AVGN Movie Official Poster

James / September 19th, 2013

The months flew by since the last movie update in April 2013, so I made another. (See the September 2013 update here.) Sorry for the video quality. It’s a bit rushed. Basically, this is my long answer to “when is the movie coming out?” The short answer is that it’s taking way longer than expected, but it WILL get done. I finish everything I begin.

The official poster is ready! It was designed by Pavel Lagutin. Check out his awesome work at pavel-lagutin.com. Also thanks to everyone for helping come up with the tagline. We sort of used a hybrid of different ideas we heard.

You can buy the poster at ScrewAttackStore.com.
$10.00 for 18″ x 26.75″ Non-autographed.
$15.00 for 18″ x 26.75″ Autographed by me! Expect a delay. ScrewAttack will ship your orders to me first, I’ll autograph them, then I’ll ship them back.
All proceeds go directly into helping to finish the movie.

AVGN-POSTER-WEB-QUALITY

Here is a link to the timeline tracking the movie’s progress.

Also, here’s an alternate link to the video on Blip.

Comments

• thegreat81

September 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Done and done! Can’t wait!

• Taraalcar

September 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Daaaaamn color me hyped. This is gonna be nuts.

• September 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I thought you weren’t a fan of posters/cover art that’s just all the characters photoshopped together. Did Mike even do a temp or mock-up or something in his style?

• Lukas Sprehn

September 20, 2013 at 9:19 am

The poster’s been painted. Please try and look into things before you make such comments. Just… try man.

• September 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm

‘Its busy’ is the base of this criticism. It’s crowded. I don’t actually care if it’s photos or hand-made or digital.

• Lukas Sprehn

September 21, 2013 at 10:43 am

Crowded? So you’re critisizing it for having too many faces? I do agree a little though. I already had a cool design in mind. Maybe I’ll do a photomanipulation of AVGN photos and photos from the movie when it’s out to create my own fan poster… It’s going to be cool, I hope :)

• ifisch

September 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

@Lukas

I don’t think the issue is having too many or too few faces. I think the issue is the overall composition.

There doesn’t seem to be a focal point, like you see in other face-happy posters, like star wars or return of the jedi.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but it reminds me of one of those bootleg DVDs you buy in a foreign country – the kind where the title is “Spiderman 2″ but you see Robert Downy Jr. and Christian Bale on the cover.

• September 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Awesome! I’ll order it within one or two days! Love everything you do man!

• September 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Woo hoo!!! Loving it more every day!

• September 20, 2013 at 6:37 am

cold have used a better tag line, but at least it looks pretty cool.

• September 20, 2013 at 6:38 am

i meant to say it COULD have used a better tagline.. not COLD have used a better tagline, lol

• Lukas Sprehn

September 20, 2013 at 9:18 am

How about getting some digital purchase option as well? Some people are into that. I know it might feel kind of sad to take such an approach because it’s generally nicer to have the real thing, I know that (which is why I’ve ordered already. The signed deal :D) but there are people who cannot afford to pay shipping :(

• Icemouth

September 22, 2013 at 6:34 am

I’m assuming this is just an (incredibly unfunny) joke? Who the fuck would want to buy a DIGITAL POSTER?

Right click, save picture asshole.

• Mike Scrase

September 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

Cool. I did think a good idea for a poster for the movie would be an oldskool painted one, since it’s an adventure movie. I was expecting maybe even like an Indiana Jones poster parody or something. I was actually maybe gonna do one myself and submit it as fanart.

• Prosercunus

September 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm

“Coming this Lifetime”

What if you are already really really old?

• hexus

September 21, 2013 at 1:35 am

its a good poster but its a bit dark in a few places i used a dodge brush to brighten the characters faces a bit http://i.imgur.com/4E2v3jT.jpg

• Lukas Sprehn

September 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh, that actually made it look much better. Not that Pavel hadn’t done a great job already, but this was just the icing on the cake :D

• September 21, 2013 at 3:34 am

I bought the poster! Glad to help fund the movie. Post Production is expensive.

• max kanevsky

September 21, 2013 at 4:54 am

The poster is so epic and very cool James good job and I liked how the poster design is made like on of those 80′s movie posters nice touch too bad that they don’t make those no more now a days and may I say that is a fine art work, right there. Can’t wait untill the movie comes out can you tell when exactly please cheers.

• September 21, 2013 at 6:16 am

This is just beautiful, so well balanced, it tells you a story in one picture.

• joan holliday

September 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

Aaron. if you, thought Carol`s remark is impossible… yesterday I picked up a great new Ford Mustang from having earned $9392 this-past/5 weeks and a little over ten thousand this past-munth. it’s definitly the most financialy rewarding Ive had. I actually started 3 months ago and right away startad earning minimum $74 per hour. right here …..
      W­W­W.B­A­M­2­1.ℭ­o­ℳ

Go to website and click Home tab for more details.

• russiancthulhu

September 21, 2013 at 6:46 am

“The Signed AVGN movie poster is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item.”

Damn.. All the copies got sold out already ?

• Lukas Sprehn

September 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

I guess so. I had time to order one though… :/

• September 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

nice!

• September 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Nice but definitely crowded. I would scale back the supporting characters put the nerd in the front.

• Topper Harley

September 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Great poster. Yesterday i tried to order it…not available anymore. I’ve checkd again today. And what can i say? It will be on the way :) The signed one btw. I hope it will be in a good shape. It’s a long way to germany :D I missed the opportunity to spend while IndieGoGo was online. Now i’ve done something for the movie. Great feeling! Keep on rockin’ James, this will be fucking awesome!

• Dylan Spallin

September 24, 2013 at 9:19 am

Ordered a signed poster :) First time posting but long time AVGN fan, can’t wait for the movie!

• Calavera

September 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

All proceeds go directly into helping to finish the movie.
    You asked for $75,000 you got over 300k just from indiegogo. Then you charged to see the trailer, now making money off the poster. Seriously James what are you doing with the money. It should not cost that much to make an AVGN movie.

• September 26, 2013 at 3:49 am

when you have bear mcreary doing the soundtrack and tons of post vfx work without studio funding and your film career is dependent on this film being good its a general rule that the more money you can put into paying for vfx and film score ect the better it is going to be.

and the fundraiser probably only gave back half of the money to james since the government took the rest in taxes. he didn’t say you had to buy the poster. he said it goes towards having the movie completed.

Completing a film fyi costs money. james does not have studio funding. making a film takes time. fucking resevoir dogs cost 1.2 million and that was filmed mostly in one location for the whole film. the 0.2 of that film is essentially the budget of this one. try to be understanding…

• Lukas Sprehn

September 26, 2013 at 4:23 am

Oh, and that too! Bear McCreary, James’ good friend, The Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome composer, now Emmy-winning composer. I don’t think that comes cheap.

• Lukas Sprehn

September 26, 2013 at 4:22 am

Clearly you do not know what you are talking about C.alavera. Except the fact that they are making money off certain things. I’m starting to wonder whether any of James’ fans and viewers actually understands that Cinemassacre is indeed a business, and a registered production company.
      The initial 75,000 for indiegogo was only for starters. If James had only gotten 75,000, the plan from there was to seek out private investors to fund the film. 75,000 was never the funding goal. This is the typical route you take when crowdfunding projects like movies. 75,000 is the bare minimum for something like this. Secondly, what is the deal with the “it shoudln’t cost that much to make a movie based on the AVGN.” Says who? You? Are you James? Do you know what he wants to do? We got to lay some facts down here. The first is that this is most definitely not a project the likes of what Doug Walker and co. from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com and Channel Awesome tends to make. Most of those guys don’t even dream of being movie directors, as with James, it’s his dream to go all-out and become a professional.
      Since the fans went above and beyond, James didn’t have to seek out much private investing. Which is great, because he was able to keep the film the way he wanted, without 3rd parties coming in and making changes.
      The fans funded 325k on indiegogo, but that gets taxed. And indiegogo takes their cut. So they were left with signifigently less than 325. Then there were unforeseen expenses. Like absurdly expensive California locations for one. You think that just because the AVGN Movie is a smaller project, the owners of the locations used in the film would charge them less? No, they wouldn’t, and they definitely didn’t. James and co. actually walked into several places where they found out J.J. Abrams and other big directors were about to shoot films like Super 8, and the places that wasn’t booked already wanted to charge them up the ass with expenses the likes of what Paramount pays for these locations. So the budget ballooned up. Oh, and the remaining money are being used for the practical special effects and miniature models and such. James isn’t pocketing a single penny. I just want to make that clear.
      Now, you mentioned the trailer screening. Did you know that almost every single penny went to a good cause? Like restoring the hundred year old theater that the trailer was screened it? And do you know that most of these kind of trailer screenings want you to pay? Do you know that people had a choice not to come? And that it was not only a trailer, but also a Q&D and autograph signing. I’m not saying that’s a lot, nor am I am saying it’s too little for the price they offered, but you should at least look into things and take these factors into consideration when making a comment like this.
      Now, about selling stuff, making money etc. Why do you care? Why should you? You shoudn’t really. James gotta make his money from somewhere. By the way, a lot of advertisement for indie films include merchendising like this, and a lot of the money that the filmmakers get they put into the film itself, which they’re doing with the AVGN Movie posters. But again, why should you care? If you’re a viewer simply continue to watch. I don’t see the big deal.

Now, I gotta get back to the fact that you said an AVGN Movie shouldn’t cost that much to make. Do you expect it to be a bunch of game footage cut together? James writes what he wants, and make the films he wants, that’s his nature, that’s what his fans like him for. He’s an adventurer. Any filmmakers are, really, and there’s not nearly as many people complaining about the directors who get their films into the theaters. How do you know that they don’t get their budgets from some shady business? Or did you expect him to know all about L.A. and how it works, and wish he had just made it all back in good old Philaldelphia? What if the the script called for actual California locations? Scenes in California that they HAD to get in order for the film to make sense?

There’s so many people here who doesn’t know a thing about filmmaking. It’s mind-boggling. Do you all expect these indie filmmakers to Kevin Smithimize all their stuff? Do you even know that Kevin Smith has made films for more than a million dollars? The 27,575 dollars that Smith used for Clerks ended being 230,000 post, so that argument is out of the way. Most short films today, and I mean the nice and professional looking ones, actually cost about 100-800 thousand dollars to make, even for the indie filmmaker. Please come back when you have something valid to say Calavera.

By the way, the reason I know all of this about the movie is because I worked on it. Just look it up, my name’s on IMDb. Also, I don’t intend to hurt your feelings or anything like that Calavera. In fact I want to wish you a good day, but I just ask that you look into stuff properly before making accusing comments.

• culwin

September 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm

GUYS! Calavera here is an expert on the movie-making industry, don’t you know that? He sits on his ass watching videos and movies every day, so I think he knows a lot more about making a movie than anybody else. DON’T DISPUTE HIM!!!

• ejp022791

September 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Ordered my autographed poster. Patiently waiting. :)

• September 26, 2013 at 3:50 am

i got mine (non signed) in the mail. looks awesome with my other movie posters. glad to support the film being completed.

• Lukas Sprehn

September 26, 2013 at 4:24 am

It would be awesome if I have mine coming in with the mail today :D I ordered around the day it was announced. But I live in Denmark, which is a long way from America…

• SGold93

September 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I ordered mine Sept. 20… Here’s hoping its on its way so ( I live in Brooklyn NY) I ordered the signed copy though… I’m such an impatient person but the poster is badass and having it autographed is going to add to its awesomeness…. I’m definitely looking forward to the movie!

• SGold93

September 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Ordered it!

• Aaron1375

September 29, 2013 at 12:45 am

Coming this lifetime…oh man, not sure I’m that optimistic it will come out in my lifetime, but here’s hoping.

• ifisch

September 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I think another issue is that the poster doesn’t really convey much about the movie itself. You have a black kid looking pensive, AVGN looking like he just stubbed his toe really hard, a hot redhead glancing at AVGN like wants to bang him, a bearded guy who looks like he belongs in a making-of documentary.
    Then you have the general looking like he’s taking a shit. Is he the main antagonist? If so, who’s the foreboding looking dude in the top center? Also, zombies??

Kindof seems like a mess to me.

• Outlanders

October 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

do more Autographed poster =/

• william marks

December 8, 2013 at 4:06 am

Like all your shirts in My size, all your posters are out of stock to. Maye find a better place then screw attack? Was buying 2 posters and 3 shirts been waiting forever for a restock. Black friday sale no restock got screwed by screw attack. Was hoping to help the cause but I give up using that site. Really can’t wait for the movie. I support you James any way I can.