 2015 at 10:56 am

That’s so funny especially with references to The Lone Ranger and Full Metal Jacket!

• Mike E

December 5, 2015 at 11:45 am

That wasn’t the only Hot-B game to do that. The label to Palamedes also had instructions on it.
    Some Irem Famicom games also had instructions, but on the BACK label, which even more useless. 😀

• Simon

December 5, 2015 at 12:23 pm

That was a great episode especially the Lone Ranger music and references 😀

• Wayne

December 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm

From the makers of the action-packed The Black Bass and The Black Bass II games, Hot-B proudly presents Shingen the Ruler. Not only did they put TM (trademark) for “Shingen”, but they also had it for “Shingen the Ruler”… as if someone would want to use it for something else… that foiled my idea of a new game titled “Shingen Shenanigans”.

• December 5, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Decent ? I thought that painting looked great. Well.. Without all the mess added on it.

• Weldin Dunn

December 5, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Love the Full Metal Jacket Reference.

• thegrappler

December 7, 2015 at 3:35 am

This is my favorite NES game of all time. It’s right along the lines of Advance Wars strategy wise with purpose of conquering China. Seems like I could never hold more than 5 territories before I would be spread to thin and the cpu would steal them back. Bought mine at WalMart in the markdown section for $19. Good times.

• Kent Gissing