AVGN Movie Q&A – New York City (Aug 8, 2014)

Mike Matei / September 4th, 2014

See the movie at Vimeo.com/OnDemand/Avgn

Intro and Q&A session from the Angry Video Game Nerd Movie screening at the Symphony Space, New York City. August 8th, 2014, with Kevin Finn and James Rolfe, the writers and directors. (Edited between the two back-to-back screenings)

Comments

• September 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm

eat shit and die

• King Kung Fu

September 9, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Look at me, everybody! I’m third!

If posts on this were metals at the olympics, I’d be a MF bronze!

• Shannon Gold

September 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm

This was so much fun! I had a blast at the NYC screening… great job guys!!!

• Rick

September 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm

10:30 There I am! 😀 It’s CINEMASSACREEEEEEESSS MONSTEEERRRRRRRRR MADNESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

• Rick

September 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Can’t…fucking…wait…best time of the year.

• September 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

really loved this movie, great combination of screwball comedy and amazing practical effects, full written review here: http://fronttowardsgamer.com/2014/09/03/angry-video-game-nerd-the-movie-review-moviescomics/

• punkbikerdude

September 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

FIRST! boomshakalakalakalakalaka FIRST!

• Satnav

September 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Saw the movie, it was great!

I would have a question–who would win in robot combat, Super Mecha Death Christ, or Death Mwauthzyx? And should James make something about that? 😉

• yoshix003

September 4, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Just watched the movie, its very campy in a good way.. Can’t really complained due to budget constraints and time etc.. It would have been awesome if you threw in an actual review of a game in there. Its hard to act and give you props on having a natural acting without been a robot. Maybe a sequel let it become the T2 of your movie.

• September 5, 2014 at 12:27 am

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! If you are still reading this and do not want spoilers then why are you still reading this? LEAVE NOW!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!
      There is a review at the end of the movie, during the credits he reviews Eee Tee while the credits roll. I do not like to post spoilers but it was needed here I think.

• assjack

September 5, 2014 at 7:44 am

FIRST! OMG GUYS! I’M THE FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• September 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm

AVGN rules and I was glad to pay $10 for the movie. The entertainment I have gotten over the years from cinemassacre for free is worth more than that, but the movie was horrible. Sorry James but it is really, really bad. Not so bad it’s good, just incredibly bad.

• LindyBum1147

September 5, 2014 at 4:44 pm

This Q&A was great. Great questions. I wish there as more.

• September 5, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I think all of us who grew up with physical special effects are numb to CGI too, James. I know that I am. I’m really happy that you didn’t use CGI where it wasn’t needed. CGI should only be used to cover up mistakes in filming, like seeing wires or mics, or used where it would be completely impossible to attempt with physical effects. Again, great movie. Can’t wait to get it on DVD/Blue-Ray. Oh, and I think you should do a special edition on VHS too, just for us old fogies out there who grew up with that kind of thing. 🙂

• Paul Sendell

September 6, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Good film overall, but the Nerd featuring other random characters just did not feel right to me.
    I don’t actually know fully what to think about this movie yet, maybe it’s a grower, all I can say for 100% certain is that bloody McButters character was FUCKING AWFUL. Glad she died.

• Paul Sendell

September 6, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I mean, why was the character played by Jeremy Suarez Jeremy Suarez not played by Mike Matei for example?!
      That’s what I mean by random characters. It just did not fit in to the Nerd world built up in my brain over the last few years.
      As you say in this interview, it is like an ‘alternate universe’ movie where the Nerd actually has friends and shit and isn’t a sad loner who sits indoors all day with no human contact whatsoever, which is the feeling i get from the web episodes.
      But who knows, it’s just my opinion.

• Satnav

September 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

The Nerd character has no idea who Mike Matei is, that was made clear a while back. 😉

Plus even the Nerd would have to pay his bills somehow working somewhere…

• FinallyGAF

September 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I think this movie is a grower, since there are a lot of small details and cameos.
        Apart from that, I really feel bad to agree with Paul Sendell here. I mean the huge ammount of effort that went into the making can never be grasped or appropriately appreciated. All we see, now is the endproduct on the far far far far far side of where this thing originally began.
        …that said.. the supporting characters… I mean I think you decided early on, that Mike might not be up for the acting challenge (though I always thought he made decent characters in the nerd episodes – The Joker, the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Lion, Bugs Bunny…)
        But it was kinda like Turtles 2: instead of Beebob and Rocksteady, we got Turtle and Wolf (or Tokka and Razhar) and why would we want to have these, if there are decent characters, at least in the expanded Nerdverse.

• Doomgaz

September 8, 2014 at 12:09 am

Grats James ! Glad to see the movie is out. I will get it on Dvd for sure !

• S3ntinel2001

September 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Went to this screening with my brother and niece and had such a blast! James was cool enough to give my niece an autograph when she went up to him with Kevin Finn.