THE MAKING OF THE DEADER THE BETTER

Mike Matei / April 14th, 2015

“DIG YOUR OWN GRAVE”: The Making of “The Deader the Better”
The film was made all throughout the year of 2005.
The documentary was made in early 2006.
It was never posted online before. Up until now, it was only a DVD exclusive. The original DVD was only in a limited supply.

Comments

• Zces

April 14, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Good job! love this movie. really fun to watch and inspiring! Big Up Cinemassacre!

• Alen Ε½iΕΎak

April 14, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Inspiring!

• Mark

April 14, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Amazing work! Neat to see your parents James. Papa Rolfe a bit camera shy?

• Don Skiver

April 16, 2015 at 12:08 am

Ever since I saw James’ sister in “Red Zombie” I’ve been dying to know what she looks like now and whether or not she watched your AVGN film and episodes.

• awesome video games

April 16, 2015 at 3:39 am

no. he starts out incognito with the full newspaper, then drops it halfway in middle of video, then shows up in full exposure with no disguise near end of video. he isn’t camera shy. he just opened up to the camera in tidbits.

• HighVoltage

April 14, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Looks like so much fun. James I don’t know how you get time to do all this great stuff, but its appreciated.

• Don Skiver

April 14, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Fascinating behind the scenes look at one of my favorite Cinemassacre original films! I’m really glad I watched this. πŸ™‚

• JayRam

April 14, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I really enjoyed this. And that’s very cool your parents support your filmmaking ambitions. Mine have just been like, yeah, whatever, don’t do anything illegal.

• April 14, 2015 at 10:12 pm

This is James site and yet this vid have no comments but Mike’s vid does plus both vids is release on the day lol.

• Lukas Sprehn

April 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Maybe it’s because Mike’s video is video game related, and most people want that. If that is true, it’s a shame. I’d much rather see a varity, which we do have. But people still keep bothering them about them not making AVGN as frequently. πŸ™ I would love to see more cinematic stuff from James. New short films, new feature films. And definitely a continuation or possible reboot of The Jersey Odysseys. It’s one of my all time favorite things James had produced, and I really hope that he will eventually come back to that series.

• Highwing

April 15, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I thought he was talking about the cartoon video, which isn’t game-related. If that video is more popular, it’s probably because it’s something totally new, while the Deader the Better (and horror in general) is regular stuff for this site (but still always a treat, of course).

• JayRam

April 15, 2015 at 6:37 pm

There’s nothing more I want than to see James make another installment in the Jersey Odysseys series. If he were to crowd-fund that project, I would donate some cash just to see it happen. Regardless, I just want an update, telling us whether he still plans on doing it.

• Satnav

April 26, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I would also love to see James go back to Jersey Odysseys, or at least do a spiritual successor. I love his more comedic and OTT stuff, but I would also like him to try something more serious and dramatic. Variety is the spice for any good filmmaker.

• April 15, 2015 at 2:17 am

I think most of us came to James because of the video games but for some us… it’s only a ++ that he also has a passion for horror. Thank you not only those but just being such a cool, nice, imaginative guy James.

People who love horror are almost always the most peaceful and creative people if you can believe it.

• April 15, 2015 at 3:18 am

Hope to see you go back to making films like this again.

• james daugherty

April 15, 2015 at 3:42 am

u should do a sequel to this!

• Psychojaws

April 15, 2015 at 6:00 am

Wow. We should all be as lucky as James is for having the amazing support, willingness to help, and, undeniably, endless patience of his parents. If there were more folks like that, maybe there wouldn’t be so many damn nutjobs out there today. Just sayin’.

• April 18, 2015 at 3:26 pm

The acting in this is the best acting in the history of cinema

• Jason Voorhees

April 19, 2015 at 9:07 am

• greedo

April 19, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Pretty cool making of vid. It’s one of the best DVD features I’ve seen, and that’s saying something. I was wondering what was going on with your dad, James. When he put the paper over his face, I was thinking, ” How disrespectful. Put the paper down so we can see your face”! Lol. πŸ™‚

Now I can see that it was just played for laughs. I can see where you got your sense of humor from!