AVGN Movie Q&A – PAX (Seattle WA, August 30th, 2014)

Mike Matei / September 21st, 2014

Highlights from the screening of Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie (August 29th, 2014), and the Q&A (August 30th, 2014), with Producer Sean Keegan, and the writers/directors Kevin Finn and James Rolfe, at PAX Prime, Seattle WA.

Special thanks to Ryan Schott and Screenwave Media for helping. Also special thanks, for the extra camera angles to:

Michael Levesque

Michael Abi Daoud

YouTube user Dahuman

Comments

• Ace

September 21, 2014 at 10:31 am

Wish I could have been there!

• September 21, 2014 at 10:57 am

No offense but I can’t wait for this movie thing to die down so you can go back to making webshows more frequently. I miss Board James something fierce.

• September 21, 2014 at 3:40 pm

No offense taken. I agree 100%.

Currently, I’m working my brains out on the DVD features. Believe me, I can’t wait for it to all be over.

Monster Madness is a big breath of fresh air, for me.

And yes, I was very disappointed this year when I had to postpone all my plans for Board James, to finish the movie. Expect Board James to come back strong in 2015.

• September 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Music to my ears. Of course, I’m a big supporter of ALL of your stuff, even the movie, so keep up the good work.

• aidan752

September 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm

17:55 James is reviewing the iPhone 6

• Travis McNabb

September 21, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I loved the shit about Robert Palmer, LMAO! Epic!

• taykel

September 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm

That was funny when James yelled at the phone. I love it when he gets mad as himself as much as the Nerd.

• Satnav

September 21, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Actually practical effects are still common in many Hollywood films, more than you think, like the Dark Knight trilogy. I think something like District 9 balances CG and practical well; the CG for the aliens looks really good and still holds up, and they move much more naturally than any costume or animatronic could, but the surroundings are real-life stuff, so they don’t distract. Even in the Star Wars prequels, which people blast for being too CG, you had plenty of costumes and models, mostly in the Phantom Menace, though it’s not like that made an iota of difference to the reception it got. And in the new films, they’ve got a full-scale Falcon model.

I agree that some films go too overboard, but it’s not quite as universal as James thinks, but even a very heavy-CG film can turn out awesome, like Gravity.

• September 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Movie acting 2/10 stiff as a fucking board made out of diamond. james cant act to save his life
    effects 9/10 very fun to see
    comedy 1/10 third grade level and lower/nearly non-existent/awkward/forced
    story 2/10 second grade level
    script 2/10 first grade level writing
    “eetee” review at the end and avgn videos over the years, priceless! if anything should be buried in the desert and forgotten it is this movie but at least my ten bucks is a small token of my gratitude for the website.

also, elvis = gay

• September 21, 2014 at 11:45 pm

It’s nice to see trolling is alive and well on the internet.

• September 22, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Not trolling, I’m being dead honest fuck head.

• colt

September 23, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Soccer,

Seems like most here can’t take constructive criticism!

Thanks for you honest opinion on the movie!

• tabu

September 24, 2014 at 9:59 am

I agree with soccer, i like a lot avgn series, but doesent that mean im a blind fanboy.

• Tyler Howard

September 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I skimmed through so I may have missed his brief appearance, but why did you cut out Luigi? He was great, and definitely a tough act to follow

• September 21, 2014 at 10:48 pm

A lot of people don’t realize that even movies that use heavy CGI also use a lot of practical effects. For example, The Phantom Menace used many more practical effects than people give it credit for.

As far as longevity, some movies age better than others, like Jurassic Park or Forrest Gump. The bottom line is, there has to be a reason for CGI, and most films use it as a means to and end, or a cheaper alternative.

• Willson fire

September 22, 2014 at 6:42 am

James, Mike and everybody who want or are making videos you should try SONY VEGAS PRO with New Blue FX plugins, it’s awesome ! hundreds of great tools, quite easly to learn, more than Adobe Premiere and also a big update is available every year. Go http://www.newbluefx.com/products to have great software plugins for your editing software, they got special effects visuals, transitions, titling, color correction… softwares , it’s available also for FINAL CUT, check it out !!!

• September 23, 2014 at 11:48 am

As a person who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s with practical effects in movies. Here’s my take on CG and why it bothers me. A CG artist can create anything, whether it looks real or not, CG makes anything possible in movies. When the process of creating a CG effect begins. The CG artists working on the CG effect, don’t ask themselves whether it can be done. They know it can be done. The only question is, how are they gonna tackle the CG effect? What approach are they gonna take on CG effect scene.
    In the days of practical effects a special effects artist didn’t even know if he could create the effect. I think it’s that aspect of practical effects that brought out the best in these practical effects artist. It fuels their creative juices. It makes them work that much harder.

Haven’t you ever noticed that the CG T-REX in Jurassic Park still holds up. It’s at times slow and lumbering animal in the rain at night. The audience gets to take it all in and the thing had weight distribution for godsakes! This CG effect looks that way for the same reason as I mentioned earlier about practical effects. It’s that unknown of whether you can do it or not that brings out the best in an artist. They were entering new territory. It was ambitious!

CG started as a new and exciting frontier for special effects, but over the years it’s lost it’s way. I’m not saying today’s CG isn’t hard work, but for many CG studios. It’s become like a well oiled machine that’s always there to make anything possible and many studios abuse that power. There’s a lack of movie magic when it comes to CG. At least for many in my generation. I’m sure for little kids today CG is movie magic, but when I was growing up, kids and adults alike had no idea how many of the practical effects in movies were even created. We sort of had an idea, but almost every new movie had that moment of – WOW! How did they do that? Today that’s practically nonexistent. We just look at it and say, oh it’s just CG again. Bg deal.

• Satnav

September 24, 2014 at 11:27 am

You’d be surprised what effects aren’t CG these days. You remember that truck flipping scene in the Dark Knight? They actually flipped that truck for real. Pretty awesome.

• October 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm

That’s awesome. I hope we see more practical effects in modern movies.

• September 29, 2014 at 12:37 am

The movie is such a mixed bag. Half is great, and half is awful. Who the hell thought Cooper was a good idea?