Audio Slaughter podcast #4 – BLACK SABBATH

James / June 11th, 2013

I’ve been obsessed with Black Sabbath since I was in high school. I’ve been wanting to talk about them on the site for many years. Now that the new album “13” is out, this is the perfect time. It’s the first Black Sabbath album to feature Ozzy Osbourne on vocals since Never Say Die (1978) and the first with 3/4 of original members since Born Again (1983). This is not just an album. It’s an event. Let’s celebrate!

This podcast is 3 hours long! Like I said, I’m obsessed with Black Sabbath, so it was impossible to hold back. I suggest downloading it and listening to it when you get time. It’s like a novel. You have to bookmark it!

Sabbath-IMAGE

Listen here

04 Black Sabbath

INDEX

0:00:00 – Intro

0:03:00 – Current music events

0:08:00 – Describing the Sabbath sound and their legacy

0:25:35 – Pre-Sabbath (Polka Tulk and Earth)

0:30:55 – Black Sabbath (1970)

0:34:00 – Paranoid (1970)

0:38:15 – Master of Reality (1971)

0:41:20 – Vol. 4 (1972)

0:44:45 – Crazy stories (Ozzy Vs. Chickens)

0:49:35 – Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

0:55:55 – Sabatoge (1975)

0:58:35 – Technical Ecstasy (1976)

0:59:50 – Never Say Die! (1978)

1:03:00 – Heaven and Hell (1980) And the Ozzy/Sabbath split

1:12:35 – Mob Rules (1981)

1:14:20 – Live Evil (1982)

1:18:00 – Born Again (1983) and crazy stories

1:31:05 – Flux period and Live Aid 1985

1:32:30 – Seventh Star (1986)

1:37:35 – The Eternal Idol (1987)

1:41:10 – Headless Cross (1989)

1:42:00 – Tyr (1990)

1:42:55 – Dehumanizer (1992)

1:45:40 – Halford sings for Sabbath opening for Ozzy???!

1:48:15 – Cross Purposes (1994)

1:50:50 – Forbidden (1995)

1:52:45 – Nativity in Black tribute albums

1:55:20 – The Dep Sessions (1996)

1:56:20 – Ozzy Reunion and Ozzfest tours (1999-2005)

2:08:50 – Dio Reunion and The Devil You Know (2009)

2:13:05 – Lawsuit over Black Sabbath name

2:16:20 – Cancer takes Dio away

2:18:40 – Ian Gillain Reunion side-project (2011)

2:20:40 – Ozzy Reunion and New Album announcement!

2:22:55 – Bill Ward leaves

2:27:10 – Tony Iommi fights cancer

2:28:25 – 13 IS HERE!!!

2:37:40 – How we got into Black Sabbath

2:41:15 – Concert experiences

2:46:40 – Autograph signings experiences

2:49:45 – Recommendations

2:54:10 – TMS Top 5 Guitar Players discussion

Comments

• Mega-Otaku

June 11, 2013 at 3:11 am

Great vid james! was really interesting!

• culwin

June 11, 2013 at 6:31 pm

There’s video?

• Lozzo

June 12, 2013 at 3:32 am

Way to prove to everyone you didn’t actually listen to any of this.

• culwin

June 15, 2013 at 12:42 am

LOL it took me 4 days but I just finished

• Davoo

June 11, 2013 at 5:15 am

Thank you so much you guys for continuing to make these~
    When I work, I NEED to be listening to something that engages the rest of my brain cylinders to keep me awake and inspired, and not every podcast can satisfy that like this show can.

• June 11, 2013 at 8:52 am

Meh 3rd. what up

• June 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

One of my favorite all-time bands and Paranoid is still one of my favorite all-time albums, it’s just so timeless. The more I listen to it the more I appreciate Black Sabbath’s rhythm section – Bill and Geezer. I mean, you listen to the album and remember Ozzy’s crazy singing and Tony’s gift for creating the most memorable riffs of all time, but Bill and Geezer are the glue that holds it all together. Geezer’s Bass playing is unusually melodic and Jazzy for a metal band, but it works so well.

Lyrically, it’s one of the first albums of the post-hippie-era, and it’s themes reflect the failure of the peace and love movement of the late 60s and America’s continued involvement in the Vietnam war. It’s a very strong anti-war album, but with a more cynical worldview.

Anyway, shit, I could talk about this all day…

• June 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This is what i have been waiting for! Thanks James!

• corpse123

June 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm

What’s name of the Audio Slaughter intro? From what song is that guitar riff?!! thanks

• Barmy Bastard

June 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Cool podcast. I read somewhere that the significance behind the name “13” was that it took thirteen years to finally get their shit together and make a new Black Sabbath album since their last attempt.

• Barmy Bastard

June 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Also: It’s great to see The Devil You Know get some love. That album is brilliant and severely under-appreciated. Personally, I view it as one of the highlights of Dio’s entire career, right up there with Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Holy Diver.

• thatrandomperson

June 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I shall watch this later. By later I mean now.

• erik37

June 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Nice podcast, seen the reunion tour of Black Sabbath at ozzfest 10 rows back at Pine Knob in Michigan best show ever great bands all day, Already got tickets to sabbath thats coming up soon should be cool

• Atomos1293

June 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm

13 is such a great album…It blew my fucking balls off. I know Bill’s not on the album which is a little bit of a downer, but I feel like the show must go on somehow. I feel like this album is what us True Sabbath fans needed.

• hambukmil

June 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Hmm, well the velvet underground came before and they had pretty fuck up lyrics you know. Nothing to do with hiipies and flower power shit, all this sade masochism and junkie stuff wraped up in Reeds poetry.

• June 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I assume this is a reply to my earlier post…

I said “One of the first”, and I was referring to peace activism of mid-to-late-60s, like putting flowers down the barrels of rifles and anti-war/pro peace and love attitudes amongst rock groups (All You Need is Love). Then the movement died as fast as it began. The lyrical themes of Paranoid is partially an indirect response to this.

Velvet Underground were a great band, but they sang about prostitutes and blow jobs. Not really the same thing.

• Jordan

June 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Nobody compares to Buckethead.

• June 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

That was really frosty, James. Sounds like you know even more about Sabbath than me, and I didn’t think that was possible. Glenn Hughes is my favorite singer on the planet, so I really liked hearing the high praise about the Seventh Star album. I especially liked how you sounded out the “g” in his last name…had me cracking up. No offense! Cross Purposes is my favorite Sabbath album though. The only one of the Tony Martin albums to have Geezer…just a great all-around assault by the band. I’m downloading this and putting it on my ipod. Oh and here’s me doing “Changes” from Volume 4.
    – Freeze

• holyjupitershit

June 12, 2013 at 12:29 am

Great podcast. I listened to all three hours of it earlier today. And this was after I downloaded 13 from iTunes. The podcast was like the opening act for me. Then a brief dinner break, and finally, the main event, 13.

I’m so happy and relieved that Sabbath did a new album together. Sure, Mr. Ward isn’t present, but the new dude on drums does well. He’s getting no hate from me. It would be great if he was, though, but I guess we can’t have it all.

• RoadkillRobin

June 12, 2013 at 5:21 am

I love these Audio Slaughters.

Have you two watched the Metal Evolution show???
    If you havn’t, it’s probobly the best history leason in Hard Rock and Heavy Metal you can get.

• MrsNerd

June 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I briefly mention Metal Evolution in this podcast actually. Such a great series! Sabbath is heavily featured in it, too.

• RoadkillRobin

June 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Ohh, lol dunno how i could have missed that being such big fan of that series.

But yeah it’s a really great show, Think i’ve watched the whole series about 10 times.

• kc

June 12, 2013 at 5:37 am

Thank you both for a really cool podcast.

The only thing I’m left wondering is how you can fail to say anything about the triforces (the “A”s in Black Sabbath) on the Never Say Die album cover…

• Paul Fitzpatrick

June 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks very much James you reminded my and I managed to get a ticket before they sold out, I’m 17 at the moment and I can see Black Sabbath in my lifetime as a metal fan as opposed to bands i’ve seen like system and rob zombie that will be around for a long time

• Apparition

June 12, 2013 at 11:53 am

I love these! I had to power through a really cruddy homework assignment, and listening to this helped tremendously.

• June 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

A possible reason why the album is called 13 could be that Black Sabbath released their first album on a Friday the 13th. This might be a reach to try and go back to the bluesy factory jam days.

• ejp022791

June 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Yesss, finally another podcast!

• HeadBangerAust

June 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm

thanks for this dude and congrats on the kid!

• jorsh zavala

June 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Wow i didnt know i was not register to the site and i visit it @least 3 4 times a week!
    any way i just did just to post that this podcast kick mayor ass!
    im a black sabbath/ozzy fan, still i learn one or 2 new things, thanks james and miss rolfe was a well documented info.

the new black sabbath album “13” is what i was waiting for so long.

• June 12, 2013 at 8:15 pm

oh no they dont have neon knight!

• June 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Oh my god, you guys have fun at the Weird Al concert! He’s amazing live!

• MrsNerd

June 13, 2013 at 10:23 am

It was such a fun show!

• June 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I’ve been a Sabbath fan for a long time now, love all the albums for many different reasons. I look forward to giving this a listen at work.

• Einsam

June 13, 2013 at 12:08 am

thirteen is fucking amazing i love it

• samfonseca

June 13, 2013 at 12:34 am

Great podcast. I really enjoy to listen it while I’m working on my projects (comic books). Very entertaining and informative content. You have a great talent in share information, nostalgia and keep everything interesting. It’s kinda amazing.

• June 13, 2013 at 4:29 am

Love Black Sabbath too. Can’t wait to see them this August.

• Gator1987

June 14, 2013 at 4:27 am

Hey James, when you get a chance, you should release your music collection. I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

Great video btw, always loved black sabbath, you nailed it on this podcast.

• Atomos1293

June 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm

It would be awesome to see you do a Sabbath Movie someday (like you mentioned) or at least a full length documentary! Being a hardcore Sabbath/AVGN fan I would be totally stoked.

• hhdh

June 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

Huh. Megadeth released album titled supercollider. Didnt catch megadeth at first and thought you were talking about Cavity, a legendary sludge band who also has album called Supercollider, released in 1999.

If you havent, you should really check Cavity out.

• Scy

June 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

Can’t wait for a Maiden/Megadeth one!

• June 16, 2013 at 12:50 am

It was really great to hear you pour every ounce of your love for Black Sabbath. By the way, did you know that Bill Ward actually returned for a few shows between the Cross Purposes and Forbidden albums? (There’s even video evidence on YouTube!) Bizarre yet badass to see Tony Martin fronting the rest of the classic lineup.

• June 17, 2013 at 3:02 am

did anyone else download this and have it playing through vlc and have the metallica 3 album pictures showing up?

• h31i05

June 18, 2013 at 2:33 am

I love the audio slaughter! Few times a month I have these work trips where I have to drive about 6 hours in my car and it’s so much easier when I have a new episode of audio slaughter to listen to! It’s also great to know there is someone with a similar opinion on these bands

• The Kaleidoscopic God

June 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

What I appreciate Sabbath the most for is how they inarguably invented the entire fucking genre of doom metal (their status as the inventors of heavy metal may be questioned, but not this). Their emponymous song is pretty much DIRECTLY responsible for a lot of my favorite music right now. Thanks, Iommi!

• Smeghead420

June 22, 2013 at 12:13 am

This was great and all….. but how about a Nerd video?

• Sander Valcke

June 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Another great podcast, James and Mrs. 3 hours long but it never gets boring.
    I always open notepad while listening and end up with a bunch of stuff to listen to/watch.
    Any chance of a CD-collection video in the future?

• Mitchell Adkins

June 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

You should do AC/DC next

• June 29, 2013 at 6:26 am

you guys should do one on Rush or Iron Maiden sometime.

• greedo

July 6, 2013 at 1:02 am

Yes, Rush! I’d love to hear James talk about Rush! It’d be interesting to hear his take on the band. I know he’s a fan, for sure. But in all likelihood, we’d probably hear Iron Maiden, first, as James is a huge fan. And it would be fitting, considering the title of the podcast!

• Zaradon

July 3, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Really digging these podcasts and I can only assume that AC/DC is up next, or at least around the corner.
    I would really like to get james’ opinion on the swedish doom metal-ish band Ghost, or as they’re known in the US, Ghost B.C.
    Specifically their first album, as I think it would be more his style.

• greedo

July 6, 2013 at 12:57 am

Wow, this was epic. I’ve started and stopped this over the past 3 weeks or so, intending to play it, but never getting around to it. but I’m glad that I did! Wow, that was an EPIC podcast! I never knew a lot of this stuff about Black Sabbath. Really really, interesting and informative. Thanks for making it!

• greedo

July 6, 2013 at 1:00 am

BTW, every time I see audio slaughter, I’m highly tempted to add “bring your daughter”! Lol! Seriously, though, this is a great podcast. It’s really interesting to listen to you guys talk I can tell the love and passion that you and your wife have for these bands. I could listen to this for hours. You guys could talk about a bunch of dried turds, and I’d still listen! It’s that good!

• Jim Stuart

July 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Man that was long but entertaining. I hope the next one will be about Deep Purple.

• Vega

July 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm

James and Mrs., thanks a bunch for these music podcasts. I’m a stone cold newcomer to most music so these have been very helpful. Your game videos brought me here but your music podcasts are expanding my horizon. Please cover many more bands this way! You said some musicians are very visual, so it would also be great if you make videos about music.

• BloodShank

July 27, 2013 at 3:02 am

What is funny is that I also had a fear of Dio. I thought of him as a sort of sorcerer myself with his music as a way to bring me to his torture room to torture me and then prepare me for a stew. But now I think of him as one of my favorite singers. I guess I have a connection with Mrs. Nerd about Ronnie James Dio.

Rest In Peace, Dio. You will always be remembered.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I know you probably get these types of comments all the time, but I gotta ask. Are we going to get anymore Audio Slaughters? Those first four were fucking awesome, I love all the backstory and the in-depth information. You turned me onto Black Sabbath with that podcast, not to mention helped me in my already going process of getting into Zeppelin and Zombie. I understand if the baby is keeping you from doing it, but maaaan I really want another one.

• Davoo

September 11, 2013 at 11:56 pm

21:43

I heard the baby!!!

• Davoo

September 12, 2013 at 12:09 am

32:56

There she is again!!!

• October 4, 2013 at 1:43 pm

love metal but never REALLY been into Sabbath until now. THANKS im sure u get this constantly but ever considered doing a Maiden epiusode

• MetalliCube

November 13, 2013 at 5:46 am

Hey guys, just want to say I really enjoy the discussion. I’ve been listening during work, and your podcasts help to make my tedious job a bit more tolerable. You don’t really get to hear a lot of musical podcasts, especially for the kinds of bands I enjoy, so it’s refreshing to hear. Looking forward to hearing more, particularly the upcoming Megadeth one which was briefly mentioned 😉

• Davoo

December 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

You know a movie might not work… James is mostly just explaining their history here, and it takes an hour and a half! And a movie can’t just explain the highlights; it has to have steady pacing and let things build up and sink in.

You know what someone REALLY should do? Make an extended Black Sabbath mini series. Like, there has to be about 26 1-hour episodes’ worth of material in their history.

• December 16, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Love this … if you guys are new to metal and all the genres there are being thrown around. Then i can recommend Map of Matal. Go search it in the big bad internet \m/ (>.<) \m/

• April 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Going to see Sabbath tonight! Definitely a “bucket list” thing for me!

• cathy roland

April 17, 2014 at 12:48 pm

have missed you doing these. maybe when things get seettled down 4 you guys you can do them again…hopefully. have 4 kids of my own and i know how challenging it is. Hope to see this come back in the future!!!

• Carson Hearne

May 18, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Are you guys going to make a part 5?

• July 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Good episode. 🙂 If you ever do another podcast of this type, James, then might I recommend… Queen?

• November 11, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I suggest Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC for contendors towards the next episode.

• February 7, 2016 at 10:55 am

I hope you do more of these james, they are fun to listen too. it seems at this point you have stopped doing them tho. 4 months away from being 3 years since you and your misses posted one up 🙂

• Aidan Jaime

March 23, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Do you guys have any history with GWAR?