AVGN Bad Game Cover Art #1 – Pro Wrestling

Mike Matei / December 1st, 2015

AVGN has an Advent Calendar of Ass! Step into the art gallery as we examine some of the worst video game cover artwork, each day until Christmas!

There will be an actual AVGN Episode sometime later in the month. These are NOT AVGN episodes.. this is a special holiday event! Now prepare yourself for theΒ Nerd’s Twenty Five Days of Bad Game Cover Art!

Today’s video..

AVGN: Bad Game Cover Art #1 – Pro Wrestling (Sega Master System)

Comments

• Nick Vicory

December 1, 2015 at 11:14 am

Great idea for a series, look forward to Board James Finale.

• December 1, 2015 at 11:26 am

Ha. I like it.

• Allen Lucas

December 1, 2015 at 11:54 am

Talk about going all out for a finale!

• Matias Pinto

December 1, 2015 at 11:54 am

Love the idea !!

• CartridgeGamer

December 1, 2015 at 11:58 am

Love it! Also, cant wait until friday for the finale!!

• December 1, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Fabio in the left hand corner!

• ScaryManiac

December 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm

You’re so fucking awesome, James. You truly are the king of internet. So many awesome projects! Everything you touch turns into gold.

• December 1, 2015 at 12:27 pm

This is a great idea for a series. Those poor master system carts were so plain. Here’s my suggestion, Phalanx, or maybe Custer’s Revenge. I hope that’s just a season finale of Board James. I love that series.

• December 1, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Brilliant James.. very funny

• GameCom

December 1, 2015 at 12:55 pm

‘I was hoping we’re gonna play candy land.’ LOL love the way Bootsy delivered this line.

• jooch

December 1, 2015 at 1:12 pm

That is a rediculous cover indeed, well found! How about ninja scooter simulator?

• Bryce Neuner

December 1, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I can’t believe it’s already Christmas countdown time! There is a lot of terrible video game box art. I’m thinking Mega Man 1 is on this list somewhere near the top. Also, can’t wait for that Board James finale!

• December 1, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Your fans from the UK are going to love your take on Horace and the Spiders πŸ™‚

• December 1, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Great stuff. 31 days of this? I’ll take it. Though I gotta say, as simple as that cover art is…..I kinda like it. The sheer ridiculousness of that image kinda wins me over.

Ironically, I just wrote an article about GOOD video game box art recently myself. Cheers!

• December 1, 2015 at 1:37 pm

MM1 is probably on the list somewhere just because it’s so notorious and from a popular series.. but I also hope MM2 is mentioned because they still got it wrong there as well, though not AS badly.

Wish I could remember which port of Pac-Man it was, but I remember seeing the box art for that and being kinda stunned. It was like a stick figure Pac-Man with a giant buck tooth, eating floating wafers.

• elvirus

December 1, 2015 at 2:02 pm

YES! YES!! YES!!! Well done!
    This is the right direction, thank you! I really thought this channel is going down but now I have confidence again. THANK YOU

• MrBrrumpkins

December 1, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Look’s like James is all out of bubblegum.

• Stephen Gray

December 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm

This just made this month so much better! Thanks Nerd!

• Wayne

December 1, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Did Sega actually trademark the term “Pro Wrestling”, or did they just stick “TM” after all of their game titles? “Pro Wrestling” seems so generic that it wouldn’t get approved by the US Patent and Trademark Office, and I did not see a record for it on the website.

• diegowar

December 1, 2015 at 4:01 pm

25 five videos AND an AVGN episode, AND (probably) James & Mike Mondays. Cinemassacre is a very nice place to be on December once again, thanks guys !

• JayRam

December 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Considering this is Cinemassacre, I’m not at all surprised to see before the video started a commercial for the Squatty Potty, in which a unicorn takes a rainbow-colored dump in an ice cream cone, and some dude proceeds to eat it–all of this to showcase a product that allows people to shit properly and diminish the risk of getting hemorrhoids, bloating, and constipation.

That’s enough internet for today.

• john lombardo

December 1, 2015 at 5:41 pm

fuckin nightmare yesssssss
    and i saw forbidden bridge πŸ™‚

• Satnav

December 1, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Ooh, James has gotta do Phalanx for this then. πŸ˜‰

• December 1, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Nice to see the “Horace & The Spiders” artwork in the intro πŸ™‚ I really do hope a ZX Spectrum game gets covered at some point in the future.

• Hatebreeder

December 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Awesome, the finale of board james is on my birthday

• PERILOUSRIDE

December 1, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Dude James Awesome!!! Thank You!

• Uncle Sporkums

December 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Great idea, James! Nice mix between those yummy advent calendars from childhood, mixed with the Nerd as an overly introspective art critic. The beginning is most likely a reference to Night Gallery as well.

• Matthew Collins

December 1, 2015 at 7:25 pm

I love this idea of doing something day-by-day for Christmas. I hope that you will do this in the future!

And Nightmare as your Board James finale? HOLY F’N S**T! I love that game! I actually still have it, that and Nightmare II with Baron Samedi the Zombie. So much fun. Can’t wait to see it!

• bud

December 1, 2015 at 7:40 pm

This is cool.

• December 1, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!!!

• greedo

December 1, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Those Sega Master System boxarts were the worst. Bland, uninspired, lifeless. Can’t imagine a worse advertisement for the system. The Nintendo fan in me would cringe every time I saw it. If Sega was trying to keep me from buying their system, they succeeded!

BTW, did Sega have any licensed games for the Master System? I don’t recall them having any until Genesis. Seemed like they were all in house games.

• greedo

December 1, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Oh, forgot to mention… Old Spice Must have taken inspiration for their new commercial from this game. It sure shows! πŸ™‚

• Uncle Sporkums

December 2, 2015 at 5:24 am

That terrible ALF game was one.

• bud

December 1, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I just want to say it’s great to have something to look forward to every day, and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. This is a terrific idea for a spinoff video series in the AVGN tradition.

Also, Board James finale. What can I say? I can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us next.

• Hanglyman

December 1, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I love it already and am looking forward to more. I hope this becomes an annual tradition. Bad game covers, and AVGN, AND Board James all in one month, and right after doing Monster Madness AND the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde trailer? You’re amazingly generous to your fans.

• December 2, 2015 at 1:58 am

This cover art show is god-awful. I have to say it, it’s rare anything on Cinemassacre is awful.

However the Board James trailer made me jump in excitement. Holy fuck I’m pumped for that.

• Pablo1989

December 2, 2015 at 7:14 am

Finally AVGN about game covers πŸ˜€ ive rymeber PS2 game Freak out who had blank red cover with game logo on it.

• The Wicker Man

December 2, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Even during the time period they were being released I hated the Master System “grid” covers. Utter shit.

• Grandmasterp

December 2, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I bet there’s going to be a lot of those on this list.

• nammm3

December 3, 2015 at 12:11 am

That Board James finale looked epic!

• Psychojaws

December 3, 2015 at 8:02 am

HA! I love the Advent Calendar of Ass! A count down like this should be a yearly Christmas tradition, Mr. Rolfe. Last year was the 12 Days of Shitsmas and now this. I know these aren’t episodes, but I think it’s a great idea to do something leading into Christmas. Keep’em coming!

• meinerHeld

December 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH that BJ announcement took me completely off guard GAAAAAHHHH I’m going wild I’m so pumped!!

• December 6, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Man finally I see something ZX Spectrum related…long live the Speccy!

• skwij

December 14, 2015 at 4:28 am

A video every day? Man, you guys do this all the time! You’re the best! Thank you!

• Ben_from_G-town

September 25, 2016 at 4:22 am

He’s wrestling his own head! Hahaha, Bad Cover Art Advent Calendar is a great idea!