Justin Carmical (JewWario)

James / January 27th, 2014

I was shocked and sad to hear the news that Justin Carmical, known as JewWario, passed away. My initial reaction was pure denial, that it was just an internet rumor. But then, I saw the following blogs.

ScrewAttack

ThatGuyWithTheGlasses

ThePunkEffect

I suggest reading all of these personal stories from people who have known him. I never got to know him closely, but was still deeply affected when I heard the news this past weekend. I couldn’t even think straight. I sat in the middle of the floor, just saying “Why?” over and over and again. While the rest of my internet peers have been facebooking and tweeting about it, I couldn’t even find the words myself. I’m sure lots of us all feel the same way.

I had briefly met Justin at the Magfest convention, for a few years in a row. I was on a panel with him one year called “The art of video game reviewing.” He seemed like a nice guy. He was very easy to talk with. Whenever I was in the same room as him, he seemed very genuine and natural. At Magfest 2013, last January, I filmed a short scene with him for AVGN: The Movie. It was a group setting, with a bunch of game reviewers present, Justin included. The scene was completely improvised. I gave them guidelines, but let them say whatever they wanted. Throughout the improving, Justin’s comedic timing was spot on. He seemed like he had a great sense of humor and was fun to be around. Anyone who was there could attest that we were all having fun.

Even though I never got to know Justin closely, I remember moments like these, with him and all the other web personalities that I meet at conventions. I would have never guessed that anything could have been wrong. That’s where the more tragic part of this comes in, that his death was caused by his own will. I could never know or understand how this came to be, or what caused him to make that choice. We may never understand.

In my history of writing publicly online, this is my least favorite thing I have ever had to write. If anyone is out there who comes anywhere near close to such tragic circumstances, please come to someone for help. You all have much love from me.

Comments

• otherside4

January 27, 2014 at 3:05 pm

N..no way. This indeed is unfortunate news and anyone who knew of him and the joy he brought and the laughs will feel this pain. RIP Justin Carmical:(

• nintendoassassin754

January 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

A song to go with the news. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_KyJpRuKU

• Santa Horse

January 27, 2014 at 3:28 pm

It infuriates me when people call it ‘selfish’ or ‘taking the easy way out’, because it makes it sounds as if it’s some sort of plot or ploy, almost as if suicide is comparable to trying to get out of doing the dishes or phoning in sick from work to avoid a presentation or something. It shows a complete and utter disregard for the seriousness and finality of the decision, and it also insultingly implies that said decision was made of a mind as sound as that of the person judging. In reality, I can tell you from first-hand experience (I’ve had suicidal episodes myself and also chemical dependency issues caused in part by depression) that it is not a rational choice, it is one borne of total despair and desperation. Nobody kills themselves if they don’t feel they have to. Suicide is, by its very nature, tragic because it comes from a flaw within the victim, whether it’s depression or from becoming trapped by earlier poor decision-making. Whatever the case, instead of childishly judging people for it people should try understanding how and why it happens, or at least empathising with the victims. And of course, let’s not forget that those really suffering here are his wife and closest friends (I don’t know if he had children or not). I guess that’s why so many say it’s ‘selfish’ because the dead person doesn’t face the consequence of their own death, but…well, yeah, I shouldn’t even have to explain why that’s a stupid belief. Death IS the negative consequence. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that many of those who adhere to this way of thinking are also religious and believe in the afterlife, going so far on many occasions to post messages about how the suicide victim is in hell. I’m sure their families are very grateful for such spiteful trash to be circling the web in their time of mourning.

In any case, this should not be a contest as to who’s the most caring or who’s the most offended by an event that has no direct connections to them whatsoever. Nor is it even really about speculating on the reasons for it. This is simply a time to offer condolences to those left behind, to remember the impact Mr Carmical had on people, and to hope none of us ever have to suffer from a similar bereavement in our lifetimes.

RIP JewWario. I regret that I never took the time to really watch his work and I’m just pleased he found and sustained such a loyal audience.

• punksterdaddy

January 28, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hear hear mate. Most sensible thing I’ve read regarding all this.
      Some videos I have seen, who I will remain nameless here, are akin to a sick joke (Although I do not believe they intended to do so). Turning the whole thing into something about themselves and not the person concerned.

It’s nice to see James not going down that road and instead points to others who knew the man best.

Is it wrong of me to get angry, at all the people crying over this, whether they knew him or not? I feel sorry for Justin and his family but all the people making videos, who maybe once shared a laugh with him in an elevator 6 years ago make me sick.
      They might be very genuine and sincere or at least think they are, but I just think that it is them that are the selfish ones, not Justin.

The man must’ve toiled with this for a while, until he finally felt so trapped that he saw no other way.

As I said before, it is Justin I feel for…

Unfortunately it does now feel like some contest to make a video and ask “WHY SO SELFISH?” While crying into a camera lens. So I’m glad that you’ve posted this, because I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt that way.

Why don’t we celebrate his life instead of acting how badly this has affected them. That would show respect for both him and those making videos while crying.

• Senna4ever

January 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Hate to come across as “crass” or “blunt”.
      But suicide is selfish and it is the easy way out.
      Whether it be a decision made in the right frame of mind or not is irrelevant and just a “tree hugging” way of looking at things.

I feel sorry for his wife and any friends and family he has hurt by doing this.
      But he showed he true colours at the end I guess.

• Chewieshmoo

January 28, 2014 at 4:24 pm

No it is obvious you enjoy coming across as crass / blunt.
        You have stated your opinion and view but it is a very ignorant and uneducated one. If that is what you think you have no understanding of clinical depression. Please do some research before making such ignorant comment. If you truly believe one who commits suicide is being selfish you have no understanding of the inner suffering people like him go through. It is not about simply being “rational” or “not thinking of others” etc, if only it were so easy. I don’t condone it, I don’t excuse it but I DO understand it. I can assure you at the moments leading up to his suicide knew full well the effect of his actions and if he still chose to go through with it then clearly he was unable to continue coping with his inner demons. Clearly he did not get the help or treatment he should have or if he did it wasn’t enough or the right treatment (counselling, medication etc) but if you think such things are done to “take the easy way out” you seriously need to research and educate yourself. Now, I have no doubt instead of taking this advice you will retort but I will leave it to others if they feel compelled to waste time replying to you, I know such things go round and round in circles when dealing with ignorant people and I don’t have the time or patience to give you such satisfaction.

• Relaxed Video Game Nerd

January 28, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Suicide is never easy.

• Relaxed Video Game Nerd

January 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Santa Horse you are a wise man.
      Don’t think i have seen anyone explain suicide so accurately before, also speaking as someone with a suicidal history.
      It makes me sad a lot when the subject comes up, because most people don’t seem to understand what its like, maybe that’s for the best.

• Rekki17

February 2, 2014 at 10:15 am

I’m sorry (or should I say happy) to say that I am one of those people who do not understand it and probably never will, and I’m not even religious.

Then again, maybe it all comes from experience. My experience with the matter had been dragging my 13-year-old brother out of the open window when I was only two years older and seeing the crushed, dead faces of my friend’s parents during her funeral. She’d thrown herself of the rood of the nine-stored building, head-first.

After that, no matter how bad things got, there was a stopper in my mind before I even entertained the thought, and I simply cannot phantom now how there couldn’t be. Maybe that’s where I’m wrong.

I was shocked, sad and kind of angry when I heard about Justin and, shamed to admit, a bit judgmental too, not the least because the matter sort of hits home for me. Anyway, thank you for illustrating the other side of the coin. It felt like a wake-up call. I may still never understand it, but at least I’ll try to keep the judgment at bay and do some research on the matter instead.

R.I.P. Justin.

• GeedAwesome

January 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I hope you leave his appearance in the movie, James. He never got to finish FamiKamen Rider but to know something with him will be out in the future is comforting.

• January 27, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I have to agree. I also hope James leaves him in the movie. It would be really cool to see JewWario one more time.

• Lukas Sprehn

January 28, 2014 at 7:27 am

We will actually see him in a couple more things, I believe. A crossover was filmed with Lewis Lovhaug (Linakra), Justin (Jew Wario) and some other people. It was filmed at Magfest this year, I believe, and has yet to be edited. There is a few other things, I think. But I also think that James should leave Justin in the movie. I will miss him so very much. His family, friends, including the fellow reviewers, and his fans have all my well-wishes and condolences. Also, to Justin! We are grateful to having had him in our world and lives, and will keep him in our minds and hearts. Thank you for spreading your good sense of humor and fantastic mood to all of us who have gotten to see you. We already miss you.

• Kenshiroh

January 27, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I would also like to see him remain in the movie.

• January 27, 2014 at 5:13 pm

This is indeed very tragic, I hope him and his family find peace. R.I.P Justin

• Ivan187

January 27, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I didn’t know who was JewWario until you posted this.

• January 27, 2014 at 6:45 pm

It’s a tragic event no matter how you look at it. I was never a fan of his videos, but I still feel the pain because it’s just not a good thing ever when someone takes their life. Whether you believe it to be a cowardly act, or someone not being right in the head and not being able to help what lead to his death, it still hurts to lose someone to suicide whether you knew them personally or informally. I’ve been suicidal in my life, and I pray I never will ever again, so I know how it can affect your thinking. You don’t always think straight when depression hits you that hard. I hope that whatever it was that caused Justin to take his life that he has finally put his soul at rest from the demons that haunted him that traumatic day.

• greedo

January 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I have never heard of Jew Wario before, nor have I seen anything that he’s done before. (But the name Justin Carmical rings a bell for some reason). But I hate it when someone takes his(her) life. What a tragedy. What a waste. You have to go to some dark places in order for someone to even contemplate taking their own life. I know, because I was there. A little over 3 years ago, I contemplated taking my life. I was in a wretched state. I felt as if the world was passing me by. I felt as if my life was slipping away from me. I was at home, no work, no girlfriend, no real prospects. My mind was deteriorating too, as I felt my cognitive abilities slipping away. I felt that there was no point in me going on any further, so I figured that the best thing for me was to take my life. I felt I was of no use to anyone, and it would be better for everyone involved.

But the thing is- I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I just couldn’t find the wherewithal to pull it off. Something or another just kept delaying me. And then sometime in the spring, I experienced what I can only describe as a spiritual awakening. I came to realize that things were not as bad as they seemed, and that things would get better, eventually. While I’m in still in pretty much the same position as before, I have a new perspective on things. It’s been a long hard struggle, and I still have my moments, but I know that I’ll make it. Just going to take it a day at a time.I

One thing that I’ve realized from this experience: People who attempt to commit suicide do so because they want the pain to stop. They don’t really consider how it will impact their families, or friends. Nor do they really consider the morality of it. They feel like they are trapped, and that suicide is the only way out. But it really isn’t. All it means is that you’re letting the pain win Most people who commit suicide don’t do it because they want to. They do it because they feel isolated, and have no one that they feel that they can reach out to.

So I’d like to give this word of advice: If you’re thinking of doing it, please don’t. You are a unique individual, and we need you. Once you’re gone, there will be no one else like you. If you feel like you are alone, believe me, you’re not. There’s a whole world full of people who are willing to help you, if you’ll only listen to them. Heck, tell someone anyway, even if you think that they won’t listen. You never know how they might respond.

• Joker83

January 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Much love all

• Taraalcar

January 27, 2014 at 11:34 pm

His parts in the TGWTG anniversaries had me in stitches.

• Shanethefilmmaker

January 28, 2014 at 1:43 am

James, you have my condolences.

• frostare

January 28, 2014 at 3:58 am

Oh man, my prayers go with him. I never met the guy or heard about him to be honest, but a person is a person and I can’t just ignore this happening. If he had a role in the movie we must ask ourselves, what could he have wanted. How should his memory be honored.

• MetalHorrorNES

January 28, 2014 at 9:07 am

I never heard of him before unfortunately but it is indeed very sad to hear. I couldn’t even finish reading the article I found on google and I will not get into what made me stop reading. My deeepest condolences to his family and friends.

• BladeRunner

January 28, 2014 at 9:28 am

This is very sad, I read about this yesterday. I wasn’t one of his biggest fans by any means but I still saw him in a lot of That Guy With The Glasses cross overs & such. Its just hard to believe when anyone does this.

• curiousgyorg

January 28, 2014 at 9:51 am

Rest in peace, friend

• January 28, 2014 at 10:53 am

It’s times like these that make you realize these people you watch on the internet every day have personal problems and feelings just like us. It’s easy to see them as separate from the real world when you’ve never actually met them, but they still face the same day to day problems as you & I. I send all my condolences to Screwattack & Carmical’s family. I have never seen his videos, but I can still be respectful in recognizing the effect he had on everyone. People like him, James Rolfe, Mike Matei, Pat Contri, ect. Let’s not say who’s better or worse, and let’s just remember why they do what they do: To entertain us, and to bring some laughter as well as some knowledge into our lives. And for that, thanks for playing on!

• croagunklover

January 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

It’s so sad to hear this unfortunate news. His friends and family will be in my thoughts as they work to cope with this tragic loss. RIP Justin Carmical.

• marc_lawson

January 28, 2014 at 1:06 pm

You’re a good man, James. This is really sad. I wish he got the help he needed. Even in an extroverted world, people often don’t really talk to each other.

• January 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

…. I’ve been there…..gawd have I been on the suicidal thought path. Quite a few times. I agree with others here; if someone’s life is in such a state of chaos that they feel they have no choice but to commit suicide, then something truly is wrong. They’re not thinking clearly, and it takes a lot for someone to consider this. And I also agree with something else; they want the pain to stop. In my case, it was circumstances with other people that were making my life a living hell, and didn’t care or stop to think about how it was affecting me….and one of those thoughts was on my 21st birthday. Not kidding. A few times were different, where I felt like my entire life was spiraling out of control, and there was nothing I could do. But it never, I thank God, got beyond an idea…. …..I don’t feel going into the details would be dignified, so I’ll leave it at that, and I have a lot more fight in me these days, so…..anyway… I regret that I didn’t take the time to look at his work yet….it was part of what I’d planned to look at, among the other things I’d wanted to catch up on (mostly all of it being “Internet personalities” like this; still, this proves what I think is all too often forgotten about in the digital age; that everyone behind the computer, behind the camera, behind the persona they want to give us…everyone is still prone to problems, afflictions, and the infirmities of mortality. …Farewell, Justin. You will be missed.

• greedo

January 28, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I found myself getting a bit emotional as I read your comment. Thank God indeed that you’re here! Well said, my friend. Well said.

• January 29, 2014 at 11:49 am

I mean every word of it, friend. Every word. Love is going out of this world….so many people chase the love of money nowadays, or power, or other things…and they forget about love. It shouldn’t be that way…. Well, I guess we just do the best we can, so that’s what I’m gonna do; share love with people, the best I can.

• Shannon Gold

January 28, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Rest in Peace Justin. My condolences to his wife, family, friends, and the entire gaming community. I only regret not watching more of Justin’s videos more often (Even though I have seen him in the TGWTG Anniversary specials). When I saw him he always made me laugh. He will be missed.

• Pablo1989

January 28, 2014 at 4:16 pm

“Let us hurry to love people they depart so quickly”

• Relaxed Video Game Nerd

January 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm

The comments here has warmed my heart and restored some of my faith in humanity again. I apologize if that is inappropriate to say…

R.I.P. Justin.

• January 29, 2014 at 11:52 am

How can that be inappropriate in uncertain times like this? All the fighting and the feuding, the madness… I for one thank you for speaking up…the people who really care will also thank you, and caring people need to know that other caring people still exist in today’s society.

• January 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm

• January 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

i had read a statistic a few years ago that said at least 50% of college students have contemplated suicide at one point for one reason or another. that wasn’t surprising to me. in a vast majority of cases, people choose this because they see no other way out for whatever reason it may be. that is what all clinical studies have concluded: there’s just no way out of a difficult situation. in the 90s, a young teenage girl opened up a credit card and found herself in $1k debt. she killed herself over that debt. she saw no way out. this was in the USA and is a true story. if you can’t trust someone to talk to, trust yourself and walk back and away to take a breath and refocus. you don’t have to find a way out. you can stay in and change it with time…time doesn’t squeal nor does it make fun of you/judge you.

• January 29, 2014 at 12:11 am

I can say that other than thatguywiththeglasses crossovers I’ve never seen any of his work before, but since hearing the news I have gone thru and seen some of his videos. Now I can say that I am a fan. Situations like these are always the roughest, but I’m glad so many people are giving their love.

• CrushingC10996WM

January 29, 2014 at 8:52 am

I remember him best for the TGWTG Anniversary movies, and he was so funny in all of them. I know I was amazed to hear what happened, and how it happened just put me in denial. Well without going on my own blog, I just wanna say it’s a terrible thing to happen to such a nice kind hearted person, and a terrible decision for ANYBODY to make. Things will always get better, especially in the worst of times, and escaping in like that is the worst thing you could do. You are loved rather you realize it or not, and you’re special in your own way. R.I.P. Justin

• diegowar

January 29, 2014 at 9:00 am

It feels somewhat less tragic to me since he committed suicide (which I will never understand. I know one can be extremely depressed and feel horrible, but to deny that things can’t get better is pure madness to me) and I wasn’t one of his viewers, but it’s still sad to hear. May others not follow his path.

• January 29, 2014 at 11:21 pm

My friends told me we had been loyal viewers since 2010 and when we heard we didn’t believe it but then we checked the net and sure enough the bad news wasn’t a hoax or rumor and let me tell you something it’s not easy watching a idol to you pass away long live Justin carmical

• January 30, 2014 at 4:26 am

sorry to hear he died, but I’ve never heard of the guy..

• J1a8son

January 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I, like many, did not watch his own videos. I saw him in the anniversary films, and he always made me laugh in those. Though, now, my favorite video of his is the one showed at the end of his tribute on TGWTG! That video touched me, because I’ve never had many friends at all during my life. I WAS told I was stupid. I WAS told I was an idiot. I’ve been called a waste of space, even. But that video helped me feel like there’s someone who does care. R.I.P. Justin Carmical (JewWario) You will be missed by many including me! Thanks for making me feel like I matter and will go on to do great things! He was a truly great guy!!

• RetroArcadeGuy

February 3, 2014 at 1:01 am

Tragedy has struck down one of the most charismatic individuals to grace this planet,he was the nicest guy, probably the only Blistered Thumbs/TGWTG that was nice enough to friend me on Xbox LIVE and give this fan the thrill of his life, he will be missed.

• Vivi239

February 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I honestly didn’t know about this until the other day when someone told me, and my reaction was exactly the same as James’ was. I; shocked and dumbfounded, and obviously depressed, just sat there thinking to myself; “Why?”

• Shanethefilmmaker

May 4, 2014 at 11:39 am

I first heard about this when I surfed, TGWTG’s site. I at first was confused as the wording of the article was similar to one where it announced his departure from the site. So I ignored it at first, thinking it was a site glitch. But my curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on it. At the time the article was posted they gave no details regarding his death, which was a good thing because finding out he died was bad enough and it allowed those like me, who found out through TGWTG’s site, to let it sink in for a while. However unlike others, I wanted to know more about it, so I went on other sites. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon TVTropes that I found out what caused his death. As sad as it was, it didn’t really surprise me that he went out like that, because I have read things, prior to his demise that he openly admitted that due to his own depression, that despite his nice guy demeanor, he was suicidal. Not many remember it, but during a livestream he used said admission as a way of letting fellow TGWTG contributor Iron Liz that she was not alone on the subject. Which in turn caused a boom in comments on that stream where fans expressed their own stories regarding the matter. I myself am unlucky that I didn’t meet this guy in person. I never really showed interest in his solo contributions such as You Can Play This and I Like Candy until he left Channel Awesome. However I was a huge fan of his part of the crossover series. My personal favorite being when he almost got run over by the Molossia Railroad and when he tried to take on Mechakara Takei style in To Boldly Flee. Though when I did show interest in YCPT among most things, my regret was I didn’t see this more often. If there was such thing as a Mister Rogers of the internet, it would be Justin Carmical.

• May 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Doing good adds meaning to life.

• Rachel Hiatt

October 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Just putting this comment out there. Is there a fan that made their main Mii look like JewWario? Cause I saw a Mii dressed as him, with the yellow Wario cap. His introduction was “JewWario from yt”