Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde NES DEFEATED!! with Mike

Mike Matei / October 30th, 2015

Well, this has been a long time coming! James and I have been trying to beat this game since he made episode 2 of the Angry Video Game Nerd. We have both had a vendetta against this game for as long as I can remember. This is regarded as one of the hardest NES games ever made. Also, there are two endings to this game. Fortunately, I was able to defeat the game with the better ending which includes a final boss battle. Now that I’ve beaten the game, I intend to eventually show James how to beat the game, because I have a somewhat better understanding of how to do it now. Even though I’ve beaten it, I have to be honest it’s still not 100% clear to me. But I will attempt to explain it here. (Because I don’t want to forget)
Essentially, it involves getting hurt purposely by the bombs. You see, you have two meters. The life meter and the Jekyll & hyde meter. And you always want your Jekyll/Hyde meter to be lower than your life meter (on the final barrel stage).
So, on the barrel stage, you need to try and get hit by the bombs more than the barrels. But you don’t want to take a direct hit from the bombs. You need to be walking away from the bombs (to the left) and take small amounts of damage TO YOUR J&H meter! Then, once you are in Hyde’s world, just keep walking left and fighting the monsters. Eventually, the Hyde level switches to the Rooftops. What I learned here is that, even if you die and have to continue, once you continue, you will STILL be on the rooftops!! This was a huge realization to me, which I didn’t know previous to this live stream. The game kind of throws you a bone with that, which is very uncommon.
The final boss isn’t that difficult. He’s just a red version of the green faces that you see often in Hyde’s world. Except now he has a life meter. After you beat him, there’s nothing else to do except walk to the wedding. I think it’s really stupid they have you continue walking after that. The game should just end.
Overall, I think this is a pretty bad game.
The hardest things in the game are the flying satellite things in Hyde’s world. (The bee’s and barrels as well)
It’s not the worst NES game in my opinion. I hate Back to the Future 2&3 (NES) a lot more than this game. Like E.T. on Atari, it is a very difficult game to understand how to play. Even after beating it, and knowing everything I do about it, I still think it’s confusing. It’s just not a good game play mechanic. But the Nerd can describe why it’s bad better than I ever could so I’ll leave that to him. If you haven’t seen the AVGN video about this game, check it out. – Mike

AVGN: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde β–Ί

See me playing the first few levels here β–Ί

This playthrough is dedicated to James Rolfe. And I guess Blockbuster video too πŸ˜‰

Comments

• Joona Tynkkynen

October 30, 2015 at 4:29 am

Good Job! This game is hard.

• ToadRoad

October 30, 2015 at 4:30 am

Fitting video for Halloween.

• October 30, 2015 at 4:32 am

I was really hoping we’d somehow be able to beat this game in time for halloween. By some miracle, I did this tonight. Crazy.

• bud

October 30, 2015 at 10:18 am

This was a real journey for me too. Just like James, I rented this when I was a little kid, played it futilely for 15 minutes, and was depressed for the rest of the rental period. Thanks to you, the journey is finally at an end!

• 0skulock

October 30, 2015 at 5:30 am

Hey Mike,

Could you pleast make a post on Twitter whenever you go live with a stream? I really wanna watch these live but i always miss them because i really don’t use YouTube Gaming and the regular YouTube doesn’t even show that you’re live. Thanks.

• October 30, 2015 at 5:31 am

Genuine happiness! Great moment! πŸ™‚

• Paul Sendell

October 30, 2015 at 5:59 am

Finally! Can we let this game/joke die now please xD

• bud

October 30, 2015 at 6:28 am

I’m not going to lie, I just unloaded in my pants. Congratulations! And Happy Halloween! I wish James could have been there to witness it. It’s a long time coming.

• October 30, 2015 at 6:42 am

holy fuckin shit mike i totally give you props bro now you should challenge bootsy and see if he can beat it in 50 mins or less and get another bootsy beats episode rolling that is if he’s up to it lol

• October 30, 2015 at 7:14 am

correction not 50 mins just see if he can get less than your playtime that would be awesome i just realized this was a 2 part deal lol

• Johan Γ–berg

October 30, 2015 at 6:53 am

So! Are you now going to start telling people “this game isn’t really that hard, you just have to know how to play it”?

• Pablo1989

October 30, 2015 at 7:47 am

Nice work ;D Try Sweet Home next.

• October 30, 2015 at 8:19 am

So Mike you said something about people on Youtube showing how they beat the game and it was just the last stage without no enemies … well isn’t that the same thing that happened when you beat the Mr. Hyde Boss?
    I didn’t watch those Youtube vids, so possibly I’m wrong.

Also, is there a relation between the meter bar going down and receiving damage while you jump or maybe getting hit from behind?
    And the dogs always bring your meter bar down, without dealing damage to the health bar, ALWAYS.
    Sooooo, could it be, that you have different hit boxes on your body, some of them bring the health bar down, when hit and some of them bring the meter bar down, when hit??
    I’m actually thinking this up on the fly as I write this post here XD
    Look, the dogs always hit the meter bar ONLY, so this might tells where the meter-hit-box is on your body, since it’s always the same height, you get hit on.
    Which means, if my theory is true, that there are different hit-boxes for the health bar and for the meter bar, we could assume that the meter-bar-hit-box is on the lower part of your body.
    So you should maybe test, if you get hit on a certain part of your body, for instance your ass, do you always receive the same kind of damage of damage?
    So sometimes your health-hit-box will get hit,
    sometimes your meter-hit-box will get hit,
    and very important, sometimes BOTH hit boxes get hit … so keep that in mind before you say it’s random, which seems unlikely to me.

And one last thing, I cannot test that for you, because I never played the game XD

• October 30, 2015 at 2:02 pm

There was one where they were using save states and it looked like there was a lot less enemies throughout. Thanks for all the tips!

• October 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Oh Ok just less enemies, yeah that’s different then.
        You’re welcome.
        Looking forward to the upcoming Jekyll and Hyde events you guys have planned ^^

• D3MoNR3N0

October 30, 2015 at 9:26 am

wow man. I just don’t get it. I will not even try to beat this fucker!

• October 30, 2015 at 9:57 am

That was intense!

• PPerfect_CJ

October 30, 2015 at 10:28 am

Congrats, Mike! Man, I thought you were about to cry tears of joy and I wouldn’t blame you one bit!

• October 30, 2015 at 11:44 am

I beat this the cheap way using save states a couple weeks ago. Great freakin’ job doing it legit! On a side note, I really love the music in this game.

• Fred Fuchs

October 30, 2015 at 11:46 am

I must be the only person who likes this game. Played it on an emulator and it’s actually pretty cool because of the difficulty. It’s a lot too confusing though.

• October 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Congratulations! πŸ™‚

• Arse Farts

October 30, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Wow I am rather shocked that Mike has finally completed this. It was rather funny as my reaction would be me screaming and swearing, while being super happy! But well done to you man, no emulation or anything just good old console and hard work. Well done you deserve a reward for this but perhaps someone should deserve one for definitely if they did a speed run! πŸ˜€

• Newcastle

October 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm

That’s fucking awesome. I must say after watching it…what a fucking strange game.

• Mandelorean

October 30, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Congrats Mike!

• chris jackso

October 30, 2015 at 4:43 pm

i like how real your emotions are about winning and beating it. i can completely relate.

• david wilson

October 30, 2015 at 4:51 pm

congrats Mike…. that must feel like relief

• Itai Lev

October 30, 2015 at 6:24 pm

You are a god among men.

• October 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Good job!

• bud

October 30, 2015 at 10:38 pm

No comment from James?

• Wayne

October 31, 2015 at 1:29 am

Great job Mike! If you want a much harder challenge, try to get the bad ending. The Japanese version is a lot better, but it is overall more difficult… getting the bad end on the Japanese version is extremely difficult (near-impossible).

At 45:30 in the video right after the explosions pause and then start back up, you can see someone is hung from the church’s cross in the background. It is MUCH clearer in the Japanese version of the game, so the US version probably censored it. My assumption was that it was Mr. Hyde being hanged up there, which helps explain the final image at the end with Mr. Hyde and the cross. Although, it could be the red Letule you have just defeated.

• Kenshiroh

October 31, 2015 at 1:56 am

I just watched the Monster Madness City of the Dead review after watching this video. In City of the Dead there is a dead guy carrying a cross, which looks very similar to the silhouette shown at the end when you beat the game.

• Blue Wizard

October 31, 2015 at 2:19 am

Wow, just wow. All that’s left to say is

CONGLATURATION !!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETED A SHITTY GAME.

AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE OF OUR CULTURE.

NOW GO AND REST OUR HEROES !

• Thin Thrizzy

October 31, 2015 at 4:57 am

One of many, many, many reasons Mike will remain a permavirgin. “Come to my Nintendo living room and watch me beat a video game literally no one else cares about”. Imagine if he beat up a pussy, like with a dick. That would be a real triumph. But hey, Mike; at least you’re still “better” than James so you can still act like a bored, pompous asshole whenever you talk to him.

• Josh Beerchief

October 31, 2015 at 7:28 am

11 years you say? I’m 34. Minus that by 11 years, the most popular games that was out at that time for me was on xbox and that was Halo 2, Fable 1, Splinter Cell, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Battlefront, Ninja Gaiden, Max Payne… the list goes on. Now these games are nostalgic to a whole new breed of kids.
    Funny how things work out.

• SpearedPage

October 31, 2015 at 8:33 am

I feel like a demon has been exorcised. Congratulations, Mike, and enjoy.

• Grandmasterp

October 31, 2015 at 10:52 am

nicely done Mike, and you even got the good ending… Or is it??

• Grandmasterp

October 31, 2015 at 10:59 am

END is spelled backwards like a mirror image of the dark world looking back at you.

• Grandmasterp

October 31, 2015 at 11:01 am

Or something like that.

• mikeMike

October 31, 2015 at 12:02 pm

it is stupid how ppl put videos on youtube of hard games using savestates let see them beat without the savestates

• mikeMike

October 31, 2015 at 1:39 pm

congrats dude such a hard shitty game

• October 31, 2015 at 3:58 pm

MIKE, you say OH MY GOD!! 62 times!!! as soon as you start the boss fight till the end!! great job, good luck james…….

• October 31, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Mike, you will have to revisit M.U.L.E. I can understand why you find it boring as a kid, but it’s a surprisingly deep and fun multiplayer strategy guide.

• Ben_from_G-town

November 1, 2015 at 6:48 am

AWESOME! YOU FINALLY BEAT IT! It’s too bad James wasn’t there with you, though, so you could’ve beaten together. You’re right that it’s not over yet, because James still has to beat it. But yeah, awesome video. Good job. πŸ™‚

Those things aren’t satellites, by the way. They’re some kind of flying monsters. πŸ˜›

• job_43

November 2, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Congrats. That was really cool. Nice shout out to James at the end as well. I have good friends but rarely have the chance to break down our beginnings.

• RoxasOfLight

November 3, 2015 at 11:23 am

So it really can be done! I’ve always wanted to see it done. Good job!

• November 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

This is why video games are played! Congrats, dude. Years of wanting it and you finally have it! I’m so glad technology allowed us to share that moment with you!

• November 5, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Major grats, Mike. James needs to get you a Matrix of Leadership to hoist as trophy. Seriously, this is a “killing Unicron IRL” accomplishment. I thought I was good for beating TMNT, but I take my hat off to you, sir.

• gamelover200

December 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Hey mike, if you see the bomb maniac, make sure you make him drop the bomb as early as you can, since you cannot scroll the screen left, you’ll have enough room to run left

• December 6, 2015 at 10:48 pm