AVGN VFX Status 5-26-2014

James / May 26th, 2014

Yeaaah!

Status-18-WEB

Before anyone says “One shot left”, I need to clarify. These scraps of paper represented sequences, not shots. That last paper accounts for 55 shots, 20 of them have been done. For that reason, this is my last VFX update. I’m not going to bother to keep posting the same image of the bulletin board, until that one is gone.

Lesson learned: Unless you have an Iron Man budget, don’t have over 900 VFX shots. It’s a nightmare.

Anyway, we’re moving on. The full picture is locked, meaning there will be no more edits to the movie that will affect timing. Sound and music are now underway!

Meanwhile, I’m working on editing DVD extras which could take several months.

We are also in the process of booking theaters to screen the movie. I am very anxious to announce the premiere date/location, but we need to get everything set and confirmed first. It won’t be too much longer, before I have an epic update. Theatrical screenings will begin happening this summer. DVD/Blu-ray/Online release will happen by the end of the year, just like I said in my Inside Look video.

New AVGN episode coming to celebrate the 10 year Anniversary of the Nerd.

Enjoy your kick-off to the summer, and give your Memorial Day remembrance.

Comments

• May 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Just fucking AWESOME, man! 😀

• Shaun

May 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Congrats! Can’t wait to see it! 😀

• RocketeerRaccoon

May 26, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Yay, awesome. 😀

• Glorious Gerbil

May 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Fine fudge man!
    So will there be any boobs in the movie?

• culwin

May 26, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Mike Matei is not yet confirmed

just kidding

• windrammingroadkillskunk

May 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm

FUCK YEAH! It’s so close now.

• Lukas Sprehn

May 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I am excited to see the movie. I will definitely book a flight to the U.S., so that I can personally be at the premiere, and meet you James, shake your hand, tell you how much I appreciate what you have done, and what you do, and tell you how much of an honor it was working on the movie, helping out as much as I did. And I really feel like I’ve acomplished something with this project. And it’s mostly because of you, and not just because you gave the fans a chance of becoming a part of this project, aside from donating to the IndieGoGo campaign, but mostly because you’ve inspired me so much since the first time I started to watch your AVGN webshow back in the simple beginnings of YouTube and low quality video streaming. Again, thank you. And expect me to be at the big event. And if I can’t be there, for whatever reason, I will try everything I can to make a premiere in Denmark happen. Perhaps for the Copenhagen Pix film festival in our capitol Copenhagen 🙂 If that ever happens, I hope that you will be there to present your movie.

Also, congratulations on the ten years man! It’s been ten amazing years. And here’s to ten more, or even twenty!

Stay creative,
    Best wishes,
    – Lukas S.

• Kushdc

May 26, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Idol worshipping is a sin you fucking dipshit

• May 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

So is judging… derp.

Revised edition should include being a douchebag. We could add a picture of you beside it.

• luke highland

May 28, 2014 at 12:50 am

Even if that was “idol worshipping” nobody cares what you say idiot… Go tell your church full of your child molester buddies about it…

• Conner Garcia

May 28, 2014 at 1:23 am

God isn’t real, you fucking dipshit.

• Lukas Sprehn

May 29, 2014 at 9:17 pm

These people telling me that I have some obsession with James or Cinemassacre of the AVGN webshow really need re-evaluate some things in their lives, in my honest opinion. I congratulated him on his sucess. I talked about how he had inspired me and many others to make art. And yes, I am a passionate fan. But it’s not like I have anything better to do than hang around the website 24/7, refreshing, waiting for new videos to be posted. I do actually have a life. Like, what are these people’s deal? Please, learn not to be rude and come back. Or just stay on topic!

• Karanastic

May 28, 2014 at 2:42 am

This guy gives off a serial killer/stalker vibe. James doesn’t owe you anything.

• Lukas Sprehn

May 28, 2014 at 6:05 am

@Karnastic Who? Me? What? How? For thanking him for doing videos that entertain many people, and inspire me, as well as many others, to follow our dreams and make art? Or for saying that I’d try to be at the big premiere to thank him myself? How is that giving off a serial killer/stalker vibe? Or are you talking to Kushdc? If you are talking to me, what you are saying is really shocking to me, and it actually kind of hurts. Also, if you are referring to me, I’d like to ask you when I asked James for anything? I never demanded anything of him. I did say that I hope he will come to Denmark if the movie ever premiered here, but that’s about it. And that is not demanding anything.

• Lukas Sprehn

May 28, 2014 at 6:11 am

P.S. Or are you possibly referring to another commenter but forgot to click on the “Reply” button? In that case, I apologize if my comment seems rude or offensive.

• Joe B.

May 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Wow! All he has left is the ending effects and he’s all done. Must be one spectacular sequence.

• culwin

May 26, 2014 at 1:15 pm

AWESOME

• thefro

May 26, 2014 at 1:16 pm

This will depend on whether you have a distributor lined up or not, but I think Tugg would be a good option so that fans can book their own screenings of the film if not. I saw another indie film I follow on twitter promoting screenings in about 50 cities using it.

• Lukas Sprehn

May 26, 2014 at 1:32 pm

That’s an exceptionial idea. Lloyd Kaufman’s company Troma Entertainment, or Kevin Smith’s Smodcast Pictures might be an option for distribution too though 🙂 Or James could start his own distribution departement of Cinemassacre Productions.

• gariss90

May 29, 2014 at 1:26 am

Great idea, maybe James can use you to help him out since you seem obsessed with him. Get a grip buddy

• OMA

June 3, 2014 at 2:37 am

@Gariss90: Why do you people have to be so mean to other commenters? He just posted a couple of messages thanking James and commenting about the movie. That’s hardly being obsessed. Also, he actually worked on the movie, which is probably more than can be said for all of you, and would also explain his interest in actually being in the Premiere and having the movie shown in as many cinemas as possible.

• russiancthulhu

May 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Europe tour, please!

• May 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Holy shit this is fucking exciting.

• May 26, 2014 at 3:37 pm

You’ve got to screen this somewhere in England. Pip pip cup of jolly dee mate mate mate.

• May 26, 2014 at 4:15 pm

One shot left!

lol

• greedo

May 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

While I’m disappointed that that one shot is actually 20, I’m pleased to see that your film is finally taking shape. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

• greedo

May 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Pardon, 35. Misread your post!

• May 26, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Hey james show the movie in Toledo Ohio I live in Toledo Ohio I been looking forward to this movie for years now if please I would love to see it

• Jimmy Reed

May 26, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I hope the DVD/Blu-Ray extra will include an audio commentary or a video commentary with him & Mike. Maybe James will mention his POV during the epic beach ball story.

• CrushingC10996WM

May 26, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Way to go James!

• May 26, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Not to be “that guy” but I hope you can try to book The Little Theatre in Rochester, NY. They’re basically the independent film theater here. I’m sure a LOT of college students around here would love to see it. I go to a college of “nerds” and I’m sure a TON of them have grown up watching your videos, and some of them should be around in the summer, and definitely in the fall if that’s the case.

Otherwise, if you’re premiering it near PA, I’d be glad to drive there to see it.

By the way, we’re pretty much THE nerdiest school in America lol (they use the word “geek,” but same difference): http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2014/05/congratulations-rit-you-are-ou.html

• Pablo1989

May 26, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Just i expect, well done!
    The good news are bad news….THERE NO BAD NEWS 🙂

• nowaitstop

May 26, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Time to pop the non-alcoholic champagne and PARTY

• Tim Harrod

May 26, 2014 at 9:57 pm

10 years of the Nerd! I didn’t discover the Nerd until 2011, so I count as a late adopter, but I’ll be bragging once the 20th comes around. It feels like more than 3 years in a good way, I guess because you’re so prolific. I’d tell you to just be proud of your achievements and take the occasional break, but 1) then we’d get fewer videos and 2) it feels like you’re happiest when you’re working, so you won’t hear that from me. So I’ll just say thanks, man.

• May 27, 2014 at 2:39 am

I figured as much since some paper seemed too much complicated to be just one shot.
    Usually, i take this from bonus discs of film, directors say that sound and music is one of their favorite parts because even when it’s hard music, and soundmaking in general, is a process that relaxes the mind per se so even when you’re trying something hard you can get stressed but never as much as when directing or doing special effects (of various kinds) so good luck, the most stressful parts are almost over.

• piedude67

May 27, 2014 at 3:49 am

I’m going to buy the shit out of that Blu-ray!! cant wait to see the film James, its been quite the time since you announced that you were making a movie. now its almost here. I wonder if its gonna be on this site? Netflix would be cool too. XD

• May 27, 2014 at 3:51 am

Awesome work, James (and team). Such focus and perseverance. You’re an inspiration to us all!

• moleman124

May 27, 2014 at 4:34 am

I’d be honoured if you used my Gyromite Remix

(totally unclear on the copyright for using an unofficial sheet music for the theme)

• Don Skiver

May 27, 2014 at 6:28 am

FUCK YEAH!! I can’t fucking wait, James! I’m so fucking stoked to see this film. I remember back when you initially held the indiegogo fundraiser…I was in a very *very* bad place financially… but I still somehow managed to scrape together $30 to donate (had to give up eating for a week). I wasn’t sure if I was making a smart decision or not at the time…but when I got my autographed picture, I felt pretty good about it….and now that the movie is nearing completion, I’m feeling like I made the right decision.

I’m *really* looking forward to the 10 year anniversary episode!!

• May 27, 2014 at 7:00 am

Pls pls pls tell me u.k releases pls pls pls

• May 27, 2014 at 7:31 am

So It’s confirmed !!!!!

AVGN the Movie is coming in a theater next to your house next week, As james said in this video, the Dvd will be available November the first, pre-order now, and Mc donald is gonna do happy meal promotion from June 1st to august 25. Get your happy angry nerd meal with your cup of nut now. And get ready for the sequel, Rolfe the Muffle, AKA toxic avenger 5 next summer

• Joker83

May 27, 2014 at 7:44 am

I will be buying a Blu ray copy! So awesome. Also, I really hope to attend the screening.

• May 27, 2014 at 8:30 am

Awesome. I want a copy on VHS (if possible in PAL, if not… no problem), one on Betamax and one on BluRay. I don’t have a BluRay player, but it won’t take too long until I find one in the dump.
    Also, if anyone wants a copy on Video 2000, contact me.

• Kjetil håvås

May 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

One left.

• pbboogie

May 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

One place that should be open to an independent film screening: Cine’ in Athens, GA. You’ve got some Southern fans that would love to see the movie on the big screen. It also helps that they serve beer!

• stoney_1

May 27, 2014 at 11:07 am

Dude, you got me PUMPED!! So excited for everything you said!!! Nerd on brother!!

• Jacob Dyer

May 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

right in the corner 🙂

• max kanevsky

May 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I am so happy for you James and that you can you live your dream and become on The Great Film Makers of All time There is only a little bit left You Have Almost done Congrats before Avgn Movie hits The Theaters and Other Media. That inspires me to chase after my Dreams and ambitions of becoming a Film Maker as well I really admire your work and you make me want to make movies as well I cannot wait to see your New Film I know that it’s going to be Extremly Awsome and Epic Wish you all the Best.

• tylerdurden389

May 27, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Theatrical screenings THIS summer? Wow!! I honestly thought the earliest we’d get to see the film would be this holiday season. This is awesome. I know I don’t need to say “Hope you bring the film to NYC” so instead I’ll just say “Can’t wait to see it, and hopefully meet you again and get some pics/autographs to!!”

• Hank Foreman

May 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

A theatrical screening in North Carolina would be awesome! Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Asheville, anywhere!

• Uncle Sporkums

May 27, 2014 at 9:41 pm

COOL! Even though I didn’t get to be a part of this film in some way, I’m thrilled for you! CONGRATS, James!

• May 27, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU CONGRATS!

• Freezepond

May 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Is the movie going to be on Netflix?

• May 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

I second some easy way to watch online.
      Although I’m quite likely to get a “meat space” bluray/dvd just to a) support James and his team and b) have something to show off at home 🙂

• May 27, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I am still hoping there will be tickets on sale for the premiere.

• May 27, 2014 at 11:41 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mannnnnnn this is such great news!! OMG totally made my week!! to finally know it’s going to see the light… AWESOME!

• Conner Garcia

May 28, 2014 at 1:23 am

Awesome! I can’t wait to see this movie James, I’ve been looking forward to it for so long.

• Tross

May 28, 2014 at 1:31 am

Whooo! I’m stoked. I’m also looking forward to the upcoming AVGN episode. I miss those, and wish they happened more often, but I guess the tradeoff is, we have a full motion picture to look forward to. I’m sure you’re super stoked too, James. I can’t imagine the toll this project has taken on your life.

• GuardianAuron

May 28, 2014 at 1:32 am

Sad to see that traveling the country and showing the movie around has been nixed (or appears to be). Can’t say I blame you with the family and all, but man that would have been something special.

Don’t forget us though in Cedar Rapids, Iowa!

• DumbassPunk17

May 28, 2014 at 4:19 am

Will there be screenings in the UK?

• max kanevsky

May 28, 2014 at 7:41 am

Awsome James I am so Happy for you that you are finally making your dreams come true of Becoming A Film Maker I can’t wait to see The Avgn Movie I know that it’s going to be Epic and really cool movie to watch I wish you all the best of luck

• max kanevsky

May 28, 2014 at 8:05 am

Sorry that I wrote the same comment I thought that it didn’t posted the first time that I uploaded it.

• May 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm

You should do a showing at the Plaza Theatre in Atlanta!

• Christopher Sholes

May 28, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I’m glad to see the movie is coming along so nicely. I’m sure it has been such a long and taxing journey for you, but I’m also sure it is very rewarding. I’m glad to have contributed to this movie and I will definitely buy it on Blu-ray day one. Hopefully there is a showing near here, but if not, I’ll be anxiously awaiting the Blu-ray. Thanks for all your hard work to bring something to your fans that they can really enjoy.

• May 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

900 VFX Shots? Are you crazy?

• May 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm

It gave me the chills xD

• May 28, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Yaay! I didn’t realize that each of those papers represented 55 shots, wow! That’s a lot of work! Keep it up James! We are all waiting!!

• Dan O'Neill

May 28, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Come on, premiere the film at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville! I know how much you love that place, James. 😀

• May 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

only one left…. hell yeah…

• frostare

May 28, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Gah, it finally got taken off. I was following the shot at the top left in the last update, the green double one. Oh well it took a whole amount of luck for it to make it this far…. I mean, damn!

• Entrenaturaleza

May 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I will buy the bluray ipso-facto, tough I never buy physical format, all for you James!

• Apparition

May 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Come to Seattle!

• christburner

May 28, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Seriously way to go man, this is huge!

• Sedado77

May 28, 2014 at 10:40 pm

AWESOME!! It’s great that you are so close to making one of your best wishes come true!!! Keep the shit going.
    It’s so nostalgic to see you from your 1st vids till now, and see how much you’ve grown, how much you’ve changed! And that reflects on each one of us that have chosen to try luck in the video game industry, from devs to youtubers that play LP’s. The Fact that people know what a LP is in fact, I personally think, is in (great) part because of you and your AVGN episodes.
    You made internet history. And Internet never forgets!!!
    Kudos.

• May 29, 2014 at 1:25 am

Woold be so awesome if you premiered on the east coast while I was up there during my vacation. I would so drop everything just to see the movie for sure.

• May 29, 2014 at 10:13 am

This is probably a long shot but will there be any screenings in the UK? I know of one place in Liverpool that’s an independent cinema so hopefully it’s possible to look into that.

• ahuang

May 29, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Will/can there be a screening in Seattle?? You have a TON of fans in the NW!! I will be ordering the Blu-ray the instant it is available, I CAN’T WAIT!

• May 29, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Just to make sure that the DVD of this movies is available in all dvd regions can’t wait it to come to united kingdom

• Lukas Sprehn

May 29, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I am pretty sure that it will be released as a region-free DVD, without region lock, just like his regular AVGN DVDs and the new Board James DVD. Unless, of course, he gets a real distributor. They might want to release it on PAL in Europe and NTSC in the U.S. respectively. Troma Entertainment, in case they decide to distribute the movie, will probably be open to region-free DVDs. Though I don’t know if stores would accept region-free DVDs and Blu-Rays. I don’t know how that works…

• GrUnDlEbUsTeR5000

May 30, 2014 at 2:00 am

FUCKIN CANT WAIT!!!!!!

• May 30, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I know it’s a pretty big long shot but is the UK likely to get any cinema screenings?

• May 30, 2014 at 7:07 pm

This isn’t movie related but 700 of the 1,300 copies of E.T. game from the New Mexico land fill they uncovers are being sold at a museum in New Mexico.. just had to pass that onto James

• May 30, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I try not to post on every little update, because with all due respect a think a few people around here like you a little too much, but this is a massive achievement for an independent filmmaker and I just wanted to congratulate you.

I’ll be getting the Blu-ray when it is available. I hope it doesn’t suck! 😉

• matt woerner

May 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Hi James, a lot of us down here in maryland are huge fans of yours, and my friends and I were wondering if the movie would be coming to theaters, specifically our home theater AMC Columbia 14, or if the movie is only going to be in certain areas of the country. I look forward to the movie, and I hope you take the time to answer my question, my email is [email protected]. thanks

• May 31, 2014 at 3:19 am