NES Games I played when they were NEW

James / September 13th, 2014

In the AVGN series, I often bring up past memories of video games I’ve played as a kid. Usually NES. I was curious, so I’ve made a list, as accurate as possible to my memory, of all the NES games I played while they were current. Most of the games I owned were from birthdays and Christmases, over the span of 7 years (roughly 1988-1995).

OWNED

Kung Fu October 1985 Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda July 1987 Nintendo
Metroid August 1987 Nintendo
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! October 1987 Nintendo
Super C April 1990 Konami

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt November 1988 Nintendo
Super Mario Bros. 2 October 1988 Nintendo (“Doki Doki Panic” in Japan)
Super Mario Bros. 3 February 1990 Nintendo

Mega Man 2 June 1989 Capcom Rockman 2 in Japan
Mega Man 3 November 1990 Capcom Rockman 3 In Japan
Metal Gear June 1988 Konami
Milon’s Secret Castle September 1988 Hudson Soft
A Nightmare on Elm Street October 1990 LJN
Ninja Gaiden March 1989 Tecmo Ninja Ryuukenden in Japan
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos May 1990 Tecmo Ninja Ryuukenden 2 in Japan
P.O.W.: Prisoners of War September 1989 SNK

T&C Surf Designs (video game) February 1988 LJN
Where’s Waldo? September 1991 THQ
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? September 1989 LJN
Wizards & Warriors December 1987 Acclaim
Xenophobe December 1988 Sunsoft
Yoshi June 1992 Nintendo Released as Mario and Yoshi in Europe
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link December 1988 Nintendo The Legend of Zelda 2: Rinku no Bouken in Japan

Comments

• Rick

September 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hm. Neat

• September 14, 2014 at 1:51 am

lame comment first commenter

• Weldin Dunn

September 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Well at least he didn’t say first dilhole.

• Kevin Jarrell

September 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I remember back in the day, renting games every weekend and trading games with friends for a week or so. It’s all a blur as to which games I actually owned and which ones I rented/borrowed, for the most part anyways. There were some I played so frequently that I remember owning. And there are a very select few that I STILL have! Legend of Zelda for example. Found that fucker last year and it still had a saved game on it from like 1993! I can’t believe the battery inside the cartridge was still working!

• September 18, 2014 at 7:40 am

I still have my original Dragon Warrior cart – my mom picked up an old NES from a yard sale last year for my kids to play with – I threw in DW and voila – saved game right where I left it – max lvl with max xp (65536 i believe – all the mem it can handle lol)
      Those batteries are old badasses!

• Glorious Gerbil

September 18, 2014 at 10:45 am

I have experienced the same with zelda II when my brother one day suddenly sat down with it and found saved games from when we were children. It was quite a fascinating little find it brought back so many memories with my brother they actually felt a bit dear to me. And yes it must be quality batteries in them.

• Sniffie

September 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Hey James, did you or anyone else notice back in the day that there was no gold at the end of the LJN rainbow?

• AbareKiller

September 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Great list! If I made my own list, there would be a lot of overlap. Surprised you didn’t own Zelda II and that there have been no videos on Robocop.

• Weldin Dunn

September 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I agree, I hate Robocop on NES.

• Don Skiver

September 18, 2014 at 6:41 am

Ohhh shit… I would *love* to see a Robocop AVGN video.
      While the original arcade game was alright, the NES port of said arcade game was extremely butchered and subsequently suffered.

• Sam Wood

September 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Hey James, I know this is off topic, but is there any news for Monster Madness 2014?

• Satnav

September 13, 2014 at 6:36 pm

He mentioned somewhere that he’s been working on it…

• Lukas Sprehn

September 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

A promo is likely coming out at the end of Septemer like usual.

• Lodmot

September 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm

You know what’s funny? Games that I used to play back in the 90’s still feel new and fresh today. The Sonic games, Twisted Metal, the original Wipeout for PlayStation 1, Mario Kart 64, etc. Anyone else have the same sort of feelings toward old games?

• culwin

September 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I never owned any NES games as a kid, except the one that came with the system. I would only ever rent them, and there were a few times my parents made me bring the game back and I had to pray that my save game would remain until next time I rented it (I think Legend of Zelda was that way)

• September 13, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Man I don’t think I could make a list like that. I got my NES in 85-86 when it came out and while I didn’t own a lot of games the local video store would let you rent games for 1.50 for the weekend. So a different game per week for roughly 10 years. Dear god I played over 500 NES games on average.

• September 13, 2014 at 10:38 pm

So you’re saying we have a lot more ‘Memories’ videos to look forward to? I love those.

• tabu

September 14, 2014 at 4:47 am

In my country original NES’s were really rare, when i was a kid i saw it only once and it was imported one. But clones of NES were really popular back then, i had my first one when i was about 6 years old.
    There was a ton of games on the markets, but most of them were XXin1 or cartridges like one from Nerd Room Tour (duck on the pagoda:), so buying games was a true lottery.
    I played a lot in first Contra, but i didnt know about Super C. The same with Mario sequels, and most of the kids didnt knew about games like Legend of Zelda, Metroid or Castlevania. We played mostly in Nintendo games (Balloon Fight, Pinball, Tetris, Dr. Mario etc.), with few exceptions. Ahh, good old times.

• Weldin Dunn

September 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Cool.

• Warrax

September 14, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I only owned 3 NES games total, SMB3, Chip and Dale and Super C…I was looking for Contra at the time when Super C was released but I couldn’t find it anywhere, I was too late in the NES life span so I got Super C instead. Soon after I was a pro at Super C and could do the game without dying once. A couple of years later sold my NES + the 3 games for a SNES without games 🙂

It was all rental for me, I rented one game (sometimes 2) a week until the end of the SNES era. I remember renting Contra 3 for the first time (my first SNES rental) and I was VERY impressed by the visual and sound/music.

• September 14, 2014 at 8:26 pm

LJN can hold my nutsack

• Nick Keller

September 15, 2014 at 6:56 am

This made me want to post a list of the NES and SNES games i owned and rented. I didnt start renting games until i got a SNES.

NES games I owned:

Jurassic Park 2
    Outlander
    Revolution X
    Suzuka 8 Hours

• Nintendomaniac

September 15, 2014 at 8:26 am

Ouch…you owned Ghostbusters and Karate Kid on the NES when you were young, James? That would suck to get a bad game for your birthday…one of only two times a year you got a new game, wasted on a turd.

• tabu

September 15, 2014 at 9:01 am

There is 27 games on his list, not 14.

• tabu

September 15, 2014 at 9:03 am

Which means 2 games per birthday/christmas. Maybe he got Ghostsbusters with SMB3 and Karate Kid with Metroid 😉

• tabu

September 15, 2014 at 9:08 am

Of course except last christmas when, im guessing, James was naughty all year i he got only one game.

• Nintendomaniac

September 16, 2014 at 1:45 am

Well he said those were all the NES games he owned by 1995. You have to remember that by 1994 and 1995…video rental stores were really trying to get rid of all their NES games, and you could pick them up for $5.00 or $10.00 a piece. By that point, James was probably getting NES games on more occasions than just birthdays and Christmases. Back in 1989 or 1990 though…it was probably just one NES game per birthday or Christmas.

• tabu

September 16, 2014 at 7:14 am

You are probably right, but i couldnt remember that because i dont live in the US.
        Anyway, his collection was fairly big for a young kid, i never had so many games at the same time 🙂

• sanchokobe

September 15, 2014 at 9:46 am

I remember my very first trip to the Toys-R-Us to get my first NES game besides Mario/Duck Hunt (as well as the previous trip to get the NES in the first place). I saw the gold cartridges of the two Zelda games, but I could only choose one. I hadn’t played or even heard of Zelda before, so I chose Zelda II. It has to be the better one because it’s newer, right? Worst decision I’ve ever made. Luckily I was able to find a gold Zelda 1 cart being sold (with the original box and manual in perfect condition!) by a Blockbuster several years later. I bought it for five bucks.

• Mike Hann

September 16, 2014 at 12:09 am

How do you remember all that shit?!

• Mike Hann

September 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

The one and only NES cart I bought new in-box was “Mega Man 6” and that was $5.99 closeout at Toys R Us back in ’95/’96….The rest were all Thrift store loose carts after the fact.

• DEATH

September 16, 2014 at 2:23 am

Sweet. Hey James you should do one for SNES list. I think it be really cool if you played Fire Emblem on NES. You probably would enjoy it.

• diegowar

September 16, 2014 at 10:53 am

You’ve played more NES Games when they were new than I’ve played total. Impressive.

• September 16, 2014 at 10:59 am

While they weren’t new when I had them the games I owned were. The Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt combination Cartridge, Tetris, Double Dragon II, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3 and Tetris. The ones I either rented, borrowed or played at a friends house were usually Punch Out.

• HaveYouPlayedAtariToday

September 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm

you rented alot of bad games, I can count at least 20 AVGN episodes in their.

• covert

September 21, 2014 at 11:14 am

And not a single sports game to be seen. Punch-out doesn’t count, it was a fighting game, not a boxing game. Shame.

• Whiskey Clone

November 7, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Golf is most definitely a sports game.

• skwij

September 24, 2014 at 6:06 am

Neat list! I can definitely see a correlation between this list and the Nerd videos!

• thegrappler