AVGN Movie update – January 2014 – VFX HALFWAY DONE

James / January 30th, 2014

This was easier to post in a written form, than to prepare notes and record a video, hoping to remember I said everything I wanted to.

The movie has been going very well. We are about halfway through the VFX stage. This is the first time I’ve had some kind of visual estimate, rather than scrolling through a 48 page document. I printed them out. The shots/sequences that are finished are laying on my desk, ready for the garbage can! The shots that are still in progress are up on the bulletin board. Just the fact that they were all able to FIT on the bulletin board means that we’re doing good!

VFX-bulletin-board-1-web

Now let’s watch the shots disappear from the bulletin board as the months go on!

I’ll emphasize once again that this isn’t really a big “effects movie”. It’s mostly shots that you will never notice something has been done, but the shots all need to be done to tell the story.

January has been a great month. Taking a break from web videos, to sit down and focus on the movie full time has been the best thing for me. I’ve been able to get a lot done. Believe me, organizing this stuff, directing people, and keeping this all moving, is a full time thing that requires steady time and 8-12 hour days on a daily basis. My VFX supervisor who has been working closely with me through all this can say the same. Here’s his own update.

“Greetings from the front lines!

I am sure a lot of you are very curious on what’s happening to the movie, where it is, and when will it be done. I would like to take a moment and just first off thank you all for all your support in this project. Without you all, this would not be possible. Second, let’s get into the down and dirty of the post work. In pre-production, we had roughly 300-400 vfx shots and we were actually trying to cut some back. During production, we had to make some executive decisions to make sure we caught up on all the shots we needed to get within our shoot days. When we got to post production… we actually ended up with roughly 942 shots. I need to fact check, but that seems to be more than the first Iron Man. So, as you can imagine, this is a huge undertaking. This is a huge undertaking for production by itself in this day and age. So, this thing is bigger than expected and really, most of the shots, you will not even notice are visual effects shots. Then again, others will have the James trademark vfx stylings.

Our artists are working all they can in their spare time. Each and every one of them has volunteered their time to make these shots happen. In the everyday world, we would have artists working 9-10 hours a day for 5 days a week to get this done. These guys are able to put in about 10 hours a week to make all this happen. This is part of the delay. We had thousands of applicants and unfortunately, some folks we just could not fit into the pipeline and keep it all organized. We have two groups of about 30 simultaneously working on shots. It is hard enough keeping these things organized, much less the 1000 applicants. We kept the artist groups kinda small as well to just keep the information flow as straight as possible as most of these artists are working remotely. And really.. these artists are the stars right now. These guys are making it all happen from this point.

We are about over the 1/2 mark and we have probably about 200 shots that are just awaiting graphic elements on to finish up. I am telling you right now, I have been doing this for some time, and every single day I get a shot in that blows me away. I have always been proud of how James took something he did for fun and was able to pretty much make it into a brand. I am even more proud of the guy for everything he has done to get this movie made. This is really the next evolution of Nerd. It pulls just about every special effect style out of the book and utilizes it (miniatures, rear screen projection, animatronics, rubber suits, CG…etc.) This is the kind of movie that anyone who can remember when you had to rent VCRs will appreciate. This is also the kind of movie that will inspire today’s generation of kids to get back outside and make their own movies.

Anyway, I am really happy how this is turning out and I just wanted to take the time to explain a little bit of what is going on behind the scenes at the moment. This movie is on it’s way… I assure you. We are all excited to unleash it upon the world. Thank you, fans! I also want to thank Mrs. Nerd too.. she has been a bigger trooper through this than most of us.”

-Grover L. Richardson III

So that’s VFX, but now also, I’d like to get some kind of head start on sound design. I’m not sure the best way to approach this yet, especially since not all the effects are in there yet, but we would at least like to get someone to do some preliminary work, to start adding some sound effects to it. If you are a sound designer available to help out, please send an email to help@AVGNmovie.com.

Comments

• Zen

January 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Don’t trash the shots/sequences, put them away for safe keeping. At the very least, you’ll have a physical memento of the film’s production, but moreso likely you can always have them be a part of an auction to help fund new projects.

• Calavera

January 31, 2014 at 6:36 am

Now you’re thinking like James Rolfe!

• Rick

January 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Friggin’ lovely James :) ‘Halfway done’?! You really have been powering through these effects! :D And you’ve still been giving us James and Mike Mondays to tide us over. You’re the best, man. Keep up the great work. You know that none of us can wait to see the final product.

• January 30, 2014 at 1:48 pm

That is just awesome to hear, James. Glad you’re moving forward and getting closer to completion. Nothing more satisfying than nearing completion of a project you love working on. :)

• January 30, 2014 at 3:07 pm

This sounds great! Looking forward to the finished project!

• Shannon Gold

January 30, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Almost at the finish line!

• Joker83

January 30, 2014 at 4:22 pm

You are such an inspiration James. You have my eternal devotion.

• Elias Morén

January 30, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Do a 14 hour behind the scenes for this movie, it would be a crime not to!

• January 30, 2014 at 6:29 pm

it is expected that will be on the DVD…i just hope james offers a blu ray version of the film and not only standard DVD 480p resolution…

• January 30, 2014 at 5:03 pm

When do we get a Mrs. Nerd reveal? :p

• Oncogene

January 30, 2014 at 11:28 pm

A couple years ago? (Check the blog)

• January 30, 2014 at 6:27 pm

DO NOT throw these out!! these are production materials! wish you had kept the previous stuff you removed from the bulletin board in a basket/binder/or even a trash can. you could keep these for archive purposes to look back at 10 years from now.

• January 30, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I noticed for sure that you hadn’t posted much this past month of January, I check multiple times each day to see what’s new on the site. I told my fiance’ whom came with me to meet you at retrocon back in Sept. that you probably have been doing heavy duty work on the movie since there haven’t been many updates (new videos). So glad to see I was correct and that you’ve made progress, I can’t wait for the movie! Keep up the awesome work all of us fans really appreciate it!

P.S. I also noticed that the Retrocon from Sept. is one of the only cons that isn’t on the new DVD or on the site. Glad to see I got that exclusive first hand!

• Tammy Smith

January 30, 2014 at 9:06 pm

James please don’t release this movie and ruin your reputation. Your videos are one of a kind but this movie is going to be so bad it will be the end of Avgn. The money is gone and let’s be honest the reviews of this movie will be so bad it’s career ending. Pull the plug. People will forget about their donations and forgive.

• BladeRunner

January 30, 2014 at 10:31 pm

it could do the opposite for his career, that’s why artists and such need to take risks. And you have a very negative way of looking at the whole thing. Also lots of directors/writers have flops every once in awhile and It hardly ever ends their career, specially if they have body of preexisting work that already has notoriety of being good.

• Oncogene

January 30, 2014 at 11:31 pm

This doesn’t make sense. Even if the movie is objectively awful, no one is going to go “Well I’m not going to watch anymore AVGN stuff on Youtube anymore because of that movie!”.

Also, you have no idea what reviews of this movie are going to be like. Any good reviewer will take into account budget and creativity and James has said before that if you don’t have hundreds of millions to work with (Like many blockbuster Hollywood movies), it forces you to be more creative with the plot and character development. So relax!

(And on a sidenote, “pulling the plug” at this point would actually be a horrific career move.)

• The Kaleidoscopic God

January 31, 2014 at 11:39 am

Because so sayeth Tammy the prophet? Quit being a douche. James is pursuing a life-long dream with this movie. Why the hell would you even go out of your way to discourage him? No, really, what do you stand to gain from making this post?

• February 4, 2014 at 7:43 am

Attention. And he got it! :p

• January 31, 2014 at 11:53 am

he *had* to make a fillm. it’s the only way to graduate from a tv show which is what his internet episodes are to the big screen/cinema which is what a movie is. people mature and improve and move on and ahead. it has nothing to do with reputation or money etc. it has everything to do with improvement

• January 31, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Dickheaded, ignorant, asinine, unnecessary.

Those are just a few words to describe what you said. How do you know anything about the movie? Have you seen it? Do you know the finer details in and out? No, you don’t. Stop pretending you do.

• culwin

February 1, 2014 at 11:17 am

This Tammy Smith character must be trolling.
      9/10, friend

• BladeRunner

January 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm

can’t wait, been waiting since day one to see this. I never had any idea when you first mentioned you were making a AVGN movie that it would be such a big production. I figured maybe the same budget as the show or something. This movie is going to be better than any expectations I could have had. And the hard work you’ve been putting into it for years just shows how much of a true artist you are. What you do with AVGN is great, I’ve seen every episode probably almost 10 times each(sad I know). And I’ve been watching since 2006 when around the time you put the Friday the 13th video up. I watch your videos on holidays traditionally, like you horror related AVGN videos I’ve been watching every Halloween since 2006 and of course Monster Madness (which makes every October great). I guess what I trying to say is your videos are just fantastic and there’s a real quality to what you do.

• Dan021

January 30, 2014 at 10:57 pm

James! Keep all of the stuff you have for the movie! Always nice to have these for bonus on the DVD/BluRay and we can also buy some off you if you need more money for other things you are planing in the long run.

Thanks to everyone making the movie possible! Can’t wait!

• January 31, 2014 at 1:28 am

Take my money pleaseeeee… just take it now, do a special pre order and take my money

• Blue Wizard

January 31, 2014 at 3:54 am

I’m glad to hear this has been a productive month and I hope you’ve enjoyed the few breaks in between the long hours, days and weeks that have passed. Progress is noteworthy satisfaction while working toward a final goal. Good job everyone!

• Andreas Nilsson

January 31, 2014 at 7:19 am

Good work!
    Just take your time, so you can make the movie perfekt. We will wait.

• greedo

January 31, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I love these updates. The fact that you’re able to take time out of your busy schedule shows that you really appreciate the fans. Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to see the finished product when it finally comes out!

• January 31, 2014 at 4:00 pm

If this movie doesn’t get an oscar (or multiple), I’ll come over and shove the Oscar up the Judges’ ass!

Btw. how about a Top 10 Movie scenes that should have Shit Pickle edited into them?
    Anyone make a Shit Pickle screensaver? no one? Oh I guess I have to do it myself.

• Legato32x

January 31, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Good work everyone! James, be sure to keep those shots. They could make you big money down the road if you autograph and sell them. Also, thanks for being cool by sticking to what you love. Truly an inspiration!

• Pablo1989

February 1, 2014 at 1:11 am

Well met James :D ive hope this movie gonna be yours biggest success.

BTW About AVGN EP, What you think about product placements games ?

I Just played at my cousin Pepsiman game on PS1, Geez what a crap, even had stupid FMV cutscenes with some unknown guy driking all the time pepsi.

• Dejan Dejanović

February 1, 2014 at 7:47 am

PLAY THE NEW KILLER INSTINCT!!! PLAY THE NEW KILLER INSTINCT!!!

• February 1, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait for the finished product :D

• pokemario99

February 1, 2014 at 6:15 pm

when did you start this again? 2007?

• Oncogene

February 2, 2014 at 10:50 am

Talk began in 2007 but he didn’t begin the preliminary stage until September 2010.

• February 2, 2014 at 3:20 am

Hey James I just realized it 2014 you did the avgn for 10 years so what are you going to do on your 10th anniversary

• CoindoorDave

February 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Don’t toss ‘em…sell ‘em!

• stevenjoe

February 4, 2014 at 8:24 am

Looks like you’re doing a great job. My family and I love the nerd videos. We look forward to the movie.

• February 4, 2014 at 11:11 am

Wow

• Kyle Lee

February 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm

This is amazing, James! I have been following Cinemassacre for years, but I decided to register an account today to tell you how happy I am to see how much you got done on your movie! I really think that your movie will be amazing, and I can’t wait to see it. Thanks for all of your videos. Every time I am down, I watch one and it makes me feel better. Kudos!

• Brad Cunningham

February 7, 2014 at 9:24 am

I’m so excited about the movie, and I must add that I appreciate you James for taking the time to give us a glimpse behind the scenes about the creative process. Every time I watch a film today I think about the sacrifices and logistical juggling you have done to make this happen, and while I have no desire to engage in filmmaking I have a new appreciation for the creative talents behind the work. Even in text your updates teach me something new, and it’s super cool!
    Again, lots of luck on the film, and I can’t wait to see the finished project! :)

• February 8, 2014 at 2:29 am

Holy crap. Halfway done already? Congratulations, man! Take as long a break as you feel you need to.

• skwij

February 9, 2014 at 4:15 am

Thanks for the update! Please keep working at the movie, the videos, the website, all of it! Thank you so much.

• February 15, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Ya buddy!!

• February 16, 2014 at 6:18 pm

The Grand and Celebrity Theaters line owns 100% of box office movie line here in Lafayette, La and with Blockbuster closed COX Cable has an monopoly on renting movies. I what to see this so I hope the The Grand or Celebrity Theaters line will pick it up if not; I’ll see it once it’s on Blu-ray, Hulu, or Youtube. COX will be dumped this year.

• February 25, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Oooohhh man, I can’t wait to see the movie and then watch the longest credits in the history of movies thanking everyone of the hundreds of people involved in this behemoth of a collaborative effort! How long were the Lord of the Rings extended edition credits, the ones with all the fan club names? 20 minutes plus, for all three movies? LET’S BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF ALL OF THEM COMBINED!

• eric mooney

February 26, 2014 at 2:43 pm

great work, hope the movie comes out within next couple of months and we get the regular avgn videos back.. also really enjoying james and mike mondays

• March 11, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Um I hope this movie comes out