King of the Monsters 2 (Neo-Geo) with James & Mike

Mike Matei / August 21st, 2013

Comments

• LordGeo

August 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm

It is true that the NeoGeo line-up is generally really, really good, but there are some infamously bad stinkers you two can look into, James & Mike.

There’s Legend of Success Joe, a boxing game based on the classic boxing manga Ashita no Joe/Tomorrow’s Joe, which is commonly considered one of the absolute worst NeoGeo games. Unfortunately, the AES (home console) version was only released in Japan (under the original title, Ashita no Joe Densetsu). Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer is also considered pretty below-average, as is the Double Dragon fighting game (based on the live-action movie, no less!). Finally, Eightman, a beat-em-up based on the manga of the same name (shown in North America as Tobor, The Eighth Man), is also apparently pretty “meh”.

As for KotM2, I remember playing the SNES version with a friend years ago & we always loved playing it. If you guys want another awesome-but-unknown NeoGeo game, though, definitely try to get a copy of Windjammers, which is an addictive mix of Pong (or ultimate frisbee, in this case) & air hockey.

• culwin

August 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Live like a Windjammer.

• August 22, 2013 at 3:09 am

Yeah, i remember that in Italy was called Rocky Joe causing mass confusion about that because everybody tought that it was like the early years of Rocky and his real problems with death as a possibility and the consequences that takes on your mind.
      Really good Manga/Anime, but why call it Rocky Joe in Italy, we will never know that.

• Frow

August 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm

What a noisy controller! lol
    Nice video guys! it’s great to hear you talking about neo-geo.

• August 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Neo Geo games are so fun! Thanks for the awesome video!

• Luke Absolom

August 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Wicked to see the hardware of a Neo Geo! That baby is a BEAST! Reminds of World 4 on Super Mario Bros 3!!! Shame you don’t see any Tits on that level haha!

• Steve

August 21, 2013 at 6:58 pm

How much does the average Neo-Geo game cost? I have been to a lot of different stores that specialize in classic gaming and i have never seen any on the shelves.

• FJMcCloud

August 22, 2013 at 4:42 am

Anywhere from $40 to $1000 or more!
      I use the neo-geo.com price guides as a starting point.
      but then you need to realize rents are going up. And inflation overall.

The store I bought Fatal Fury Special (AES) at for $60 now charges $130 for it. Bigger name AES fighting games can routinely top $200.

General rule of thumb: Neo CDs are cheapest, MVS carts are in between, and AES carts are priciest.

• Ross Cohen

August 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm

James and Mike quickly became my favorite series on Cinemassacre. I remember always seeing the console box on shelves in my local video-game store, but it was way too expensive for anyone to own. Mike mentioned he would rather be playing on a SNES controller, but back as a kid I would play this on SNES, and my friends called it “The Blister Game,” because a lot of finger sliding and button mashing was necessary. By the way, is this recorded in New Jersey or Philadelphia? I had the exact wall tiles and ceiling in my old home, brings back great memories!

• mike keith

September 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Its a set. In a basement. You can see James walk around the outside of it many, many times during a Nerd episode, most of the time when he was being chased be somebody. Also on the videos of the guys going over each others DVD and VHS collections, James keeps some older videos on shelves down there, the shelves are on the wall that the other side of it is the inside wall of the set. Pretty good idea, I assume its James’ basement…

• BladeRunner

August 21, 2013 at 7:26 pm

awesome video guys, is there still more parts in the Atari series??

• August 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Yes, we have a lot left planned for Atari. There will be other videos inbetween the Atari parts.

• Stephen Hackney

August 21, 2013 at 7:36 pm

The reason the game’s audio cuts out but the game keeps running fine otherwise is because the game itself and the music are on two separate circuit boards in the cartridge. If you look under the cartridge you can see them. You must have had a bad connection with the music board but not the game one. Other consoles’ cartridges put everything onto one circuit board mainly to keep manufacturing costs down. One of the reasons Neo Geo games were so expensive was that they actually costed a lot just to manufacture.

• Kermit Johnson

August 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Guile theme goes with everything, motherfucker!

• Elvis Perez

August 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

There is a King of the Monsters 2 SNES version of that game, That has better controls and power you use in the game. I’m mega SURPRISED u Guys have never play this game before. The game has similar ending like street fighter 2010 when u fight all the bosses at the end

• August 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

this is off topic i’m sure, but I was wondering if James will continue to do the Monster Madness videos this year as usual. I can easily send my recommendations since horror is one of the genres I am familiar with. much like James ranting on TMNT III, I was originally planning to do the same with Hellraiser Revelations. dear god it sucks. the other videos I’ve kept wondering if James or Mike will discuss about is the 20th anniversaries of Doom, Star Fox, and Clayfighter, or at least a response to the new Killer Instinct game. sorry for getting off topic, but I had to ask.

• August 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm

if he does continue with Monster Madness, I would love for him to discuss Wishmaster. I’ve been requesting that film for 3 years now. anyways, I’m not familiar with the Neo Geo system. the only games with the word Neo Geo I was familiar with, as a kid, was those arcade fighting games. it’s funny how King Of The Monsters is a Godzilla-ish like game without Godzilla in it. I thought Godzilla was considered the King Of The Monsters. hell, even the Cartoon Network show Firebreather tried to claim that title. Godzilla was and always will be the King Of The Monsters. as Duke Nukem would say it, Hail To The King Baby!

• August 22, 2013 at 8:56 am

James has already stated at panels and on his twitter that there will be Monster Madness again this year. Be sure and visit each day in October because this will be the best Monster Madness yet.

• August 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

awesome. although, I don’t visit twitter anymore so I wasn’t aware of it. either way, I’m looking forward to it. if there is 1 film i highly request James to discuss this year, it’s the Wishmaster films. I have requested that film to James for what seems like 3 years now. the original film was directed by Wes Craven and features a demonic Djinn as the villain. the actor who played him is named Andrew Divoff. and damn he’s one cool actor. his mannerisms, his demonic voice, his performance is so highly under-rated. you hear that voice, and you’ll feel goosebumps creeping up your spin. he even killed in the film Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, even Tony Todd. the Djinn’s ultimate goal is this: One who wakes a Djinn shall be given three wishes. Upon the granting of the third, the unholy legions of the Djinn shall be freed to rule the earth. you can see why I highly recommend this film to James for Monster Madness. I truly hope that this year, my request will finally be granted. as the film’s tagline states: careful what you wish for.

• August 24, 2013 at 4:05 am

Awesome. Although, to be fair Mike, to me at least, the Godzillathon year was and shall remain by far the best. Speaking of which, I would really love to see James skip some more of the obligatory schlockfest and slasher, more modern horror films, and see him go back and cover some more of the actual classic “monster” flicks. There’s surely still quite a lot he hasn’t touched upon.

But either way, I can’t wait for October!

• BladeRunner

August 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

nice, can’t wait till October. My favorite month of the year!!!

• mike keith

September 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Mike, will it be the classic style of Monster Madness? I mean, will it be every day like before, or every other day like last year? cause I kinda felt cheated last year, lol.

• edward jones

August 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Great video guys. It was crazy that the Neo Geo back then was almost $700 and $300-400 per game.

Hey Mike, what do you think of the Neo Geo Gold X? To me, it seems like it was built for nostalgia purposes. Me, I would rather have the actual system and the games.

• Jordan

August 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

The “arcade” vs. the “home” versions are exactly the same game wise. The only difference is the carts in the actual arcade machines had a clear casing, and said “insert coin” and the home version of the cart was black and said “Press Start” instead.

• Dan021

August 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Turtles in time! lol the music is so good, it fits almost anything. Just like Guile’s theme!

Keep it up guys, really good episode!

• August 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I use to have a couple Neo-Geo arcade cabinets and a whole bunch of games for them. It’s much cheaper that way, the home version (both the console and carts) and much more rare. The arcade boards are so much more common that people actually build consoles out of them to play the arcade carts on their TVs rather than buying the home version.

• Aaron1375

August 21, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Nice video…I enjoy watching you two go through a game. I am looking forward to more of them! I am also really wanting to see more of the Atari vids!

• August 22, 2013 at 12:16 am

awesome video guys, keep them coming. two of the most talented people out there are James and Mike. Thanks for everything you guys put out.

• August 22, 2013 at 1:03 am

I was a King of the Monsters (1 & 2) fan on the SNES. I was first introduced to it at an arcade. The music in King of the Monsters 2 for SNES is really fantastic; it was a bit redundant but I truly believe it’s in the top 15 soundtracks for SNES.

• August 22, 2013 at 1:47 am

There actually is a cheaper model of the Neo Geo called the Neo Geo CD which allows the games to be played on discs rather than the big-ass expensive cartridges. I hear that it’s a pretty great console although I also hear that it has really long load times for the games because the cd wasn’t fully ready yet. Though the rest of the game experience is supposed to be good.

• FJMcCloud

August 22, 2013 at 4:57 am

Neo Geo CD is a fine console. It was my first Neo-Geo. But it does teach you patience. I recommend it for the earlier games (e.g. Magician Lord, Mutation Nation) which can fit entirely in RAM after the first load time.

Last Blade 2, on the other hand, has awful load time. Imagine waiting to load the versus screen, waiting to load the pre-fight TAUNTS, and then waiting to load the round itself!

+ Standard s-video and stereo audio jacks built-in by default
      + Built-in save RAM
      + Power LED standard :-)
      + More RAM than a baseline N64
      + Some games have good CD audio soundtrack remixes!

- 1X CD-ROM drive in an era when 2X was already dirt cheap
      - 1X CD-ROM + 7 MB RAM == almost a minute of load time to fill.
      - No Universe BIOS upgrade (yet)
      - No Neo-Geo save RAM cartridge slot option (it’s built-in)
      - Some games have awful CD audio soundtrack remixes!

• August 22, 2013 at 2:21 am

Oh boy, the Neo-Geo AES. I had hoped you guys would mention the AES for years. I’ll give you some credit for showing the Neo-Geo CD though. This system is so awesome, I just wish that there was a good RPG for this console. Would have been great. To the potential collectors that are thinking about getting into collecting these carts, beware, there are a crap load of fake reproduction carts that are complete in box. Some are very good fakes and hard to spot, some not so much. But the sellers of the fakes almost always get away with it because the games are so rare anyways that it is hard for the average person to verify the authenticity. Not to mention the real carts sell for VERY high prices. There is somebody on Ebay right now selling Metal Slug 1 & 2 for $99,000.

• FJMcCloud

August 22, 2013 at 4:34 am

There IS a good RPG for the Neo Geo CD, provided you can read Japanese. Samurai Spirits RPG.

• fcabanski

August 22, 2013 at 2:23 am

World record for most statements uttered with question inflection.

• August 22, 2013 at 4:17 am

I been a huge neogeo fan all my life. Neogeo for life bitch!! Theres not really many bad neogeo games btw,.Try this site http://videogamecritic.com/neogeomr.htm

• skwij

August 22, 2013 at 5:06 am

I never knew anyone that knew anyone that had one of these things. Thanks for the video showing it. I always thought that a Transformers game done in this style could be cool… Thanks for the music edit!

• grandizer74

August 22, 2013 at 5:16 am

I remember reading in video game magazines the plan was for people to buy the neo geo home system and then go to the arcade and rent the games from there. I don’t know if they ever actually did that.

• batratspidercrab

August 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

Im so getting a Neo Geo just for this game!

• Smeghead420

August 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

The Star Wars character you were referring to was Ponda Baba. The one that lost his arm…. which left blood but with any other lightsaber wound it was always cauterized. Sorry for the Geek-rant.

• Snejku

August 22, 2013 at 9:53 am

Very cool! The Mike and James play videos are really fun to watch, do a couple of more with Neo-Geo.

• Wendy

August 22, 2013 at 10:44 am

Finally! Something about Neo Geo! I knew of it as a kid, but…like you said, no one actually had one.

Personally, some of my favorite Nerd videos are ones that focus on actual consoles (Sega CD/Sega 32x [but I remember those lol, Atari Jaguar, etc.) and the histories behind them. I’ve always hoped that one day you’d do a video about the actual Neo Geo console, not necessarily the games themselves (since, as you pointed out, apparently they aren’t all that bad). This is close enough, I suppose.

Nice video! I’ve only played Neo Geo games through the Virtual Wii.

• MAMEFan

August 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

There was a place near my house in VA where they had nearly every system and game at the time in the early 90′s, including Neo Geo. You paid an hourly fee to play as many games as you wanted on any system you wanted. It was called Mega Video Games, and it was amazing.

• August 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yaay! I knew you guys would review this game some day! It’s awesome!

• August 22, 2013 at 1:04 pm

the godzilla-ish monster James was playing as at times looked kind of similar to Space Godzilla with the blue skin color and the tropical colored chest. it’s also funny because I also saw the Rampage reference, although it also seems to resemble the super famicom Godzilla fighting game. here’s a helpful hint, the clone system known as the Retro Duo allows you to play Super Famicom games and some European Snes ports very easily. so, if James or Mike wanted to play that Godzilla game I just mentioned or even Super Back To The Future Part II, without the need of using the actual Super Famicom system, the Retro Duo allows you to play them like any normal Snes game. that multiple Clone Systems that are out now could very well be it’s own nerd episode.

• August 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

speaking of giant monsters, I was wondering if James and/or Mike saw Pacific Rim yet or if you guys plan to see it eventually. if you didn’t see it, you missed out on something special. it was the first time I got to see a well made american kaiju film that was not only fun but original. with the new Godzilla film coming out next year of May 16th 2014, there have been ideas of merging the new Godzilla film and Pacific Rim together. in fact, if you look at how the jaguars were built in Pacific Rim, it would be highly possible that in a possible sequel, we would see Mechagodzilla return. while I still prefer the 2nd Mecha-G (since the first was rather glitchy and the 3rd was constantly unresponsive), I would love to see a 4th Mecha-G done right. the one monster i’m still waiting to see return in a possible sequel is Mothra.

• Travis McNabb

August 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

The part without the music was the funniest thanks to Mike for improvising. As always, great vid guys! Thanks for making my day.

• pyroman512

August 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I really love these videos, I enjoy history of video games stuff and really enjoy those nerd episodes that talk about specific systems and what not.

This game totally made me thing rampage which makes me really want to play it now.

• Esau

August 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I noticed you mentioned Anguirus and pronunciation of his name. In the original Japanese version his name is written アンギラス, which would be romanized as “Angirasu.” This would be pronounced in English as “Awn-gee(as in geese)-raw-soo”. Japanese’s written word, unlike English, is a syllabary instead of an alphabet, which conveniently for this means that any name that is written down in hiragana or katakana has one singular pronunciation.

Of course, this also means that Japanese is limited in its pronunciation of words. It lacks many of the sounds that we use in everyday conversation. For example, if you were to transliterate the name “Herman” to Japanese it would sound like “Hey-roo-mah-n”. In addition, the way that Japanese stress syllables is entirely different from English, usually much less. So for example when we say “Toyota” we say “Toy-YOH-ta” but in Japan they simply say “Toyota” with no emphasis on any vowel. So while we know for an absolute fact that the name is DEFINITELY not pronounced “An-GWYE-rihs” we don’t necessarily know whether it’s, for example, “AWN-geer-uhs” or “awn-GEER-uhs” or “AN(as in ant)-geer-ihs,” etc. as Japanese has no equivalent sounds in its language.

In any event I’ve rambled too long as I always do and no one will probably ever read this anyways, but I’d suggest a most proper translation of the name as “Ahn-GEER-ihs”. It sounds closest to the original while maintaining the romanization of the name that has become commonplace. Take that with a grain of salt but that would the interpretation of a hopeful future translator and interpreter.

• SuperJaneEyre

August 23, 2013 at 3:03 am

lol I just logged in to explain that, too, but you’re a future interpreter and I just took a basic Japanese class, so you explained it way better than I would have ^_^

I do want to add the explanation for them that even though it’s spelled Angirasu that a lot of times in Japanese syllables can be contracted, especially “su” to make a shorter sound, so “su” becomes an “s” sound attached to the “ra” sound.

My teacher didn’t explain that for weeks and we were so confused as to why she was pronouncing words so differently than they were spelled lol so, knowledge shared!

• SuperJaneEyre

August 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

Also the spelling variations with swapped L’s and R’s is because the two are interchangeable when romanized, officially written as “r” but indicating in Japanese what’s considered an “l” sound that’s actually pronounced more like a glottal “d” sound, so “l” and “r” are both the same sound that English-speaking tongues aren’t trained to make.

And sorry if you knew any of that stuff already!

• br34l

August 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

why not guiles theme?…goes with everything ;)

• August 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Fuck yeah James finally busts out the Neo Geo! It’s too bad that you didn’t record the little Neo Geo jingle when the game starts up, I love that little jingle.

Do you have any of the Metal Slug games?! Those games are so much fucking fun!

• Joe

August 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I think Mike was beat up by some jocks/football players in high school or something. This is like the umteenth time I’ve heard him bashing football. Hey Mike, I’m a football coach, grew up playing sports my entire life but I also love video games. You have some insecurity with people who are athletic and your aren’t? Just because you grew up not playing or being around sports doesn’t make them stupid.

I’m a big fan of yours and James, love your guys videos and reviews. Keep up the good work.

• August 23, 2013 at 7:26 am

I think you’re right. He does seem to have some sort of deep seated hatred for football and anything related to football. I don’t know if he got picked on growing up by someone who played football, or if some other traumatic event surrounding football happened to him, but he definitely does not seem to like football. It’s a shame though, because college football is awesome!

• August 24, 2013 at 4:09 am

As a huge NFL fan (despite their increasingly inane rules and practices), I must agree with that. However, James has gone on record as not being a sports fan either, neither of them are. It just so happens that James (in real life) is actually the less aggressively vocal one on that kind of thing. Either way, it’s hardly a big deal whatsoever, if Mike hates football. Good for him, doesn’t affect me any, really.

• FJMcCloud

August 23, 2013 at 2:35 am

James and Mike,

If sound is cutting out you need to clean your Neo and the cart. As someone else mentioned, the sound is like a separate cartridge (as are the graphics and program). Probably those pins are just dirty.

The usual remedies (pencil erasers, rubbing alcohol, electronics contact cleaner) all apply. Make sure there’s no black gunk on the cartridge pins, and try to clean out the console, too.

• BrandeX

August 23, 2013 at 6:14 am

Anguirus in it’s original Japanese (アンギラス skip the final “U” vowel sound) is pronounced approximately: “On-Gear-Us”.

• Gintoki Sakata

August 23, 2013 at 11:21 am

Can you review the Neo-Geo game “Magician Lord”, a quite hard platform/adventure game, during one of the next AVGN episodes ?

Thanks :)

• pleasetakeabow

August 24, 2013 at 4:35 am

James, thank you so much for finding this game! When I was really super young I would travel with my Mom on a ferry sometimes and they had this arcade on the Ferry (random, I know). I always had a very vague memory of playing this game but was never able to fully describe it to anyone.

• SNKNostalgia

August 24, 2013 at 9:40 am

Just to help you guys out on the sound issue:

The two different PCBs in the cart have separate functions. One for graphics/programing and the other for sound. Just clean the boards well with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips and the cart slot of the system the same with a toothbrush. Another way to help if it is a seating the cart issue is to insert it and pull it up just enough to feel it budge a bit as you do it. Two carts as one game is the best way to perceive it. Reset button won’t solve anything.

• erik37

August 24, 2013 at 10:50 am

should have played some old Metallica behind it lol

• adenton7

August 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Man i really want a Neo Geo. You should review all your Neo Geo games. I think that people would enjoy seeing a lot of the more obscure systems that are good. I always enjoy watching your stuff keep up the good work.

• Radelta

August 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I’m surprised you guys actually like this game. Any game where most of the gameplay is frantically mashing the buttons as fast as you can is a piece of shit in my book.

• Andrew Thorson

August 28, 2013 at 8:21 am

Wow I guess you’ve never played Legend of Success. It could quite possibly be the worst arcade game in the history of arcades… Oh and you can buy SNES controllers that work on the Neo-Geo if you are interested.

• Ben_from_G-town

August 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm

It was cool to finally see a Neo Geo video. I’ve been hearing about this console from a friend for quite some time.

King of Monsters 2 looks fun! It’s a shame there’s only three monster choices, but that’s about all you had in Rampage and other games of those times. Though, with the extra storage, you’d think they’d have room for more characters. Oh well, it still seems awesome.

• Ben_from_G-town

August 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm

But yeah, it makes sense that you never did a Nerd video on this since most of the games are good, and/or are fighters, which doesn’t give you much to talk about. That joke from the AVGN intro is still good, though. MAN that cartridge is huge!

• August 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

What was the music/soundtrack at the end right after LOZ segment? I’m gonna really hate myself if it’s well known.

• Iron65

August 29, 2013 at 2:34 am

I wish you guys can play more neo geo games… Since most neo geo and snk games launched on the psx later years… I grew up with them too… Try to get Magician Lord. It’s of my top favorite sidescrollers… It’s really good !!!!!

• gluserty

August 31, 2013 at 9:28 am

Cool video; I played a Neo-Geo arcade system at an AMC theater back in the day, but never the home console.

• Ome

August 31, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I have this game on Snes, I played the ever living snot out of it. It was the first game I could beat solo on hard mode I played it so much.

• Lanlost

September 4, 2013 at 12:53 am

Mike,

In case your curious. I’m pretty sure the arcade Neo-Geo uses the EXACT same ‘cartridges’ but they just aren’t enclosed in a case. As far as I know that’s the actual and only difference. As in, they literally take the arcade boards, which use a standard pin setup, and slap it in a cartridge. The Neo-Geo is thus, basically the rest of the arcade cabinet with a flag switched that tells it ‘hey, I’m the console version, not a coin-op.’

Someone please confirm.

• SNKNostalgia

September 8, 2013 at 10:20 pm

This is not the case. The boards inside the MVS carts are longer and have a different pinout. The game data is exactly the same as with the AES. You would have to buy roughly a $200 MVS convertor cart to play them on the AES.

• Harley Jackson

September 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

That monster at 6:41 kinda reminds me of Krumm from “AAAAAHHH! REAL MONSTERS!”

• September 11, 2013 at 7:31 am

These videos are great cause they are fun ‘let’s play’ videos, but most of all because it’s two old friends doing what they’ve loved to do since being young. There’s something special about that.

• fallout1312

October 25, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I love you guys. You 2 remind me so much of me and my friend Steven. I love every single 1 of the videos I’ve EVER seem posted on Cinemassace. Thanks so much for doing these James and Mike. Cheers.

• Mario Reyes

December 2, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I’d love to see a nerd documentry on the Neo-Geo!

• December 19, 2013 at 11:57 am

I played this game yesturday

• January 9, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I’d say a cross between Rampage and Final Fight? Looks like a lot of fun!

• kar84

January 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

the boss mike died on looked like the brain bug from stormship troopers