SPECIAL EFFECTS – AVGN Movie

James / July 21st, 2015

Today is the 1 Year Anniversary of the premiere of Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie. The first public screening was on July 21, 2014 at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. It was an epic night for all of us.

Here, for the first time on YouTube, is the special effects documentary from the Blu-ray/DVD. It shows the creative process behind the practical effects in the film.

Most of the film was shot in the Los Angeles area, inside studios and exterior locations which all required expensive permits. We also worked with union cast and union crew members. It was a big production, but ironically, many of the effects were done with a small local crew, Cinemassacre-style, after I returned home to the East Coast.

Enjoy this documentary, which only gives a small glimpse at the making of the film. There is so much more to it. I plan to release more videos like this, over time.

See the movie here:

Blu-ray on Amazon.com

See details on the 10+ hours of bonus content here.

Streaming options:

Vimeo On-Demand

GOG

YouTube

Steam

Comments

• July 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I am so impressed with the level of realism in this movie. Barely any CG. Going old school. That’s what I love most about this film and your entire body of work, James & Kevin. Still love this movie and I’m glad to have it in my DVD collection! Also, Mike, you’re a trooper for the effects you dealt with. Not sure I’ve tied an invisible knot, but it can’t be easy.

• itscmillertime

July 21, 2015 at 4:25 pm

James and Kevin…. Dlare you fans of Kevin James.?

• JayRam

July 21, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Damn, I can’t believe it’s been a year already. I remember the night of the big premiere: you were tweeting the day of, posting pictures of fans who attended. That must’ve been an awesome feeling.

Really hope you’re working on another screenplay in your spare time. Perhaps another installment in the Jersey Odysseys series? Is that still on the horizon?

• Weldin Dunn

July 21, 2015 at 6:11 pm

He’s always told the fire department-missile story. It never gets old. I love the creativity in the effects here.

• GameCom

July 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm

That was fucking awesome, thanks for posting it James!

• July 21, 2015 at 8:36 pm

How about a return to the monthly AVGN format instead? I think a lot of your fans would appreciate that. Don’t get me wrong, I love your other works, James. And these special videos are mostly cool. But the AVGN series is what keeps most of us here. And if you’re retiring the AVGN series for good, that’s okay too. Come up with something new and exciting. But do something besides James & Mike Mondays and special videos on things you’ve already done and put to bed. Sorry if I’m complaining too much. I just miss new AVGN episodes on a regular basis so much.

• July 22, 2015 at 10:01 am

Been working on the new AVGN for the past month. It finally reached the editing stage, so it shouldn’t be too much longer.

• July 22, 2015 at 10:01 am

By the way, thanks for being a long term fan.

• July 23, 2015 at 12:18 am

That’s great to hear, but will that be one and then stopping again for many months, or do you plan to start producing AVGN content regularly again each month? Of course you could do Board James, Bullshit Man, or even something brand new and I’d be happy. What can I say, I’m addicted to your work. 🙂

• July 22, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I think the Board James series is also good. It is creative and it sort of has a story line. I check back for Board James, too.

• meinerHeld

July 25, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Me like Board James!!

• Lukas Sprehn

July 24, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I don’t think you should expect monthly episodes again. It’s probably going to be about 4-5 a year now, unless there’s a holiday special, like last year’s Twelve Days of Shitsmas. James are trying to focus on other series and films.

Which reminds me James, are you planning on going back and rebooting The Jersey Odysseys, and if so, would that happen to be anytime soon?

• Don Skiver

August 16, 2015 at 2:39 am

I agree. My favorite stuff on here is the scripted stuff; AVGN, Board James, Monster Madness… Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy J&MM, but the scripted stuff is the stuff I keep watching again and again and again. They don’t have to be super intricate videos like your ROB episode or anything, they could be simple ones like your original Simon’s Quest video.

I guess all I’m saying is I hope you don’t give up and shelve your scripted characters and take the easy way out and start making crappy game grumps type videos.

• Aaron

July 22, 2015 at 12:43 am

Big fan of the movie, and I loved the use of the practical special fx. The amount of dedication and time the entire crew put into it all is impressive. Thanks for posting this vid to give everyone who enjoyed the film a behind the scenes look at all the effort that actually went into creating it. Also, I have to agree that seeing those miniatures get destroyed was bittersweet. They were very well made. It’s a shame more movies don’t use them.

• JustBurn

July 22, 2015 at 1:34 am

Didn’t occur to anyone to actually use sugar glass instead of a real glass? It should had been perfect for those scenes…

• ToadRoad

July 22, 2015 at 10:45 pm

MMMMM….Sugar Glass.

• JustBurn

July 23, 2015 at 1:21 am

MMMMM… Yes! It’s been used in films as stunt glass for years!
        * It’s functional – you can even drink from a sugar glass cup.
        * Easily breakable – Striking a “bottle of wine” made of sugar into the actor’s head won’t cause him head trauma as much as a real bottle!
        * Shards are not as dangerous as real glass – hot water can dissolve small shard particles.
        * It’s tasty – You can break and eat small shards, they are actually very delicious!
        * DIY easily – You can make the glass in your kitchen with just a regular pan or pot (given you have the ingredients and the mold), handle with precautions because the sugar gets extremely hot.

• ToadRoad

July 24, 2015 at 12:45 am

I used to eat it in school productions when the curtain would close.

• July 22, 2015 at 5:51 am

Oh man, I held my breath as Dethmosis(spelling?!) punched through that last building and then to see James happy reaction when it worked.

So much love went into this movie~<3

• mbtthew

July 22, 2015 at 7:30 pm

This is why it’s the AVGN movie I was expecting. It’s that Cinemassacre way of film making entwined with James’ sense of humour. It’s excellent.

• July 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Incredible amount of work. Now it’s clear why hollywood went full cg.

• whatabird

July 22, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Wow, I love the making of and of course the movie, it’s incredible how they find these guys and effort for a small bugget independant movie. At Hollywood some guys are thinking the same way for pratical effets against all CGI, Legacy Effects, a well known company of special effects, anyone who love behind the scenes check out their geat videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLegacyEFX) I learned they also did some independant movies,and if someone want to learn and create special effects visit Stan Winston School.com, they also have a great youtube channel.

• The Faceman

July 23, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I enjoyed that more than I did the actual movie.

• Matt Fitz

July 24, 2015 at 12:33 am

Hey man,

I would like to say that I’ve been following you guys for about 2 years now. I found AVGN whilst on a random hike around YouTube. I was instantly hooked. The language that you would use was hilarious and pretty much the kinda shit that I say on a regular basis.
    I watched every episode back to back. Found Cinemassacre.com and have loved Board James, James and Mike Monday’s and especially Mikes new addition Talk about Games.
    I was born in 87 so I missed out on the Atari era by a little. Although since I was young my brother an I have had the NES to the SuperNes and pretty much everything up to PS4.
    You guys bring epic nostalgia and I really support everything that you do. I also just watched the AGVN movie like 5 mins ago and big kudos to that accomplishment. It was hilarious.
    Keep on trucking James and Mike. You dudes are epically underground that own the gaming internet world.

Big love.

• hm nah

July 25, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Hi, i’m from France and just created an account to say that your evil Samurai strangely looks like that “Steel Samurai” from Phoenix wright, couldn’t post an image though… a spiritual connection maybe 😉

• rian fox

July 28, 2015 at 1:02 am

Your love and respect for all that is practical is what makes you shine! Keep up the great work and I hope I see your name at the end of a Star Wars or a Terminator movie someday

• rian fox

July 28, 2015 at 1:03 am

or Monster Squad 2

• rian fox

July 28, 2015 at 1:05 am

or Shawshank Redemption 2 The Legend of the Crystal Skull…… whichever you choose

• MrBrrumpkins

July 28, 2015 at 9:14 pm

This is really good.

• Vernon Schaal

September 29, 2015 at 10:35 pm

This movie was ass! I rather eat buffalo shit. Should I use your slogans? No I’m not joking, this movie was terrible. It wasn’t funny, at any time i the movie. I got seriously bored after 20 minutes, and forced myself to continue watching just because it was AVGN. But it just continued to get worse. The special effects were garbage, the actors sucked, the sets were cheap, yet you raised over 300k. Your movie is estimated at around 68k – 70k lol. We all know where the rest of the money went, into your pocket.