Top 10 Cryptic Gaming Moments

James / September 17th, 2015

AVGN CLIP COLLECTION

Relive all the frustrating experiences from all those “Where the fuck do I go?” type of games. All those times when you need to get Nintendo Power magazines.

Comments

• Wayne

September 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm

On the Milon’s Secret Castle segment (#3 on the list), The Nerd holds up a Ninja Gaiden issue of Nintendo Power (March/April 1989). My name is in that issue in the NES Achievers section for the high score of 999,950 in Commando… not really an achievement, but at least I was able to get my name in an issue of Nintendo Power. Nintendo Power was great for reference information and for previewing upcoming games. The planning Nintendo did in order to incorporate secret codes into the games and then make them only known through Nintendo Power was ingenious.

• Weldin Dunn

September 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I knew this would be up some time! Gee, who would have thought Simon’s Quest would be on here?

• September 18, 2015 at 10:51 am

Yeah lol.. I hoped there would be some new ones in that video.
      I’m surprised he never mentioned Metroid, there are pretty cryptic stuff in them. Even, Super Metroid. Remember that glass tube you need to break to go into Maridia?

• MrBrrumpkins

September 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm

“Rambo Commando, Rambo Commando, Rambo Commando”

• Brad Rice

September 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Here you go AVGN, my smart-ass Mario level that meets your criteria haha!

• GoldenTurtle

September 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

You guys get more and more epic by the video

• DrWho198

September 17, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Yep, thats what the nerd was all about. I love seeing old clips. I even love the SD sincce that gives the feeling that the nerd is just a dude who took his camera and wanted to show the world how frustrated he gets from these games. HEY! Wait a minute… Thats how the Nerd really got started 😉 Thnks for this collection!

• bud

September 18, 2015 at 8:40 am

The older nerd videos had a more improvisational feel, like he would just be playing and accidentally stumble upon these things and then revolve the video around that. The new nerd videos are more thought out with lots of planning and feel like short films unto themselves. I like both, but I do miss the classic guerrilla style of the early stuff. (But mostly, I miss the consistency of new nerd videos coming out twice a month.)

• bith the black

September 17, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I remember being stuck on the zodiac puzzle of Silent Hill so much that I turned to magazines for the solution… they had the wrong answer as well.

• Mac Tonight

September 18, 2015 at 12:47 am

I miss the days of cryptic games. Nowadays every game has a long ass boring tutorial that treats you like a total idiot.

• bud

September 18, 2015 at 8:28 am

Hehe. I miss these old episodes. 🙂

• Simon

September 18, 2015 at 11:30 am

Love seeing these clips 😀 I wonder if No.1 could be a clue to something present in a certain other series?

• September 19, 2015 at 6:31 am

Thank you James!

• Chris Abel

September 19, 2015 at 7:43 am

You guy’s should play Mythologies of Sub-Zero on PS1!

• September 19, 2015 at 8:51 am

Please tell me the name of AVGN theme remix #7, pleeeease??

• September 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Look like i missed one episode The Jaguar 1.

• September 19, 2015 at 5:41 pm

You want criptico? Then take this opus cryptic : http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585678-daedalian-opus …WWTF.

• September 20, 2015 at 8:48 am

Hello, James 🙂 The Seaman review was awesome and funny as hell 🙂 I’ve got a request: please review Gimmick for the NES.
    And one more thing: could you e-mail me the separate AVGN theme tracks? I mean the guitar, drums and vocals? Also ask Kyle if he still has them. I’d like to use these for my AVGN theme remix. Thanks in advance 🙂
    Best wishes and greetings from Russia,
    Igor Radaev.

• The Faceman

September 21, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Ah, good old Nerd, fucking love that guy. 🙂

• September 26, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Love it. Reminds me of finding the chests in Super Ghouls N’ Ghosts

• skwij

September 28, 2015 at 5:36 am

Yes! The lists are fun! Thanks!

• October 1, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Cryptic is right. It doesn’t give me the actual video it gives me the top 5 game glitches. Had to search Youtube for the real video. WTF