Board James Nightmare Analysis

James / December 4th, 2015

The Board James Nightmare episode was a very complex one. (SEE IT HERE) Because it’s so heavy, I’ll be posting a video in a few days, explaining the overall Board James mythology. Feel free to keep speculating. Here’s a few theories that I’ve received.

-James

____________________________

(About the release dates)
Now taking each of the days, we get: 13134314, or 1313DEAD. 13 13 DEAD is a reference to 13 13 Dead End Drive, a sequel to 13 Dead End Drive, where we see BJ, Motherfucker Mike, and Bad Luck Bootsy all get hanged, meaning they’re dead. However, when looking at the numbers we also get ACAC DEAD, and AC is an electrical current used for electric chairs, like the one BJ got at the end (it was a brief clip but noticeable). Also, when adding the letters A with A and C with C, we get A+A=1+1=2=B and C+C=3+3=6=F, or BF. BF is typically slang for either boyfriend or best friend, and when thinking about this, Im pretty sure it stands for BF DEAD or best friends dead. BJ did mention that Mike and Bootsy were his only friends, and when thinking about it they did die in 13 Dead End Drive. HOWEVER, when adding the first 13 together, we get 1+3=4, now we have 413DEAD or 4/13 DEAD. The episode that aired April 2013 was Dream Phone, the episode where Mike and Bootsy died from the phone, and BJ got the blame for it, or did he. We know that he’s psychopathic now, and that his real self is in prison, so maybe he did kill them, and this is subconscious mind playing a game on himself. After all, all this is one huge game to him. So in my opinion, this is a very complex task, and I’ve come at it in every single direction that I could. I hope you enjoyed this analysis, and I wish you a great day.

-Blake

If I understood it correctly, Mike is the real culprit and Board James was somehow framed, maybe not even on purpose since Mike could’ve also died on an accident. I bet that it all started as just a prank that gone terribly wrong.

Then Board James was sent to jail and became mad with grief, while knowing the truth and at the same time trying to deny it (hiding his memories from himself). But as Board James itself said on Candy Land, as you play more games, you remember more about your past self and thus he recovered his memory at 13 Dead End Drive episode.

This episode (Nightmare) seems to represent James trying to make Mike repent and confess, in a crazy way of madness and anger. In my opinion all of this season happens exactly AFTER (like all hats say together if you use the first letter of each one) Board James died, in purgatory. If you notice all hats, including the ones that Bootsy uses it spells AFTER 3 Skulls (can mean death from all 3) BJPB (that can means Board James Pays Back), as in Board James taking revenge after all of them died and went to purgatory.
-Jader

While thinking and re-watching the newest episode I think it’s pretty much there’s multiple timelines, since James says that it’s all a game and when they die a new one starts over (something like that). So pretty much when James was about to get hit by the missile that’s why it showed all the times he died, so in one timeline he doesn’t die, in one timeline Mike was the one who hanged Bootsy, in one timeline James isn’t a criminal, and in one timeline he becomes the AVGN which is a current timeline so that explains why there will still be avgn episodes (although avgn died in the crazy castle episode but fuck it). NOT ONLY THAT BUT IN THE OUIJA EPISODE WHEN BJ SEES MR BUCKET AND DREAM PHONE I THINK WHEN HE OPENED THE DOOR, IT OPENED A DOOR TO ANOTHER TIMELINE WHICH IS WHY THE PHONE APPEARED AND IN ONE PART YOU SEE THE FAMICON TRANSFORMER FROM THE NERD EPISODE AS IF IT’S SOMEHOW SPIRITUALLY CONNECTING TO THE OUIJA TIMELINE! And hey, you did say the Ouija Board might hold some spirits! Also I think Board James got caught by the police because in the news paper it says that his ex-crime partners “Mikey” = mofo mike, and “Boris” = Bootsy, gave the police clues on where he was located and this is why BJ says to mike “you mother fucked me you mother fucker”. I’m honestly blown away by this. I’m not sure if there would be a Season 4 unless there’s a new timeline created for AVGN where he goes back to Board Games and starts off fresh and maybe meeting Mike & Bootsy again or hell, get the guitar guy behind the couch and possible other new characters, who knows! –
– Ricardo

Comments

• Allen Lucas

December 4, 2015 at 11:03 pm

All I can say is that the episode is like Inception but with board games and murder instead of well dreams! Something like that!

• KennyM

December 5, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Yes i thought the same thing!

• December 5, 2015 at 12:00 am

I’m hyped for the video of you explaining the mythology!

• Lelygax

December 5, 2015 at 12:03 am

Wow, thanks for posting it! I’m anxious to understand more about this (I’m Jader).

• bud

December 5, 2015 at 1:23 am

I’m really glad you’ll be posting an in-depth video. I was worried we might have to wait until the DVD release for the commentary!

• Jay_Oh_Aitch_En

December 5, 2015 at 1:50 am

There could definitely be more seasons. James could do an Anthology series ala American Horror Story. Same actors, different settings, and maybe it all takes place in the same universe.

• December 5, 2015 at 2:36 am

I still feel like this has all been one big massive illusive dream created by the Dream Phone. James goes to sleep and wakes up before he finds Bootsy dead. Everything from that moment on has been shrouded in mystery.

I half thought that at the end of this episode, James would break out of the Dream Phone’s spell and awake in his bed to battle the Dream Phone to the death alongside Bootsy and Mike. But Bootsy got his dick bit off by a shark, so he wouldn’t be of much help.

The Boardception going on in this episode is reminiscent of the way that dreams can quickly jump between multiple situations or environments at the blink of an eye. And what would Board James dream about if not board games? He’s been dreaming, dreaming because of that dream phone!

Speaking of the lyrics of Dream Phone, perhaps there are clues to be found within!

• December 5, 2015 at 2:42 am

Dream Phone lyrics that might relate to the Full-Season Dream Theory:

– I keep dreaming, dreaming about my dream phone (perpetual dream for whole season)

– He’s going to make my dreams come true (The way the dreams are so vivid and detailed, like the dream has become reality)

– My bed has room enough for two (James and the Dream Phone)

– I keep calling, but no one hears (Can be heard echoed quietly in the background again directly after it’s sang) (Represents how James is trapped in the dream, even if he yells and screams in the dream, nobody can hear him or help him escape)

• December 5, 2015 at 2:48 am

Perhaps James seems to be going insane because the Dream Phone creates hallucinations (Mike, Bootsy) to try to keep Board James from realizing that he’s in a dream. Because once he realizes that he’s dreaming, he will be in a lucid state and would control the dream to his own liking and escape.

That’s why Mike and Bootsy have a tendency of fading away and disappearing, and why they for a while tried to console him, and reassure him that everything is okay.

Well, that is the perpetual dream theory.

• December 5, 2015 at 2:56 am

Not to mention that I just realized that the board game is called Nightmare, and the thumbnail literally has James with the word nightmare directly under him. This theory has legs.

• Schizima

December 5, 2015 at 3:59 am

I posted this in the video, but I agree with the other comment about james being framed. I haven’t looked at the older videos recently, but I think that something in an earlier video probably started as a harmless prank (Involving a board game), but went terribly wrong in a cause and effect type situation. Things escalated and James was framed for the murders, which is why he’s in jail. He collects board games in jail and uses his free time to plot out his revenge for when/if he gets released.

Since Bad Luck Bootsy as a character is constantly ruining the board games in every episode, my guess is that he did something that caused Motherfucker Mike to become ticked off and he ended up killing Bootsy.

Since Board James is obsessed with board games, it would only make sense that he could be framed with a board game related murder. Maybe it happened when they were much younger and that would explain why they’re playing all of these “retro” board games. Board James has been plotting his revenge for over 20 years.

• Pablo1989

December 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Can we play candy land now?

• foxmulder65

December 5, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I will try to keep my theory as brief as possible, but it is somewhat detailed. The main thrust of Board James (BJ) story is that he is nostalgic about board games and seeks out MF Mike and Bootsy to play with him, after all it’s pretty hard to play board games all by yourself. The main question is WHY is he nostalgic about it and what purpose does playing the games serve to BJ and to the plotline of the story. I will attempt to answer this question through connecting several dots throughout the latest season of BJ.

• foxmulder65

December 5, 2015 at 2:55 pm

sigh…. nm my post is too big to fit =/

• Phoenix7786

December 7, 2015 at 1:30 am

Just reply to yourself a couple of times then. I’d love to hear your theory!

• December 5, 2015 at 6:04 pm

The way I see it the games are of a supernatural nature and whoever plays them finds themselves take on the role of the player character in the actual game itself, as for what Board James says about the rules thing…I see it as like a dungeon master in D&D, I also find that in a way in the game world if you die you come back as another player character..the game world itself can be best summed up as a place where you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave..like the titular hotel in the Eagles song Hotel California.

• Simon

December 6, 2015 at 5:55 am

I’ve posted a couple of comments yesterday but they dont appear for some reason? Weird…

• Simon

December 6, 2015 at 10:23 am

Maybe BJ was framed for the murders which made him go insane, and he plans his escape from prison using Board game manuals.
    If its like Inception maybe there are multiple timelines, so in one BJ is just a normal guy playing with his friends, in another he becomes a psycho criminal, in another he’s The Nerd.

• Don Skiver

December 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Okay I just hope this explanation video comes soon because as entertaining as this was, I’m confused as hell.

• Simon

December 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm

You’re not the only one! lol

• Psychojaws

December 7, 2015 at 6:19 am

I almost wish the “Board James Mythology” would stay one big mystery; let people keep speculating coming up with their own conclusions. That’s the fun of it, isn’t it? I would love to see a “making of” video of “Nightmare.” You guys look like you had a great time making this episode. The only thing I’d like to know is what Bootsy and Board James wrote down for their worst nightmares.

• Lelygax

December 7, 2015 at 6:36 am

IMO Board James wrote something in the line of “Losing his friends or having no friends”.

• Simon

December 7, 2015 at 9:25 am

Good point, I agree with you. It’s great speculating which is part of the fun, and the “Board James Mythology” should only come to light if it truly is the end.
      Did you notice when BJ wrote something down, he gave a sort of evil smile.. interesting.

• Lukas Sprehn

February 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I generally like when things are explained along the way, slowly. And this is the case where I like it too.

• MetalHorrorNES

December 7, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I’m extremely anxious to hear/see what the explanation is. Where does AVGN fit into the equation? What I took from it was that they are the same guy? If BJ is in purgatory, jail, or whatever then that must mean so is the Nerd right? BJ appeared in the AGVN Halloween episode, which has only happened once before from what I can recall, so there has to be more to come. Hurry James, I’m getting a migraine! Nice work overall! 😉

• Simon

December 7, 2015 at 4:21 pm

In The Crow episode of AVGN, The Nerd also turned into Board James (I… think?) after talking to him, theyre definitely meant to be the same person imo or a split personality.

• MetalHorrorNES

December 8, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Agreed.
        I just love how James is putting both characters together, just awesome writing and storytelling

• Fawaz

December 8, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Is ” AVGN 12 days of Christmas” returning, PLEASE?!!!

Also, could anyone name the title xmas music in the above mentioned series?

Thanks!

• Simon

December 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm

He’s doing a series on Bad Video Game Cover Art this year.
      The music in the 12 Days of Shitsmas episodes was, er.. 12 Days of Christmas 😉

• Fawaz

December 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, he’s doing that but I wish he made “12 days of Shitsmas” a regular yearly series.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Do you know where to find that exact theme that he used.

• December 11, 2015 at 2:07 am

It’s clear Bootsy is the Antichrist.

• Simon

December 23, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I’m afraid I dont know where to find the exact theme 🙁