The Legend of Zelda – 1st Quest Swordless Run by Mike

Mike Matei / August 4th, 2013

(Post by Mike Matei)

The Legend of Zelda is my favorite NES game. However, I’ve beaten it so many times since I was a kid, there’s no surprises left. That being the case, I decided to challenge myself by attempting to make it to the end of game with NO SWORD! This is mostly just footage of the game without commentary. But hardcore Zelda fans may appreciate it. Enjoy!

Comments

• Belligeron

August 5, 2013 at 3:30 am

Ok, I thought I was good at this game, but you definitely hold the crown as far as I’m concerned.

• Belligeron

August 7, 2013 at 3:17 am

Oh, did I forget to say “First?” No…I didn’t. I’d like to strangle everyone that does that… If that gives you a sense of accomplishment then you seriously have no life.

• August 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Thank you. It’s one of those immature things kids like to do. We all did stuff like that when we were younger, but it doesn’t make it any less annoying.

• BTfireliu

August 5, 2013 at 4:01 am

Great challenge!

• August 5, 2013 at 4:02 am

ah im wanted to be the bitch that said first

• Thifurious

August 5, 2013 at 4:22 am

Mike – this is awesome! I’d love to see more really long videos/playthroughs. The full playthrough coop Contra video with you and James was great as well.

• BladeRunner

August 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

wow long video, but Mike has the video game skills!

• August 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Yeah, I don’t expect anyone to really sit and watch the whole thing, unless they think they might want to try it for themselves.

• Tyler Morelock

August 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Hello there Mike!
        Can I request a game for you to review?
        Spider-Man for the PS1,N64,Dreamcast,and PC?
        That game is awesome!
        The sequel was ok,some don’t like it and I can see why,but it’s not as bad as Superman 64!

• LauraB333

August 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I want to watch the whole thing….but I was on Level 5 and got booted off…so I’m back. Let’s try this again.

• Rasengan999

August 6, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I watched the whole thing, and I’m not even planning on doing the Swordless Run. (:

I’m actually planning on playing it the whole way through for the first time, though. Thanks to this video. (:

Keep up the good work, Mike. You inspire us all!

• August 26, 2013 at 2:59 am

I feel all of the content posted by you guys is entertaining from beginning to end. I’m sure I, along with true CineMassacre fans, will enjoy the fuck out of all future content. Thank you guys for the laughs.

• August 5, 2013 at 11:17 am

Wow! Awesome job, Mike!

• stoney_1

August 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Oh man, I wanna play LoZ soooo bad right now!! I’m gonna give this a try!

• Thomas

August 5, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Lol. I started watching this video while i was eating and just did end up with watching the whole video. xD
    Really impressing. Thx for this upload. Guess tomorrow is time for this 2nd quest thing for me. ^^

• Syph

August 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I love when you guys do stuff about good games!

• Ryan Schaffer

August 6, 2013 at 12:15 am

Awesome video Mike. Oh, and as a friend, get some rest man.

• culwin

August 6, 2013 at 12:45 am

New challenge:
    no sword, no hearts

• Valis77

August 6, 2013 at 1:03 am

very impressive mike

• August 6, 2013 at 2:24 am

impressive!

• August 6, 2013 at 3:20 am

I spend a lot of time watching guys do speedruns of Goldeneye for the N64, so 4 hours of sword-less Zelda is not a problem to sit through. Seeing people push their skills to the limit in video games is always interesting and fun to see.

On a side note, no HD for this video? If I try to turn HD on it just says “Stream not found: Cinemassacre-26000.mp4″

• August 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

Hey mike what happend to your 50 deathblows video? i was up for half a day then it was gone

• August 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

was this done on a real nes or emulator

• Squall85

August 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I just remembered, there’s a challenge in Super Mario to finish the game with the least point you can get. Try to avoid coins and arrive late at the finish line :)

• S.Grondin

August 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Great work, Mike!! This reminded me of this video of a swordless Link:

• August 8, 2013 at 12:01 am

This was basically my reaction to this video.

“Ah cool, Mike put out a new Zelda video! ‘Swordless Run’? This is going to be awesome!”
    *Clicks link*
    *Clicks play button*
    “229 MINUTES AND 39 SECONDS?!?!? Umm… OK, maybe not. I’ll just skim through some of it.”

And then I watched the whole thing anyway. :P

• August 12, 2013 at 6:04 am

Yeah, I put this up knowing most people would skim through it. Really, this is just to have a record that I did it. I don’t expect many people to sit through the entire run unless it’s interesting to them.

• August 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Nice run, but you can BEAT Gannon without the sword as well.
    This was changed in the newer release in 2002 when it hit game cube.

Use the bow and arrow, in the original NES version it would also spawn a sword graphic, be it a ol debug type of thing I’m not sure.

My best was no swords and no rings…

Lord I was bored as a kid.

• August 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Note: The arrow itself will not hurt gannon, but the area in front of you should register a sword strike where the normal sword animation should be. So no across the room hits.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

Yeah, but that’s on the Gamecube. So it doesn’t count.

• Tim McKernan

August 11, 2013 at 8:21 am

Mike I watched the whole video while playing FF5. I was trying to think about the proper responce to the video the whole time and the best i can come up with is: You know in the movie man in the moon with jim carrey where he goes to the university and is supposed to do some mighty mouse bit but ends up reading the entier great gatsby (I hope you do) well there is one or two people at the end that really applaude and cheer at the end. Because Andy Coffmen is doing what he loves and only some people can understand and appreciate it. Great job i’m glad i watched it all go down.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

Hey thanks. I understand that this would be a pretty boring video for many people. Which is why I only did this as a blog post. I really just did this for myself, and the small group of people who would appreciate it. Also, I am an Andy Kaufman fan, so I understand your reference. Thanks.

• August 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Lacks commentary.

• August 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

What would I have said for 3 1/2 hours? “Oh look, I’m walking past a bush. Now I’m stabbing a guy. I just got a bomb”. Yeah, that would have been worthwhile.

• Tim Cantrell

August 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

lol.

• August 16, 2013 at 9:36 am

Haha this is excellent, Mike! I understand the approach and appreciate it! My buddy and I having been playing Contra together for years on a regular basis (Contra III: The Alien Wars being the most played). We got to the point where we had beaten the game without dying and needed to challenge ourselves some more. We decided to beat the game with Machine Guns only, Hard Mode, no deaths. We recorded it to VHS and we finally put it up on Youtube. We knew we wouldn’t get a lot of views because it is over 30 minutes long and that most people would skip through it, but it was worth it enough to post. Check it out if you have the time and keep up the good work on the site! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUlAl6msxQU

• August 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Well I did it… I had to beat level 2 first. Then 1 and 3. Got the ladder off of level 4. Obtained all the possible hearts on the Over world. Went and beat level 7 next. Then it was smooth sailing from there. Level two is where you go to get mad rupees from the Ropes. Spend a lot of time there to get ‘Would you like more bombs’ money and for the big shield. You have to beat level 8 before level 4 believe it or not. The book allows the Rod to act like a sword in order to kill Gleeok. It was mad fun! I gathered the Red Ring, Silver Arrow, Map, and Compass without the sword! Thanks for the inspiration Mike. You kick ass! Later. Nicholas.

• Tim Cantrell

August 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Thanks to you, I started a new save on the GBA version. I’m gonna do the challenge as well. Also, gonna start a new save on the NES Zelda 2. Did you know that chronologically Zelda 2 is the newest on the official timeline?

• skwij

August 18, 2013 at 5:02 am

I don’t imagine that getting the red candle was ever a bigger relief. Well done!