R.I.P. Christopher Lee (1922-2015)

James / June 11th, 2015

Sadly, CHRISTOPHER LEE, the last of the great classic horror stars, has passed away. His range is wider, yes, but Dracula never dies.

Share you memories of him and his films in the comments, and if you weren’t familiar with him, check out my Hammer Dracula reviews here.

Horror of Dracula (1958)

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968)

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)

Scars of Dracula (1970)

Dracula AD 1972 (1972)

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)

Comments

• June 11, 2015 at 9:37 am

I won’t lie and act like I was some uber fan who watched every one of his works. That would be an injustice I see happen every time a celebrity dies.

Really, the only role of his I have had a chance to really experience was his role in the Star Wars prequils, but in watching your own videos James, I learned just how skilled an actor he truly was, and how far back his legacy went.

It saddened me to wake up this morning to see the news, but I am happy he had the chance to have an absolutely amazing career.

He was already a legend in his own time. Now, you could say he is more than that. He is a part of history.

Thank you for the decades of work, Christopher Lee. Hopefully I will find the time to enjoy all of your work.

• June 11, 2015 at 11:42 am

Count Dooku was the bomb!

• BrandeX

June 19, 2015 at 7:50 am

RIP (voice of) Lucan D’Lere

• June 21, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Just putting this out there for those who want to know.

TCM is doing a Christopher Lee Minithon tomorrow morning. They will be showing a few of the movies listed above, and will kick off with the Mummy.

• Toki2110

June 11, 2015 at 9:39 am

An amazing Dracula and all around wonderful actor, RIP

• Phoenix7786

June 11, 2015 at 9:52 am

I was just devastated when I woke up this morning and saw the news. His work and his legacy will live on. Rest in peace, Sir Lee.

• y2j420

June 11, 2015 at 10:00 am

He will always be the Man With the Golden Gun to me…

• Allen Lucas

June 11, 2015 at 10:10 am

Though sad, he lived an amazing long life! It’s great that I was able to start watching his older horror movies after seeing him in both LOTR and Star Wars. I think his wide range of movie roles will continue to be seen by generations of fans!

• GameCom

June 11, 2015 at 10:18 am

So sad to see the news this morning, he will always be a big inspiration, someone who truly lived his life to the fullest.

• Rick

June 11, 2015 at 10:32 am

I woke up to this news 🙁 He will be missed…

• Shannon Gold

June 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

Sadly, my experience with Christopher Lee was the Lord of the Tings/ The Hobbit trilogy, Star Wars, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. From those I know he was a gifted, diverse, and talented. If gave whatever role he had 100%. I’ll miss him. He’ll always be Sauromon to me.

• T T

June 11, 2015 at 11:27 am

As soon as I read this, I came straight here because of all of the monster madness episodes with him. It would have been great to meet him.

• June 11, 2015 at 11:31 am

This was awful news to wake up to. I remember he scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, and now he’s making me sad 10 years later. R.I.P. You will never be forgotten.

• Jared Wignall

June 11, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I’m sad. He was great in everything he did. From Dracula to Star Wars, he was someone that had a lot of diversity. He will never be forgotten. RIP Mr. Lee.

• June 11, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I just found out a few minutes ago.. totally sucks. At least he lived a long life and did what he wanted which was acting… and he did that pretty well if you ask me… rest in peace Mr. Lee

• June 11, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I just woke up today to the news of Christopher Lee passing. I couldn’t think of anywhere more appropriate to post than cinemassacre. Chris Lee lived an amazing life, and worked very hard and kept working til the end, and he was in so many films. Some of my favorite Lee films were: SHE, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, I MONSTER, NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT, THE CREEPING FLESH, The WICKER MAN, and other Hammer films of course. I do want to mention that Lee considered the litte known film JINNAH (1998) to be the best work he has ever done. So check it out, its on youtube. RIP Christopher Lee, have a glass of port with Peter Cushing, and Vincent Price. We will miss you.

• jake westbrook

June 11, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I thought he’d make it to 100. but he still lived a long life and had a very good career.

• JJTwinDragon

June 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Makes me wonder why you’ve never reviewed The Wicker Man for Monster Madness.

• Necramonium

June 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm

For me its a double sad day as Dusty Rhodes, a legend in wrestling also passed away.

• June 11, 2015 at 2:58 pm

One of the rarest actors to never feel like he was typecasted in anything. Or in this case, an achievement. Farewell to Lee. He’ll always remain Hammer’s Prince of Darkness. Need to watch the original Wicker Man (70’s one of course). RIP Lee.

• June 11, 2015 at 3:34 pm

If it weren’t for Cinemassacre, the name Christopher Lee wouldn’t have the meaning it has for me today – and his death would not have the impact it has on me now. Thank you, James. RIP Christopher Lee.

• Crackdookie

June 11, 2015 at 3:38 pm

My wife woke up this morning and read me the news ( I’m not a big “news” guy myself ). She had tears in her eyes.

Christopher Lee, who’s talents spanned Genre after Genre, crossed boundries, and had more iconic roles then I can EVEN THINK OF ( I would have to look it up! ). Sure I can name 50 off the top of my head, but that is a damn drop in the bucket, and as an inspiration to all of us to show just how much we can succeed, no matter what you do, you will be missed.

Tonight, I poor one out for Christopher Lee. Join me.

• Haseo

June 11, 2015 at 3:46 pm

The world is a little less for the loss of this great man. Thank you for the years of entertainment you gave the world

• June 11, 2015 at 3:53 pm

A really great actor with incredible presence on screen…R.I.P

• greedo

June 11, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I was never what you call a “fan” of Christopher Lee… indeed, I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I haven’t seen any of the Hammer Dracula films. (With the exception of two). But I thought that he was a great actor, and I loved his voice. I especially loved his roles in both the Star Wars and LOTR films. Loved that menancing, “You can trust me… muahahaha” tone to his voice. He definitely made his mark on the world of film. He’ll be missed.

P.S. Just found out today that he made a heavy metal album, covering some of his favorite songs. I listened to a sample clip of some of them. It was… interesting! 🙂

• June 11, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Christopher Lee closed the book on Dracula after Bela Lugosi opened it. No one will be able to do it justice like he did. Now They both can wander at night together feeding on the blood of young attractive women. R.I.P Prince of Darkness.

• Alen Žižak

June 11, 2015 at 5:53 pm

He will be missed! I do hope that you’ll do a video where you talk what he meant to you; I believe he had a great impact on you. Off to watch The Wicker Man, again, for the hundredth time.

• Satnav

June 11, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I think it’s pretty impressive that he made a mark to all generations up to now, from Hammer, to Bond, to Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and most recently the Hobbit. Also, he was a legit badass in real life, serving as a black ops British commando in WW2. Quite a life.

• June 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

While I only saw one of his Dracula movies, I was a huge fan of his involvement with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. In addition to the movies, he narrated audiobooks, sang some of the books poems alongside the group The Tolkien Ensemble, and I think even narrated one of the Lego games. Lee has even met Professor Tolkien in person once long ago, and had stated that he made it a point to reread LotR at least once every year. As a huge Tolkien fan myself, I will definitively miss Christopher Lee’s many contributions to the fandom.

• June 11, 2015 at 7:34 pm

You forgot to add Star Wars Part 2 (Episode II: Attack of the Clones). http://cinemassacre.com/2009/03/10/star-wars-movie-review-part-2/

• RocketeerRaccoon

June 11, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I was completely shocked when I heard about his death but on the plus side he lived to be 93 which is actually an incredibly good age to live up to so he certainly had a good long life. He certainly was a legend and he has a massive library of movies spanning decades and was still acting in movies even for his fragile old age.

Rest in peace sweet Prince of Darkness. 🙂

• PancreaticDefect

June 11, 2015 at 8:34 pm

One of my favorite facts about Christopher Lee was that when he was 17 in 1939 he was a witness to the last public execution by guillotine in France. The guillotine saw continued use in private executions until 1977 and wasn’t outlawed until the abolishment of the death penalty in 1981.

• Jimmy Reed

June 11, 2015 at 9:27 pm

RIP

• TheBaron

June 11, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Oh no, such a damn shame. He was freaking awesome and every year he survived made it even better. With him an era and an icon is gone.

He did live an amazing life, so in that way I can just hope that others and myself included will be as fortunate.

• diegowar

June 12, 2015 at 12:20 am

Not only was he a legend, but at 93 he was still working to entertain the world, I can’t think of many people for who I can say that, I have so much respect for the man.

• handsome pete

June 12, 2015 at 12:41 am

But for all of us, the nightmare of a world without Christopher Lee is only just beginning…

• Ben_from_G-town

June 12, 2015 at 2:16 am

Christopher Lee was awesome as Dracula, Saruman, Count Dooku, and many more. RIP. Condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

• June 12, 2015 at 10:59 am

so sad to hear the news… he will be missed… RIP

• ramo10

June 12, 2015 at 12:44 pm

🙁 This is truly sad news to hear, Im a huge Christopher lee fan, seen most of his hammer horror films and ive always had alot of respect for that man, such a shame to hear that he is gone. He is commendable in how long his acting career was, from the late 40’s up until his death 🙁 such an iconic character actor gone.

• jdawg

June 12, 2015 at 4:46 pm

I know Christopher Lee mostly for playing Count Dooku in Star Wars, Saruman in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, Willy Wonka’s father in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the voice of the Jabberwocky in Alice in Wonderland. But it was this website that taught me about his history as a legendary horror actor as Hammer’s Dracula during the ’50s and ’60s opposite Peter Cushing. I was never a really big horror fan but from visiting Cinemassacre I’ve gained an appreciation for the genre and those who shaped its history. So rest in peace, Christopher Lee. You lived a long legendary life of acting and always had a commanding presence in any film you were in.

• June 12, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Did some Great action love those old movies they bring me back to child hood , tho gotta watch with some Alcohol.

• June 12, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Christopher Bee

• Eelco

June 13, 2015 at 1:18 am

This is very sad news, but he was very old.
    I’ll miss his presence on screen and especially his great voice 🙁 But, he’s left us a huge amount of cinematic work to watch over and over again. Although…some of his work may not be a lot of fun to watch 🙂

• June 13, 2015 at 3:00 am

Hey since you guys are big monster movie fans would you consider doing a tribute video for Christopher Lee?

• nickreaper

June 13, 2015 at 11:20 am

I always thought his role as Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the film Jinnah was criminally overlooked by the masses.

• June 13, 2015 at 7:28 pm

With everyone talking about Dracula, Saruman, and Dooku, hardly anyone mentions my favorite villain role he did, Scaramanga from The Man with the Golden Gun. He almost made me wish Bond got beaten there. RIP Christopher Lee

• greedo

June 17, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I was just about to type about this when I saw this! Lucky timing! 🙂 Yes, you’re totally right. I had forgotten about that film. He was excellent. I love the line that he said when Bond asks why he has a gun with only one shot: “I only need one”!

Lol! Classic!

• Don Skiver

June 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Not only was Christopher Lee an amazing actor on film and on stage, he was also a damn good singer! He’s made some metal/opera albums that are pretty damn interesting to listen to! I never figured him as a metal head 😛
    He had such a huge range of talents. You will be missed Christopher Lee. You will be missed.

• Archon The Trespasser

June 15, 2015 at 9:52 am

R.I.P. Dracuman Sarula
    Bad ass beyond his nineties…
    I’ve just watched Horror of Dracula again last night.
    Thank you Sir Lee.

• Jarnor23

June 16, 2015 at 3:21 am

One of those actors that no matter how the film was could put in an awesome performance.

• Archon The Trespasser

June 16, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Maybe if we all convert to a Satanic cult & pray hard enough he’ll rise from the grave? “I keed i keed!”

There better be a biography of this legend available, if not there’s a good idea. If there is one or more, time to come up with a definitive one.

• Otowi

June 17, 2015 at 12:59 pm

R.I.P

I did not know him from Dracula, but rather as Count Dooku from Star Wars. I thought i did an excellent job portraying Dooku.

He will be missed…

• frostare

June 19, 2015 at 1:26 am

For many it was Bela Lugosi, but for me, he was Dracula. His stare and demeanor is unmatchable. We say goodbye to a great man that left an immortal figure.

• June 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I had actually heard about it on facebook since it has this trending feature and I remembered he played as a character in the Lord of the Rings movies and Dracula,which I never would’ve known thanks to you James,it’s sad to see him go,but as you said,in your Dracula AVGN review,he never dies,and with these movies,in a way,he lives on.

• June 25, 2015 at 12:07 am

Hey James, Horror of Dracula (1958) link does´t work..

• July 1, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Christopher Lee starring in The Man With The Golden Harp

• Ryan Swan

September 9, 2015 at 1:47 am

Disappointed to see no mention of Wes Cravens passing a couple weeks ago from James. RIP Mr. Craven. You were a horror legend. RIP Christopher Lee.