Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

Mike Matei / March 9th, 2015

Another Friday the 13th is sneaking up on us, coming in for the kill. Watch the rest of the reviews, this week, leading up until Friday (Jason X).

SEE PAST VIDEOS HERE:

Friday the 13th (1980)

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

AVGN: Friday the 13th

Monster Madness: Friday the 13th (History of Horror)

Top 13 Friday the 13th Moments

Freddy Vs. Jason review

Friday the 13th (2009) review

His Name Was Jason Outtakes

Comments

• Danny Gordon

March 9, 2015 at 4:06 am

Awesome vid. I thought the same thing about the mask pretty cool how they leave the cut

• Salculd

March 9, 2015 at 4:16 am

That IS a pretty nice rug. It really ties the room together.

• Fred Fuchs

March 9, 2015 at 5:12 am

I have the Jason Mask and it also has the axe cut in it. Nice attention to detail by the manufacturers.

• March 9, 2015 at 5:25 am

fourth

• Solitary

March 9, 2015 at 5:41 am

Yeeeaaaaah!

• Nintendomaniac

March 9, 2015 at 6:03 am

The lightning bolt sent the necessary 1.21 gigawatts of electricity needed to resurrect Jason.

• Xen11

March 9, 2015 at 10:19 am

WHAT THE HELL IS A GIGAWATT?!

• Ricardo Aguilar

October 19, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I Know what you did there… good one

• Don Skiver

March 9, 2015 at 6:29 am

Heh. You should use that crowd of kids in a future AVGN episode. Then the Nerd can wonder out loud “where the fuck did these kids come from?”

Fun review. This installment in the series is where it definitely starts to go downhill…WAY downhill. And you’re absolutely right about the formulaic approach.

• virilevocalist

March 9, 2015 at 6:37 am

I had that rug too!

• DON

March 9, 2015 at 7:04 am

Great review, thanks James.
    Part 6 always was my favourite for some reason – I kinda enjoy the self-awareness of it and all the moments of grim and silly humour…it brings some long-needed freshness to the franchise and maybe they should have called that one “The New Blood” and not part 7…

• March 9, 2015 at 7:40 am

It’s a shame you didn’t mention my favorite shot in the movie, at around the 56 minute mark when the girl walks back to the cabin door and you can see jason in the background following her pace. included a screenshot : http://i.imgur.com/eAGBav7.png

It made an impact on me because I thought it was just so creepy looking and especially so dreading.

• March 9, 2015 at 10:05 am

My grandma had that exact same rug too

• stoney_1

March 9, 2015 at 10:13 am

yeeesssss!

• Xen11

March 9, 2015 at 10:23 am

FUN TRIVIA: This movie inspired Kevin Williamson in creating and writing Scream. It has the same serious self-aware comedic tone. 10 years later and Scream lives.

• March 9, 2015 at 11:30 am

This one is my favorie, mainly cuz it was the one Friday movie that i actually owned a copy as a kid, and therefore watched way more then any of the others.

• CrushingC10996WM

March 9, 2015 at 11:43 am

Man Behind the Mask is such an enjoyable song.

• An Heroic Hippo

March 9, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for including so many Joe Bob clips James. Living in Canada, I’ve never had exposure to Monster Vision, so seeing all these is quite hilarious.

• David Fye

March 9, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Can’t wait for tomorrow, my favorite one. Jason vs. Carrie (sort of).

• mistie-man

March 9, 2015 at 4:41 pm

This one was always one of my favorites. I like to watch 4 and 6 back to back, makes for a good double feature skipping part 5.

There are actually 3 Alice Cooper songs in the movie. You forgot Hard Rock Summer.

I ‘ve also been watching the blu ray box set and unfortunately the picture quality on part 6 isn’t too good for blu ray. They also messed up the color timing, it’s too yellow instead of blue. I heard about that listening to the audio commentary on the Crystal Lake Memories documentary. Have you had a chance to watch that yet? Pretty good.

• Joker83

March 9, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Great review! Part 6 is probably my favorite out of the back half of the series (6,7,8,9,10). I like how the series embraces the silly and camp (no pun intended) this time around and just runs with it. Parts 7 and 8 are fun too, but then the series takes a steep drop off with 9 and 10, just my two cents.
    Anyway, I’m a huge F13 fan so thanks so much for these aweseome videos!

• BranaHawk

March 9, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Really enjoying the reviews, James. Been too long since you did this kind of spontaneous stuff. Thanks.

• JayRam

March 9, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Additional comments by Joe Bob are always welcome. Dude somehow sums up exactly what you’re thinking.

• March 9, 2015 at 5:32 pm

as soon as i saw this video i shouted YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moose Of Woe

March 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• March 9, 2015 at 5:40 pm

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 9, 2015 at 6:24 pm

HAHA I just watched this outside at my theater last night along with Phantasm IV, gonna watch Friday The 13th Part 7 tonight an maybe some others

• Jacob Snyder

March 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Part 6 is one of my favorites in the series. When you said it didn’t do anything new with the Jason movies that was kinda wrong. This time the camp was open and there were kids there and the cops showed up while Jason was on a rampage rather than usually showing up the morning after everything goes down.

• gluserty

March 9, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I have to agree with your points; I feel this sequel stands out from the rest because of those additions, along with how self-aware it is. I do agree with James in that more could’ve been done with Tommy here, since i think he’s a bit of a cipher.

• March 9, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Part 6 is my favorite in the series. Very nice review. : )

• AxBunny

March 9, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Holy hell, my parents had that exact same rug too O_o It must’ve been an 80’s thing.

• March 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Yay!

• greedo

March 9, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Me: “Hey kids, do you think this movie sucks”?

Kids: “Yeah”!

• pjsb1

March 9, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Hmmm, this video didn’t show the end of the movie while all the others did and I was hoping the trend of giving a short synopsis of the movie in these videos would continue (though it did until the end, which we didn’t see).

• March 9, 2015 at 9:44 pm

James, I have had countless arguments about Jason always being a zombie. He drowned. He died. IF he had survived, why wouldn’t he go back to the camp where his mother was?

Anyway, the novelizations told us he woke up on the shore of the lake and puked out mud and worms and whatnot. So.. Zombie. Always.

• EmSeeSquared

March 9, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Hey James, did you know Tom McLaughlin, who directed this, was also the guy inside the Jabberwocky costume in the 1985 Alice in Wonderland? 😉

• DrZaius

March 10, 2015 at 1:04 am

Jason Lives was always my favorite of the Friday the 13th movies. I just like how Jason is depicted and his confrontation with Tommy Jarvis was great. Yeah, the movie toned down the whole disturbed element, but I think Tommy is better for it. It always seemed like a stupid idea. Sure, he could be haunted by Jason, but to become so disturbed that he becomes Jason himself? Well, I suppose it kind of works. Maybe Tommy had to resurrect Jason in order to finally conquer his demons. Without a Jason to fight, he may just become Jason himself. Makes me wonder what happens to him after part VI…

• The Wicker Man

March 10, 2015 at 4:21 am

This is easily the most “fun” Friday the 13th movie and was where my love of horror movies began (at the age of four).

• sev666

March 10, 2015 at 9:31 am

One of my favorite entries of the series.

• Vince Abbruzzese

March 10, 2015 at 12:16 pm

“Grabs a metal rod and stabs the FUCK outta Jason like old times” best part of the review hahah

• March 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Ahnold Horshaaak!

• March 10, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Jason…? what kind of name is that? lol

• March 10, 2015 at 9:15 pm

James, youre the man for doing these.

• Chris

March 11, 2015 at 8:47 pm

There was another funny editing gag. There’s a part where Jason throws a knife or something into someones’s head, and then it cuts to a dartboard on a door before it opens. kinda like “bullseye!” hahah I love that cheesy shit.

• Ben_from_G-town

March 11, 2015 at 8:48 pm

“Yeeaaaaah”. 😀 Good ole Jason. Good ole Joe Bob. I always get annoyed when we don’t see the kills fully, especially if it was there before, and was just cut out by censors.

• March 11, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Trival AVGN : there were “3” , not only two Alice cooper songs in part 6 , teenage franekenstein , Hes back AND Hard Rock summer playing in the car Tommy and the girl being chased by the cops scene in the film , as well.

• March 12, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Not sure if someone hasn’t mentioned it yet in the comments, but there was actually 3 Cooper songs. Hard Rock Summer played during the car chase sequence.

• March 13, 2015 at 4:21 am

It always cracked me up that Jason would’ve just stayed dead in that grave if Tommy wouldn’t have gone out there to dig him up and Frankenstein him back to life.

• March 13, 2015 at 8:32 pm

YEAH!

• culwin

March 14, 2015 at 1:34 am

This is the best look for Jason.
    Perfect mask, and the green suit with his tool/knife belt.

• evilromero

March 15, 2015 at 7:05 pm

You didn’t talk about the fact that Tommy somehow comes to the conclusion that the only way to “stop” Jason is to take him to the lake and somehow imprison him there. Maybe I missed it since it’s been a few years, but I always thought that was a very strange when he escapes the jail and says that to the sheriff’s daughter. Was he studying the occult or something?

• caffeineadvocate

March 16, 2015 at 2:30 pm

The triple decapitation is my favorite part. Isn’t it yours? ….. YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!

• Raul Armando Gamez Obregon

April 12, 2015 at 4:10 pm

My favorite is when he just crushes the policeman head with his bare hands, it`s the proof that you DON`T FUCK with Jason… and the back breaker scene… same shit…

• edgie

March 19, 2015 at 11:10 am

You forgot the Alice Cooper song “Hard Rock Summer” that plays during the car chase!

• Joshua Bradley

June 11, 2015 at 1:39 am

Yeah I noticed that too and the guys head goes into that girl’s vagina hahaha classic

• April 2, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Good review!!!!

• Raul Armando Gamez Obregon

April 12, 2015 at 4:25 pm

This is the movie that defined Jason as it is now: an unstoppable killing machine. in part 2 he was just an ordinary, deformed guy who killed anyone that came close to his shack, in part 3 he was hurt and hides in a barn, again, killing anyone that comes close, by part 4 he was just about to be killed and now is pissed off, killing anything that stands in his way back to Crystal lake, in part 6: he`s way too strong, can not die and kills anything he sees…fucking great…

• Joshua Bradley

June 11, 2015 at 1:37 am

Not to be a troll, but you forgot that there was a third song by Alice Cooper in this one, during the chase scene where the guys head goes into the girls vagina they play Hard Rock Summer by him as well.