Hooking up Multiple Video Game Systems by Mike Matei

Mike Matei / April 6th, 2015

Hooking up Multiple Video Game Systems by Mike Matei

You can also watch this video on YouTube here

Fans having been asking me for quite a while about how I hook up all my game consoles. My setup isn’t the most efficient thing in the world, but it gets the job done. There are probably better switchers out there I could be using, but this is just the way I’ve been doing it. I use mostly basic 4 way RCA splitters that can be bought at local stores like Radio Shack and Target.
I would like to improve the way I have everything hooked up however. So if you have any ideas on how I can improve my gaming setup, please let me know.

Also, I’m aware there are 8 way RCA splitters out there, but really I need one more extreme then that, which is why I haven’t bothered upgrading. I need something that does more like 20 way… What I really need is something that can has more ports for HDMI, Coaxial & RCA all together..

Here’s a list of the systems that are hooked up at my apartment now. And what method I’m using for each.

Nintendo Entertainment system (NES) – RCA (modded)
Famicom – Coaxial (i’d like to get a modded fermium but don’t have one yet)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) – RCA
Nintendo 64 – RCA
Gamecube – RCA
Sega Genesis – RCA
Sega Saturn – RCA
Panasonic 3DO – RCA
Turbo Duo – RCA
Xbox – RCA
Playstation 2 – RCA
Dreamcast – RCA
Sega Master System – RCA
Atari 7800 – RCA (modded)
Atari 5200 – RCA (modded)
Wii U – HDMI
Retron 5 – HDMI
Xbox 360 – HDMI
Playstation 3 – HDMI
Ouya – HDMI

Twitter Mike Matei ► https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei

Comments

• Chauncey1

April 6, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Wow that is A LOT of RCA cables hahaha. I didn’t even know it was possible to have all of those consoles working at once!

• judgen

April 6, 2015 at 9:52 pm

If i were you i would hook up most of the game systems that does not support HDMI to SCART instead of RCA to get the improved quality.

• April 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

And how exactly do I do that

• April 7, 2015 at 6:04 am

Sorry about the off topic question but i would like to ask you guys (James and Mike) what do you do for a living? Since it takes a lot of free time to make videos like these. Are you rich or something? I mean, you must be kind of rich to be able to afford all these games and consoles. Sorry if i got a bit too personal here but its just out of curiosity.

• April 7, 2015 at 10:03 am

Just do it your way

• April 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Mike, I would recommend watching the video series by MyLifeInGaming on Youtube about RGB. They talk about how they get the best video quality out of all their retro consoles. Here is their playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSR1ZDDQRgjg6S9D2YQ4rwnZ

• Zach Standig

April 7, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Dear god…that would drive me bonkers, you must have the patience of a zen master. By the way, how have non-HD games worked so far? I’m kinda paranoid about button lag.

• April 8, 2015 at 6:29 am

@Cain Nuke.. You do visit Cinemassacre and watch the videos, Yes? If so… You’re watching what they do. Cmon’ man..

• david ferrara

April 8, 2015 at 6:58 pm

MOTHERFUCKER MIKE DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO BASHES RGB FUCKIN’ SCART. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00988GMLG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED MOTHERFUCKER. AND SCART CABLES FOR YOUR SPECIFIC SYSTEM WHICH YOU CAN GET ON EBAY RATHER EASY AND CHEAP.

• April 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Do a video about Blue’s Clues

• April 14, 2015 at 9:40 am

I said FOR A LIVING, that means a JOB. Something you do to earn money.

• October 14, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Buy RGB SCART cables for all except for n64 & 3DO. Then buy a SCART to HDMI converter. You may need some SCART splitters, too.

• John Caldes

April 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Better to get an answer late but never. The short answer is you spend a lot of money. There is a really nice 8 port scart switch on retrorgb (Currently sold out) which is a hefty $215. Once you have that you need to get a scart to HDMI converter of your choosing. The XRGB mini is the premium option, but a $40 ebay option has worked for me for now. Now that you have that you would then need to buy scart cables for every system that supports it (Some consoles like north american NTSC snes and N64 require mods to get RGB to be enabled) The guys on my life in gaming have a whole series devoted to this kind of stuff. Pretty interesting. Again, this costs a stupid amount of money to do. RCA works and is cheap. S-video is better and many systems can be modded to use it. For the price, that’s the best option. Sorry for the long winded and extremely late answer.

• Don Skiver

April 6, 2015 at 10:13 pm

SCART would offer superior picture quality, sure, but you can’t exactly walk into a Best Buy (or any other big box retailer) and pick that up in the US.

• H53287la

April 7, 2015 at 5:28 am

SCARTs are a horrible pain in the ass, not worth it just for a really minor picture quality upgrade.

• PhantomReality

April 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Umm, are you blind? rgb is a HUGE improvement. You must be using composite sync and be getting a shitty video quality

• April 6, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I would also highly recommend using SCART instead of all these RCA connections if you want the best quality. http://retrorgb.com has some nice information on this. I don’t have as many consoles hooked up as you, but my setup is a lot simpler than yours. Basically I have all my HDMI consoles, those are easy to connect to my TV and I have all my older consoles. All of the latter are modded to output RGB over SCART which then go into an automatic SCART switch, so I don’t have to do ANY manual switching, of course I can only have one console turned on at a time. The difficult part is to mod all these consoles, but it was well worth the effort. The quality you get from RGB over SCART is amazing, especially compared to RF or RCA. An additional difficulty in the US would be to find a TV that actually has a SCART input, but there might be SCART adapters to other connection types.

• oscuro

April 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Yeah I feel you hooking all the systems up is a pain. I just unhook one and hook up the other. What a shit load of fuck

• April 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm

All things considered, you have almost 3x at many concurrent systems more than me set up at once, yet your wiring seems like less of a nightmare than mine.

Way to go Mike.

IMO I’d keep the Famicom with the other consoles and just sit super close on the odd days where I actually play it.

• Don Skiver

April 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Cool video Mike.

I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any suggestions for a better set up. Your current set up is very cool though. I just hope you have lots of high quality surge protectors and I hope you don’t run all those system at once ever again! 😛

By the way, where’d you get your top loader NES modded? Did you do it yourself? I’ve wanted to get RCA on my top loader for a while now but have been too chicken shit to do it myself out of fear of fucking up my beloved NES.

• Anthony DiCamillo

April 6, 2015 at 10:44 pm

wow, there has got to be a better way to clean up all them wires! I’ll try and think for you….also, for the famacon you ever think about soldering a plug into the console? You could get a male and female plug then extend the wires so you can plug and unplug the controller, as well has have a much longer cable. Additionally, the other system you had trouble with cause the plug was on the left side…..it looked like it was a midi type plug, you could rewire the straight plug into a 90 degree plug and solve that problem.

• Juggernaut

April 8, 2015 at 7:29 am

Why don’t you buy a HDMI switch on eBay Mike? Thats what I use as I ran out of HDMI ports. 4 doesn’t cut it. As for the dreamcast I got myself a VGA box, also from eBay, you get a nice digital 640×480 resolution and you don’t use RCA but the VGA input on the TV.

• April 6, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Cool vid. I thought you also had an Xbox One, is that hooked up somewhere else or am I just mistaken?

• Anthony DiCamillo

April 6, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Oh yea. When are you going to fix the iPhone app?? Is it just me? But all 3 of my IOS devices don’t update video info anymore….or correctly. Ipad4 i5 and i5S…

• frostare

April 6, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Call it a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoy videos like this.

• April 6, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Buddy, you NEED to look into an XRGB mini device. It’s an upscaler designed specifically for older systems that output 240p/480i (so all your retro stuff) and upscales it to 1080p (or 720p with scanlines!).. as someone else said.. check that retrorgb site and look into getting as many consoles as possible to output RGB (scart) or s-video.. signal is night and day compared to RCA/or coax (nothing should need to use coax, it’s so rough especially on a TV like yours).

• April 6, 2015 at 11:16 pm

(outputting RGB usually needs at least an AV cable, sometimes an internal mod (NES, N64).. but the results are fantastic.. youtube rgb nes for examples. You’ll also need a SCART switch. There’s a guy making an 8 way switch that can be daisy chained https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?52513-gscartsw-automatic-8-1-SCART-RGB-switch for multiple consoles (and that XRGB mini mentioned in my last comment takes SCART and outputs properly scaled HDMI).

• Don Skiver

April 6, 2015 at 11:57 pm

See, I don’t think the picture quality is a problem for him. I think he just wants a simpler set up that doesn’t require switching several boxes and shit, not to modify all of his consoles for better looking color and shit.

• April 7, 2015 at 8:25 am

Eh. Why buy a 4k TV then if he doesn’t care about picture quality?

Those consoles would look extra shitty on all those pixels.. The upscaler does wonders even if he doesn’t mod the systems.

Oh Mike, that Retron 5 is a full fledged emulator. It uses legit carts sure.. But it’s running them through emulators.

• lartrak

April 7, 2015 at 12:39 am

I’d suggest upping your switches to 8 ports each.

Then you wouldn’t have to deal with swapping a couple of them in and out.

• FFXER

April 7, 2015 at 1:20 am

Mike honestly, the easiest way to do something like this is to get emulators on a computer and use USB controllers to simulate the system. There are USB controllers for every system that can be purchased on the internet. What you did looks like a real pain in the ass. Emulators exist for nearly every system, especially the older ones. This way switching between systems Just Takes a click of the mouse.

• April 7, 2015 at 3:37 am

Except that I have zero interest in using emulators or playing console games on a computer screen.

• Pumphrey

April 7, 2015 at 2:26 pm

You must have SOME interest in emulators, you have a Retron 5.
        And computers have HDMI output… you can plug your computer into that TV, you don’t have to use a “Computer Screen”…

• FFXER

April 8, 2015 at 12:40 am

Why is that? Emulators are so convenient. They have so many useful tools such as the save state option. You don’t necessarily have to play off a computer screen either. You can play using a regular television screen as well. Like that sick ass plasma. Nice tv mike.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:10 am

Yeah, no. The RetroN 5, even though it uses cartridges, internally relies on Android + custom-modded emulators to run the games, so you have emulators hooked up to your TV. There was a controversy last year over the RetroN 5 using certain emulators whose license didn’t allow them to be integrated into a commercial product…

It’d be the same as if I were to get an ARMiga, it would allow me to read old Amiga disks, dump them into an SD card and play them on a big TV screen, but it’s an emulator running on Android with custom hardware.

And the promised Retrofreak won’t be any different…

• Dan021

April 8, 2015 at 2:44 pm

It’s not just playing the game, it’s playing the game as it was meant to be played. I do have a game collection too and it’s much more fun to go back to the old consoles than to load a ROM on a computer. If you don’t like to buy these old things then yeah using a Rom will be much simpler but then again, you’re not playing Mario Paint unless you have that crappy SNES mouse in your hands 😀

• Dantheman070

April 8, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I think the tools you just described are exactly the reason lots of people detest emulators, too easy and lame to cheat through tough games. Also while I agree that is a very nice tv… no plasma television is or will be 4k resolution ever, that is an lcd my friend 🙂

• MetalHorrorNES

April 7, 2015 at 10:00 am

I find emulation easier myself as well. It’s just too much of a pain in the ass dealing w/ wires/cords getting tangled behind the tv. Not to mention it started becoming too expensive to collect older games and I pretty much ran out of space. I have a two year old, a mortgage, and shit load of other responsibilites so it’s just a hell of a lot easier for me.

• Ghaleon

April 8, 2015 at 12:16 am

Emulation is easier yes, but he already has stuff set up, why not just maintain/update it as needed? That said, there is a certain appeal to playing it on the actual system too. On an emulator, it’s tempting to use savestates even if you don’t intend to cheat or anything, if you opt to NOT use them, it feels like a waste of time sometimes, but on an NES, it’s somehow less annoying. It may not make sense, but that’s just the case.

I imagine it’s one thing if you grew up with the system, and another if it was ‘retro’ when you were born. If you grew up with it, playing the actual thing is like reading a hard book rather than an e-book…ebooks are more convenient and all, but they just don’t compare to laying down in bed or on the beach reading a softcover.

• MrBrrumpkins

April 8, 2015 at 12:33 am

Mike is of a dying breed. This is his hobby and he enjoys it. No shit emulators would be ‘easier’. Can my son and I go to Mike’s Arcade? How much is admission?

• MetalHorrorNES

April 8, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I absolutely agree w/ the appeal of playing the games on their respective actual systems but I don’t mind it through emulation at all. I am 38 years old so yes I grew up on these consoles, i have about 1,000 games between the 15 consoles I own. Space and funds became an issue for me so emulation was a sign of relief. I still enjoy the games regardless of what I’m playing them on. 😉

• Sam Hain

April 7, 2015 at 1:28 am

This was an amazing video. Very informative and very full on showy. I have planed on doing something like this for years and I was very happy with your presentations. Told the true story. Loved it and thank you so much for the examples and show.

• DON

April 7, 2015 at 2:19 am

Mike, this is a serious question:
    How do you make early 3D systems like the N64 or the old PlayStation NOT look like shit on a modern TV screen? I have problems with that.

• April 7, 2015 at 2:44 am

Classic Mike. “This sucks. It didn’t come with what I exactly needed out of the box.” Haha

• H53287la

April 7, 2015 at 5:29 am

Such a nice TV and you don’t have any external speakers? The sound quality must be pretty bad.

• Ghaleon

April 7, 2015 at 5:53 am

Cool Setup, never heard of a retron either, nice thing to learn. I’m sure you’ve heard many times by now but in case you haven’t “Taito” is pronounced ‘Tie’ (as in a bowtie minus the ‘bow’) ‘to’… Don’t believe me? Just look at ninja Gaiden. any time you have an A and then an I for romanji, it has that ‘aye’ sound. an ‘eh’ sound is an ‘e’ or ‘ei’.

• King L.

April 7, 2015 at 6:15 am

Really a lotta bullshit to deal with XD

• April 7, 2015 at 7:23 am

I use one of these scart routers linked below (in europe we use scart a lot), I guess there are similar devices for standard composite.

• April 7, 2015 at 7:31 am

Oh any machine that you can modify to RGB (scart) out is a must the picture quality is far superior. The 2600 can also be modded for composite out which again is a big step up from RF.

• Satnav

April 7, 2015 at 8:24 am

Interesting setup Mike. If you need some space, I’d suggest making use of some backwards compatibility to put away some redundant consoles, like how the Wii can play Gamecube stuff just fine.

• April 7, 2015 at 9:35 am

Yeah. Actually you can use the Wii U for both Wii and GC games, because the Wii U can run GC games natively in Wii mode! And with the GC controller adapter for it, you can even use GC controllers.

• Satnav

April 7, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Mhm. I haven’t used my GC itself for its games for years now after I got a Wii, which is a much more compact console, and I intend to get a Wii U that’ll let me do both.

• The Wicker Man

April 7, 2015 at 10:07 am

Why not drill a small hole in the side of the cubby so you can slot the Turbo Duo power cable through it?
    My setup is somewhat simpler as I put 12 systems in a chest of drawers (also helps keep them dust-free), drilled some holes in the back of the drawers and the chest itself for the power/AV cables and have them all tied up at the back of the TV to switch them when needed (like yourself, labels are a MUST!).

• April 7, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Mike, I have an HDMI switcher you can have. I sent James the component one he is using.

• Kevin Gardner

April 7, 2015 at 1:43 pm

mike i can help with all that but remember the more crap between out of system and input of tv will create lag besides the lag u get from the tv upscaler also u might find this a good read http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

also i can mod that turboduo cable to be right angle and repair damn near anything just hit me up

• lotusclown

April 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm

how the fuck did you get a ps2 to work on an HD tv? i’ve been trying to figure that out for years..

• Stephanie Obernier

April 7, 2015 at 3:37 pm

OMG, Mike. Marry me.

• Joker83

April 7, 2015 at 4:33 pm

This was a really cool video! Excellent set up Mike!!

• Slamraptor

April 7, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Wait, a Genesis controller on an 5200? O_o
    I definitely need to get me one of those. That’s awesome!

• Vince Abbruzzese

April 7, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Great video Mike! But my only question is where did your xbox one go?

• April 7, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

• Vince Abbruzzese

April 7, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I know he doesn’t use it a lot but I don’t think he’d sell it

• April 7, 2015 at 8:25 pm

i have over 100+ console plug in my tv and all work
    for rca splitter i use Composite Audio Video Switcher 16 in 1 like this one

and that work amazing and you can even use this for the old r/f console

• Tim H

April 7, 2015 at 10:08 pm

It’s off topic, but is Mike single? If so, is he looking for a boyfriend?

• Captn Gore

April 7, 2015 at 10:35 pm

My setup looks like that except you have twice as many consoles. I only require 2 RF switches and a VHS to hook everything up.

I just moved to a new place, and I’m scared to go through all of this again. All the wires have been thrown in a big box, all entangled and only half-labeled *cries 🙁

• April 8, 2015 at 2:32 am

Accordions…. Play ’em!

• Ultronator

April 8, 2015 at 9:22 am

If you don’t mind me asking, why no PS4/XBONE?

Also, how does your TV handle upscaling the resolution of the older games? Most modern TVs struggle with this, but it sounds like you’re happy with yours. It would be interesting to see the camera zoomed in on the TV screen.

• jim dove

April 8, 2015 at 9:59 am

using composite instead of RGB scart for all those consoles is a crime!

• April 8, 2015 at 11:28 am

Why not just get an emulator?

• diegowar

April 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm

As much as I have had to resort to emulators in a few cases, as a frequent user of my old consoles and having no such awesome setup, I can really appreciate how pleasant it must be to have this kind of arrangement around the TV.

Each time I want to play another old console I’ve got to get it out of a mess of wires, find the right controller, it’s literally physically exhausting to do so. Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to create such an awesome gamespace, I’ll need more space than my current room though.

Thanks for the video, very informative and entertaining.

• Dan021

April 8, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Mike have you notice any lag when you use a console since the signal is traveling from one box to another one?

• April 8, 2015 at 2:51 pm

for retro gaming you really can’t beat a CRT tv + scart component adapter. I got a 27″ sony trinitron for 50.00 at a thrift store. I use it for all my systems made before 360/ps3 generation. LED flat screens arent very good for retro systems no matter how much money you spend on scalers and such.

• April 8, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Oh boy, predictable “why dont you use emulators?” responses.
    Some people prefer original hardware. Get over it.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Another great video Mike, really enjoyed seeing the setup.

• April 8, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Kinda random, but I actually thought this was one of the cooler videos you guys have released lately. Really enjoyed it.

• April 8, 2015 at 11:51 pm

why having a good phone when you can have an iphone, i really like the poor image quality

• doublesbrian

April 9, 2015 at 8:40 am

Everyone is so caught up on scart and to be completely honest it barely looks better than s-video. Not worth the hassle. At any rate, if you’re just using Composite(Yellow/Red/White) then switch to S-Video instead and you’ll be shocked at the difference.

• stoney_1

April 9, 2015 at 11:28 am

This video was super helpful for me and my set ups. Thanks so much Mike 😀

• Pumphrey

April 9, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I don’t understand the need to have them all hooked up simultaneously… I play Atari VCS, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, GCN… You can easily have 2 or 3 hooked up at a time and if the one you want to play ISN’T hooked up it takes all of 1 minute to unplug one system A/V input and plug in another… most modern game system take roughly 5 minutes to go from having the power turned on to reaching the “Press Start” screen. Plus if you you’re having them all hooked up for the sake of saving that “1 Minute” of hook up time I assume you’re also leaving them plugged into a power outlet at the same time… that’s a lot of kilowatt hours being sucked away…

• jasonjrf

April 9, 2015 at 6:24 pm

For the Turbo Duo take a drill with a whole cutter bit and cut a round hole on the side of your shelf then put the turbo duo in the shelf and have the wire go from the outside of the cabinet through the whole and pug into the duo.

• t v

April 9, 2015 at 7:08 pm

haha and I thought I would have a terrible cable management 😉 greetings from germany 🙂

• t v

April 9, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I wonder is 4k better for sd content as fullhd in general or does it omly depend on ty size?

• April 10, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I could have done without the ‘evidence’ sequence, Mike. We believe you, man. 🙂 You seem to feel the need to make excuses, also for the portable camera. No need for that, it’s all good.
    I used to use something like your radioshak splitter to hook up xbox 360, ps2 and gamecube, so I’m pretty familiar with your cable mess 😛
    What I did was only use the splitter for the red and white cables (the audio ones) and strip off the video part so that would go into the TV directly and my music would go into a stereo system. (because that had nice speakers)
    Do you do anything like that?
    With that I found that the splitter also ‘split the volume’, so if I would hook up just one system the volume would be normal, but if I did multiple then I had to ramp the volume setting up to compensate.
    And weirdly enough, some of the audio inputs didn’t relay the signal well, so it would have static or something… Most of em worked, but I think the analog radio input wouldn’t take it, so I had one less place to plug in. Never learned why though…
    For the coaxial couldn’t you daisy-chain RF switches together? Plug an additional one into the port that was meant for the tv signal? You might have to use an electric signal amplifier. I had one of those to boost my tv-signal, because I was quite far away from the main. It somehow charged all my cables, so everytime I had to change any of them out it would zap my ass 😛
    Nowadays I just plug multiple hdmi cables into my home cinema set and hook that up to the tv.

• Raptormax9585

April 11, 2015 at 1:42 am

I TOTALLY DO THE SAME THING MIKE, NOT WITH THAT MANY SYSTEMS (have like 8 systems hooked up) BUT STILL, AND NO YOUR NOT CRAZY FOR DOING IT LOL

I have only have the one RCA switcher, and a kinda shitty HDMI switcher thats a pain to use but does the job fine. Really wish to have the HDMI switcher that you got, its exactly what I want/need for HD consoles. If I had the same TV stand as yours it would be heaven lol.

One thing I did though, that might help with some of the excess wires, was tapping the thin white surge protectors (two of em) to the edge back of my stand. That way I can sorta have easy access to the plugs.

Other than that, totally gel of how you set up your system.

• Teeka

April 12, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Great video, Mike!

It’s been mentioned in other comments, but I’d like to know your opinion on the image quality when hooking up a PSX/PS2 to a modern HD tv.
    For some games it’s fine, but try and play Silent Hill 1 on a modern tv, it’s pretty much unplayable. All blocky lines and blurry spots, because the new image tech can’t handle the old signal properly. Adjusting the view settings will only make it a tiny bit better.
    There’s some 3rd party upscalers/signal converters out there, but do you use any? If so, are they any good at all?

• PhantomReality

April 14, 2015 at 1:08 am

Mike, watch this video and I guarantee you’ll switch over from composite to RGB, this is a comparison between the two. Remember, this is NOT emulated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZIbin7fZY

• April 14, 2015 at 8:05 am

Mike,
    You said in the video you were looking at other options for hooking more HDMI inputs into you system. I noticed you don’t have or at least didn’t show an external sound system for you TV. Have you looked into getting a receiver for a 5.1 or 7.2 sound system. The receivers on the market take multiple HDMI inputs I’ve seen 8 on some units and send them out though a common HDMI to the TV. You can use a the remote or an app on your phone to switch systems. I just bought an Onkyo TX-NR626 20min ago with 6 HDMI inputs and 4 RCA inputs for only $300 off Amazon. Well hope this helps man. Thank you and James for the hours of entertainment.

• pj0T

April 14, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Really amazing setup Mike!

• April 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm

What’s the model # on that Samsung thing?!
    The internet wants to know!!!

• Kent Gissing

April 24, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Interesting setup with the famicom. I can relate cause there wasn’t enough room in my TV-bench for my retro-systems, so I put them in the space underneath my coffee-table and whenever I wanna play, the wires have to go over the floor. ^^ As for the Retron 5, I like the idea, especially for logistical reasons, though I’m holding off until they release (hopefully) a Retron 6 that includes N64-support.

• David Ortega

May 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Awesome video Mike, always interesting to see how many friction consoles and accessories you have! I think you might have a smudge on the lens of your phone camera, that happens to me all the time! I’d suggest just wipe it with your shirt real quick before you start recording it should clear up the video for you much more!

• May 23, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Mike, greetings form argentina, love your (and james) videos, also have problems to connect my stuff, I see a bandoneon there, do you play? I hope see a video of you playing some day, hope you like it!!!!

• July 7, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Haha, I’m not surprised you have a My Pet Monster. Awesome!

• August 11, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I don’t get why some of you bash emulators just because they have save states. It’s not like you are forced to use them, they are there just for your convenience. If you’re a hardcore gamer looking for a challenge, then simply ignore them and play the game as it is. But if you’re a casual gamer who doesn’t want to get pissed off, then you can use them to your heart’s desire. To sum it up, I find it really silly that some people criticize emulators just because of optional save states that you are never forced to use and can easily ignore. One last thing, there’s thousands of games out there with cheat codes that can make the game way easier, but people never complain about those, so why are save states so frowned upon? Just a little food for thought.

• January 16, 2016 at 12:07 am

Listen man, it’s simple. These guys have mentioned over and over again, they’re looking for authenticity, they like the hard copy of the games, and they prefer the set lives and continues originally programmed in. Emulators bend those rules and break the true nature of the games. See, save states void any and all tension that come with the more difficult points in the game, and then any jerk-off can say they beat the game with the rest of us, risk-free. Where as before, would they even have kept trying if they had to keep restarting from further back, the beginning of the stage, or even the beginning of the game. What about, losing alot of lives to a boss and having to continue on like that. But now, you could just learn a pattern do it again without losing a life or even flawlessly. See, it would “normally” take multiple attempts and many run-throughs to even be considered that good. Not to mention, it completely voids the need for the original password systems, it’s hard to overlook them (save states) if you’re playing it at the time. Emulators cheat by not having to buy the system or the game at all, sure little really, no one freaks out if that’s the only way you get a chance to play it, just in ‘how’ you play it. Whereas a cheat codes can be overlooked, forgotten about, or not even used at all. Hey, stop me if you’ve heard all this before. If you’re a hardcore gamer, you probably still have the original. Getting pissed-off and video games go together much like fried potatoes and salt.

• December 30, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hi mike, as i see you have multiple systems hooked up with composite, some can use s-video or be modded to component (snes), i recently mod my snes to component and love it.

witch mod have your nes?

love your show and james, laugh a lot.

the best joker for me: cesar romero, jack nicholson, mike mattei, Heath Ledger .

Grettings from Argentina

• January 15, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Hey man, I have quite a bit of systems too, so I’d say you have them set up pretty good, if you want to play whatever whenever interchangeably. And with your labelling making for quick reference, easy selection to whatever you want. I keep some\half hooked up and just swap out whatever for whenever I want to play something, much like your Dreamcast/Genesis Demo. One suggestion, I got special tags set up for labelling my wires but I never use them anyway, I’ve done it so much I’ve just memorized them. If I was going for a larger set up, I was thinking of doing something quite similar to what you have done anyway, so I’d say you’re on the right track. But, what else could you ask for… You’re lucky at all you found a co-axial with that many HDMI hook-ups on it. It’s funny I was thinking of how much power it would all be drawing as well, I’m more surprised you didn’t blow your breaker panel. So, unless you want to simplify your set-up and keep less hooked up, that’s probably the best way to do it. Have you ever considered just trying to hook-up everything through a digital receiver, it’s a great way for 1-button interchangeability, but it might be tough because mine only has 4 HDMI slots as is. Good Luck, if you do find a way to make it easier let us know (Y)

• Corie Pimentel

July 22, 2016 at 1:26 am

Can I come over an play some games with you? Ill bring beer an pizza. lol Its hard to make video game friends as an adult. hahahaha