Name the clips – TNT’s MonsterVision

James / September 14th, 2015

This is a work in progress.

Remember the classic intro to TNT’s Monstervision (1993-1994). As a fun little side project, I’ve been planning on restoring the image quality. The only way to see it is from old VHS copies, with poor quality. SEE IT HERE.

SEE THE SEMI-RESTORED VERSION HERE.

I’ve been going directly to the movie DVD’s, finding the clips, and reconstructing the intro. The idea is to make it seem like you’re watching it fresh, for the first time, as it was first seen 20+ years ago, but probably even better quality than it’s original broadcast. And yes, someone is working on the colorization and graphics.

Here’s where I need help. There are some clips that I couldn’t identify. You’ll notice they are the ones where the frame is smaller. See if you know what movies they are from. Submit your answers in the comments below, and thanks in advance!

00:02 – Moon

00:08 – Test tubes/ face

00:16 – Test tubes

00:18 – Lab equipment

00:21 – Hand on buttons

00:22 – Swirling wheel

00:23 – Hand coming to life

Just to be clear, those are the only clips that are missing. If you want to know the clips that I’ve already found, they are from The Haunting (1963), The Walking Dead (1936), The Monster (1925), The Return of Doctor X (1939).

UPDATE (10/25/2015)

IT’S DONE! Thanks everybody for helping to find those remaining clips.

Comments

• frostare

September 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Neat! I dunno anything about monstervision since I don’t live in the US (or in an english speaking country for that matter). That’s why your channel is like universal.

• September 14, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Cooooooool

• September 14, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Cool! Can’t wait for Monster Madness!

• Anime Freak

September 14, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Monster Madness next month!!!!!!
    I can’t wait!
    Can you give a hint to the theme?

• JayRam

September 14, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Wish I could help you out, but with the clips as short as they are, it’s really difficult to tell from which movies they’ve been taken. Hope you can finish it in time for October, as a bonus video.

Speaking of October, can’t wait for Monster Madness.

• September 14, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I don’t know myself, but I passed this link along to Joe Bob Briggs’ official Facebook page.

• mike king

September 15, 2015 at 1:12 am

WOW!!! James you are doing a GREAT JOB!! Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it all done

• September 15, 2015 at 3:10 am

anyone interested in hunting that, the movies james identified were either from Warner(who runs TNT to this day) or MGM, so you could narrow your search to these two

I wonder if you will be able to really capture the whole 90’s aesthetic of that, sure the music itself already does a lot of the trick, I suggest you keep it 4:3 at least

• Dylan Spallin

September 15, 2015 at 8:42 am

Just got so pumped for Monster Madness!! Can’t wait!

• September 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

The clip of the face at 00:08 comes from “The Devil Doll” (1936), available in the same box set as Return of Doctor X. Some of the other lab shots might come from that film as well.

• September 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

Good morning, James. Joe Bob Briggs’ assistant, Tracy, messaged me on Facebook. She said if you would like to get in touch with Joe Bob e-mail him directly at [email protected]. He may know all of the movies in the opening sequence to assist in your restoration. She said it could take a little time to respond, but he will respond to your questions. I hope this helps, James. Good luck! 🙂

• September 15, 2015 at 9:21 am

It says e-mail protected in the post. So here it is “un-protected” I hope joebob at joebobbriggs dot com

• culwin

September 15, 2015 at 9:21 am

WTF my comment doesn’t show up.
    Let me try again.
    Maybe it doesn’t like the links? Would be nice if it told me…

00:16 is from Doctor X (1932). Maybe some other clips are from that too.
    Proof:
    (Thanks Google Image Search!)

Also the lab equipment from 00:18 looks like it is also from The Walking Dead (1936).

• culwin

September 15, 2015 at 9:25 am

Oh well, it won’t let me post links in any form. Just trashes the post and doesn’t say why. How annoying.

• diegowar

September 15, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I think you can but you’ve got to know HTML, which about 0.1% of people do 🙂

Example :

• diegowar

September 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Or actually, maybe it doesn’t work 🙂

But my whole message didn’t get ignored at least, it just ate the link :p

• Weldin Dunn

September 17, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Wow! Great job!

• September 18, 2015 at 1:03 am

Wow really great job so far on the restoration. I only watched monster-vision a couple of times growing up. I thought it was kind of interesting, but I didn’t fully appreciate it at the time.

It’s only because of james that I now own a DVD collection of old horror movies that numbers literally in the hundreds. And boy did I watch them (paying especially close attention to the ones recommended by james personally) I became very familiar with all of james’ old favorite classics. Even to the point of being able to hold my own against him in his horror trivia videos.

So while I missed out on monster-vision and all the awesomeness that came with it, its okay. Because just like james had monster-vision to get him into these movies, I had something even better. “Cinemassacre’s Monster Madness”. Your monster madness has become the equivalent of my monster-vision. And as much as you cared about monster-vision, that’s exactly how I feel about monster madness. And its all thanks to james. So yeah, thank you.

• September 23, 2015 at 11:10 pm

The shot of the test tubes and face at 00:08 is from the film ‘The Devil Doll’ made in 1936 by Todd Browning. I suspect some of the other shots of test tubes are from that movie too.

• October 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm

The spinning wheel is from a black and white version of ‘Doctor X’.

• October 11, 2015 at 8:01 pm

If it’s any help the one thing all these movies (Doctor X, The Return of Doctor X, The Haunting, The Walking Dead, The Monster & The Devil Doll) have in common is that they are all owned by Warner Brothers.

• October 16, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Hey everybody, thanks for the help! I will try to look for those clips mentioned and see if I can get this thing finished in time for Halloween. Maybe or not, we’ll see. Sorry about the HTML issues. That happens to me too.

• October 20, 2015 at 4:38 am

I’ve been doing a little research and I believe the spinning wheel is from the original Dr X.